Bones USA Feedback Thread.

I consider myself still relatively new to the hobby scene, I really got into it only a few years ago. I've purchased minis across multiple brands and material make ups, and I haven't had much time to develop die hard preferences on which material makes the best mini... until  now. Bones USA has come out of the gate strong and each time I paint Bones USA I am impressed. Integral bases don't bother me too much but I see the appeal to having the base separated. Every material has its quirks for clean up and conversions but I have found the Bones USA to be substantially nicer to paint than any other material. So far I have not primed any of my Bones USA minis because for me, a thorough scrub with dishsoapy water and an old toothbrush is all I need to do to get the paint to bite. Maybe others feel differently but honestly this material is my favorite. I'd like to see how big they can go with Bones USA... A Ma'al Drakkar in Bones USA would be rad.

• Like 4
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, The Steve said:

I cut off all integral bases. It isn't a big inconvience. don't sweat it, get a cutting wheel for your dremel and FLEX on those bases!

I generally use a jeweler's saw and snips to cut off integral bases when I choose to do so.  With a dremel, I'd be afraid of heating up the minature (metal) or gumming up the blade (plastic).  I've not tried to be honest though.  Have you encountered those problems?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For bones I find the rotary tool overkill, the plastic is plenty easy to cut with snips.  for hard plastic, resin, and metal though, it's great.  wrap the mini in some kind of padding and hold it securely, then make your cuts.  Don't press down hard, let the tool do the work.  For metal and resin you can usually just go to town, though if it's a big thick cut you may have to let the tool cool down periodically.  best bet is don't try to cut all the way through thick cuts in one go, cut for a few seconds, then lift off and let everything cool for a few before cutting a little more.  That's better for the life of your cutter too.  For plastic gumming up the blade you'll have to take smaller cuts.  

Also, use breathing protection and dust extraction while doing this. you absolutely -do-not-want- to breath this dust in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 9/14/2021 at 3:21 PM, mikem91 said:

I generally use a jeweler's saw and snips to cut off integral bases when I choose to do so.  With a dremel, I'd be afraid of heating up the minature (metal) or gumming up the blade (plastic).  I've not tried to be honest though.  Have you encountered those problems?

None of those issues. I use a blade like this. : https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-EZ406-02-Cut-Off-Mandrel-Cutting/dp/B000FBLRVA/ref=asc_df_B000FBLRVA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309735728871&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1170267009229527178&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9025207&hvtargid=pla-437291223327&psc=1

once the blade is filled with metal filings(it takes a while) I just go to the next one. sometimes I snip the areas around the flat of my feet and just dremel that. makes a big mess I just vacuum the area after I am done.

it takes a lot to heat metal to that point man. I get so hot doing pinholes sometimes that I use work gloves so I don't burn me fingas!

• Like 3