Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Started this guy back in 2010 and, after eleven years of on and off work (mostly off), I'm going to say he's finished. There are things I could do better now than when I started him, and certainly areas I could try to tweak more, but I'd rather save the energy/time for another figure. 54mm Games Workshop "Brother Artemis" Space Marine from the old "Inquisitor" game. Made a few minor tweaks (repositioned the sword) and left off a few bits 'cause I didn't like how they looked. Base was sanded down and then rebuilt with plastic card to look industrial. Nowadays I can just buy 40mm bases that are done this way. It was actually the first part thing that got painted which meant I had to be careful when I was painting the figure! Painted primarily with Reaper paints.
Assembled my crew and prepped and primed them.
Two clopsen troopers, a lizardman recruit, sniper and another recruit/ chisler.
A gnoll commando, medic and recruit, and a cultist recruit/hacker and trooper.
Edit: It is a bit funny that My crew isn't using much of the actual Stargrave miniatures other than a few arms and guns, but then this is just the first crew, and I'll need some ruffians and pirates as well.
By Colonel Kane
Mods if this is not acceptable please feel free to delete.
I started a new project. last week. I bought the mini at a game store that I go to to paint with Ludo. I had another friend give me more minis... so I am turning this what was going to be just the one, into an army. I am still working on this one, but I thought you all might like to see it.
Anyways here is the Commander:
December has only just begun but this year's ornament is already finished. Unlike previous years I decided to wait until the piece was finished rather than run a WIP thread. With the little one being a lot more involved this year it certainly made things easier. Our daily progress was also lower too as you can only keep a two and a half year olds attention for so long.
Starting out I knew I wanted the little one to be more involved this year. Plus she's certainly been showing more and more interest in what I've been doing at my desk lately. With a bit of thinking and planning (something we all know I usually avoid) I came up with a concept that would give her a lot of "big" areas to paint unlike my other ornaments which were just little figures that require "precision".
That's right I really did plan this build. As you can see I'm no artist but it does show off the concept. My plan was simple enough, I'd build a small rooftop complete with a "Santa" that would fit inside an ornamental bulb.
Using plasticard I made a roof and chimney that fit snugly inside the bottom/lid of the ornament. I added the appearance and texture of bricks to the chimney using thin squares of cardboard. For the figure itself I simply used a GW necron I had leftover from an earlier project and with some greenstuff I sculpted a hat and toy sack. Lastly I covered the lid with masking tape and primed it.
Once it was primed and ready for paint I could finally get the kid involved. With a bit of brush assistance from myself we quickly found our rhythm and started painting together. Unfortunately there are not a lot of progress shots. Most days I just completely forgot to take one and on others the little one was just so excited to keep going. I did get one after we finished the chimney's basecoat however.
After that we painted the roof, the toy bag, the red portion of the hat, and the silver metallic. The white of the hat I did myself at one point while she napped.
So far she had really been enjoying the project and seemed to like painting together but I was not prepared for how much she loved applying the wash. I'm not sure what it was but she really liked splashing the dark wash over everything. I guess dirtying up a model is just satisfying.
After that we applied a little drybrush to the bricks. Everything was nearly finished but the fine details remained, so alone I quickly painted the eyes, chest, and the Christmas lights. After applying a bit of snow flock our ornament was complete.
In retrospect the "lights" were a little too close together on the back, but as it only truly obscured my name it wasn't worth redoing.
We put the bulb back together and hung it on the tree. I think it doesn't look too bad. It's certainly an improvement over the previous years, almost as if my skills have improved.
Happy holidays everyone.
Who's Online 12 Members, 1 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)