Bones USA Feedback Thread.

On 2/17/2021 at 8:11 PM, pinkymadigan said:

@Maledrakh - Love me some Vallejo Plastic Putty, but I generally only use it as a filler - can you go into detail on how you use it in combination with glue? Is this a mix thing, or a apply putty to one side and glue to the other and instant adhesion type thing, or something else I'm not thinking of? Thanks in advance.

I put some Superglue on each part, then squirt a small amount of the resin in between/onto one of the parts and quickly press together. If I am to slow the mix will set and I will need to scrape it off and try again. Getting the amount of glue vs the amount of resin is the key for a good bond. 

Sometimes I overdo both, especially when fixing a large mini to a base. A puddle of superglue in the right spot on the base, dip the foot in the puddle, squirt on a dollop of plastic putty and press the part down. Boy, does that set hard and make for a very strong bond. (and oftentimes messy.)

• Like 5
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ordered 5, plus the free one of the new Leprechaun. I’m going to give 5 of them away to my mini-painting friends. I just love the little guy with his pot o’ gold and that sinister grin. 

• Like 3

Just got a few packs of the viceroy enforcers, the death marbles, the bike, and the little guy with the drones.

They are all really good! with all the flat surfaces I was afraid the robots would be a mess of mold cuts, but they managed to keep them very minimal and in easily cleaned places. the bike is surprisingly a two piece model, you just glue the arm on. 

• Like 3

I havent bought a bones mini since wave 1 2013. I must say, i love how far bones have come! I love how the newer waves have improved on what has come before. I am very excited to see bones usa come on line! Congratulations reaper! That being said, what is with the scale creep? I just set my wave 1 2013 lysette next to my bones USA lysette and wow! The new lysette is huge! Is the bones usa line supposed to be a 32 or 34 mm line? The mini itself is beautiful, well sculpted and well cast. I was just taken back by how large it was in comparison to the bones classic line.

• Like 4

I'm still more excited for some of the figures that are in the Bones USA banner than are currently released. I'm eagerly awaiting more additions to this line. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Marc said:

Any word on when the next big Bone Kickstarter will be? I’m assuming most, if not all, those minis will be the new Bones USA material ?

I think right now, Reaper wouldn't be able to churn out the required amount a Kickstarter would demand vs sending orders overseas. Small stuff like VCon held last month, sure. At least not right away.

• Like 3

I had to make an order to restock some paints and wound up ordering Lysette and getting the bonus Romag.  I am super impressed by this material, it cleans up super-smooth and holds a ton of detail.  Slight flex without being afraid of snapping things in half, but not too flexible to have early Bones weapon floppiness.

Took paint real easy too after a simple wash.

• Like 5
On 4/20/2021 at 1:50 PM, Lidless Eye said:

I had to make an order to restock some paints and wound up ordering Lysette and getting the bonus Romag.  I am super impressed by this material, it cleans up super-smooth and holds a ton of detail.  Slight flex without being afraid of snapping things in half, but not too flexible to have early Bones weapon floppiness.

Took paint real easy too after a simple wash.

Did you prime, or just wash and start painting?

• Like 2

Just received my first Bones USA figures - 30031 Theris Vinsom, Mercury Flyer and 30032 Viceroy Scrutator. 

Haven't opened them up yet, but they look really good in the packages. 

We need more of that bike with 3-5 more variant riders.  Preferably with the bike and riders as separate pieces. 

I want to do a cyberpunk bike gang unit I can use for Renegade Scout and 7tv. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My two cents: If possible, would love bones USA figures to have a separate base. I rebase all my minis on round bases of the appropriate size for D&D, and this was a challenge to remove. Had to get out the jeweler's saw, haha. If they are separate from their bases, then people who want the included base can glue or slot them together. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
5 hours ago, undel said:

My two cents: If possible, would love bones USA figures to have a separate base. I rebase all my minis on round bases of the appropriate size for D&D, and this was a challenge to remove. Had to get out the jeweler's saw, haha. If they are separate from their bases, then people who want the included base can glue or slot them together. 

+1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just got a few of my first BonesUSA models with the ReaperCon swag-boxes.  I've not had a chance to paint them yet.  My first impressions:

They're softer and more "rubbery" than traditional Bonesium.  I was a bit suspicious of this at first, recalling some of the rubbery toys I grew up with in the 80's (those toys tended to have low detail, didn't take well to paint or glue, and just looked and felt cheap.)  But, the BonesUSA figures won me over pretty quickly:  the detail is excellent, the figures took gluing really well, and I have a feeling they'll paint up nicely, too.  BonesUSA figures seem like they're going to be much friendlier to basic customization, compared to Bones Black:  the softer material is much easier to clip or cut (such as cutting figures off of sprues.)

These are the first Bones figures I've really noticed mold lines / "flashing" on, though:  regular Bones figures often have at least a little bit of mold line to them, but it can usually be hard to see, but even with my terrible eyesight, the flashing was pretty obvious on a couple of these figures.  This was a little tough to trim off compared to the harder traditional Bonesium and Bones Black material (though my hobby knife is certainly kind of dull at this point, which no doubt makes a big difference); the flashing left ragged bits when I tried to cut or scrape it from the model, with the results being a little rougher in tight spots (like armpits).

I have a feeling BonesUSA is going to be more resilient to getting knocked off the game table by That One Guy in every gaming group (you know the one - he probably eats all your snacks, too, between knocking minis off the table and spilling drinks on character sheets!), as well as routine cat attacks, getting stepped on or vacuumed up, and all the other misadventures to befall typical gaming minis:  the soft, rubbery material is very springy, tough, and forgiving.  I have a feeling it'll take a lot to break off weapons and that sort of thing.  I also have a feeling that - between the material and modern sculpting techniques for Bonesium - noodle weapons might be a thing of the past:  the material seems to have good "memory", with weapons and such springing back to shape with light bending or twisting, and doesn't seem likely to break or deform.

As mentioned, the detail looks surprisingly good for such a rubbery medium - to me, the BonesUSA figures look just as good as any newer models in traditional Bonesium or Bones Black, and would be hard for me to pick out of a look-don't-touch lineup:  I'd have to touch and handle the plastic to tell which one is which. 

I really liked the various characters that came with the swag boxes - these are on a par with the Bones V figures in quality of design, sculpting and character, and the BonesUSA medium really carries that detail over.  (I mixed the BonesUSA swag-box figures in with the Bones V figures for sorting, since they all arrived at roughly the same time, and couldn't tell them apart at a glance, and forget which is which without looking closely and handling the plastic.)  I really liked the little animated rag-doll critters, the pig sidekick, and the build-a-pirate kit:  BonesUSA is a big step up from some of the early versions of the traditional Bonesium figures from the first couple Kickstarters, when comparing the animal companion/familiar figures to the new stuff, in part reflecting Reaper adjusting to the sculpting for this material, improvements in digital sculpting, etc., but it seems to me that BonesUSA is particularly well-suited to making small, detailed parts like the pirate arm and head sprues and such, and for making small creatures like familiars, goblins, and the like. 

The build-a-pirate set is fun idea, and looks like a great way to field batches of similar "mook" characters that are differentiated with arm and head swaps - orcs, skeletons, goblins, and so on.  This sort of thing is comparable to the hard plastic 28mm wargame army kits made by other companies, and at a glance the parts look like they're completely compatible with these kits.  This looks like the first time Reaper has tried this idea in their Bones line - not sure if that's because BonesUSA works especially well for this, or if it's just an experiment that Reaper is trying and BonesUSA is a good place to start, but I'm hoping Reaper is able to do more of this sort of thing, and that the experiment is successful. 

I'm  kind of curious how well BonesUSA will work with larger models:  the springy, rubbery quality might not work so well for the models at a larger scale, where the model's weight might work against these qualities, but then again, it might surprise me, and maybe larger figures like dragons and such might work well with this plastic.  Similarly, I can't help noticing that Reaper hasn't done much scatter terrain or scenic items in BonesUSA yet - the "Drunken Mermaid" sign is the only such item I can think of, and it's a bit closer to a character model than it is to, say, a table or something; I don't know if it's just that Reaper hasn't had an opportunity to do more scenic items yet, or if BonesUSA isn't suitable for scenery, but it'll be interesting to see how well BonesUSA works as the medium for making furniture and such.

Anyway, the mold lines/flashing, and slightly higher price, are the only real downside I can detect so far with BonesUSA figures, and those are only minor gripes.  The resilience and durability of this material look fantastic, and it looks like BonesUSA will be a pleasure to work with for those of us who like to customize minis, and the detail is crisp and easy to see, standing up well to the Bones Black and other recent Bones figures, and even to metal figures.   I have a feeling BonesUSA won't be suitable for fulfilling large Kickstarters, but will, I expect, work really well for small batches, fitting in really well with Reaper's product lines over the long term as one of a number of solutions available for different purposes for Reaper.  It's a win over all for me, and  I can't wait to see what else Reaper does with this stuff!

I don't expect any surprises from painting BonesUSA figures, but if I notice anything when I do paint them, I'll post a follow-up review focusing on the painting.

• Like 4