Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
This is the "Soul Stealer" bust from Artisan Guild's welcome pack on patreon. I printed it on my Elegoo Mars Pro resin printer.
This might be the first bust I have ever painted, not counting an Orc bust from the very early days of Forge World that I started but never finished and sold off at some point in the distant past (oh, the Folly of Youth).
So why this newfound fascination for busts? I hear you ask.
Well, it's the RCL again. "Bust" is a quarterly category, and since Reaper only make a very few busts, none of which are readily available at the moment (there will be a few released after Bones 5 fulfills later this year), the fine folks at Reaper have decreed that bust entries are not limited to Reaper product.
Did I mention that the RCL has been a fun way to choose what to paint? It really helps to keep things fresh and to motivate to finish the pieces I start. And now also to paint other stuff than I usually would.
I do not buy busts as they are generally outside my scope of interest. However, I do own one or two busts as .stl-files that have been parts of patreon bundles.
And with such an extensive library of files at hand, once I decide to do one, it does not take long to make supports and print one off.
But what to choose? Tentacle-face or a human face?
Do you want to know more?
2nd mini painted this weekend for Paint Club. I admit this one posed some interesting challenges that I'm not super thrilled about. Most of that is related to the lack of details to really draw out, but it also highlights my lack of ability to know how to help highlight that muddled scuplt.
* Majority of Blink being armor made the choice for colors fairly easy. I once again used the combo of the Gunmetal and Aluminum as the pairing. I like it!
* The purple and red seem to be an okay choice for the only real two tones in this model, but I'd like a bit more color. Still a win.
* I really went back around 4 times to fix the skin. I found that there were some mold lines I didn't quite scrape off that frustrated me, but even so the colors seem okay. Reaper send me a SAMPLE color that's like THE COLOR of flesh that works in a pinkish hue that I love. LOVE.
* The checkering I added to the helm seems to be a fun detail and helps bring out some of the helmet forward.
* I used black ink to do black-lining which helped show separation between all of the plates. Win!
* Eyes came out great. I wanted to go back and add that little sparkle in the corner of the eye, but I think we all know that one-step-too-far we all can take when it's good enough and then it gets screwed up. Holding back was the way to go.
* Trying a lot harder to work the hair with highlights. Did a brown base, lined with brown liner between the strands, then highlighted with brown sand. Works? I think so.
* The dark lining I end up with around the eyes needs to be drawn back further. I can't seem to get around that. It was really present around my Lysette work and shows up strong in this one, too. Wah wah.
* I tried using brown liner to bring out the detail in the plates. Wasn't strong enough and too runny in its medium, so I had to swap to black ink.
* Not sure I'm a fan of the shield mix of tones with Gunmetal and Aluminium. I think I need input there from y'all.
* The horsehair helmet with purple and red...may have been a bit much. Color recommendations?
* I liked using a pinkish color for that vial hanging on her belt, but is it too bright?
Overall, this little model was not the easiest due to the carve of the model. I do think that this was a great test to see how I could add to it, but still so much to learn on improving things like this with more free hand.
(unknown code) Bones USA Mangu Timur
or Darth Sauron as I like to call him. Or maybe MandaSaurion is better?
Sculpted by Bobby Jackson
This version currently only available as part of the recent Bones USA Learn to Paint Kit.
After the Northern Penguin aka Great Auk were hunted to extinction in 1844, the convergently evolved Penguins of the southern hemisphere continue to eke out their existence in the Antarctic.
Of course, the reality of the north and south poles being totally separate worlds has never stopped people from making stories and images with, say, polar bears and penguins in them. Or walruses. (Or Pandas).
Such as here at the North Pole where Santa lives, we also find Ice Golems using Giant Penguins as guardians on leashes.
Sic 'im, Mumble!
This is another mini from the Ral Partha Europe kickstarter "Wicked Wonderland" featuring the Evil Santa I painted around Christmas, and some other polar creatures.
They are cast in metal, I made a 60x35mm base for them.
Sadly, the christmas minis seem to have gone from the RPE webside. Maybe they are only availabe for Christmas?
That still only counts as one, since they are connected and on the same base.
Hey! I could've sworn you were tap-dancing just now!
The three large penguins are from the Reaper Bones 4 kickstarter's Fan Favorites expansion, and released to retail together with the Dire Penguin as the "44104 Penguin Attack Pack".
The smaller penguin comes from Reaper "02848 Familiar Pack V" and is made in metal. I painted it as a chick on account of the perfect size.
And the Dire Penguin:
Because, of course there has to be Dire versions of Penguins too. It craves your fish!
This one did not want to be photographed against this background, and turned overexposed and invisible. We'll call it well camouflaged. I had to faff about with global settings in photoshop to make these pictures even viewble. The rest of the photos were unusable.
I painted it for the Reaper challenge league's January three colour challenge: choose and use any specific blue, green, pink. together with white and black from Reaper's paint line. Mixing allowed, but only with those specific colours. You can see which ones I used in the picture.
I chose to paint it as a kind of wierd Albino Penguin, and only mixed in a small amount of the green for shading.
I did not have any other reaper black left, and had to use Nightmare Black which is a very dark blue black.
I mean, Dire Penguin? That is some serious Cosmic Horror right there. Where is a Shoggoth when you need one to come and clean up?
Featuring minis from:
Ice Golem & Giant Penguin
Ral Partha Europe
"Wicked Wonderland" kickstarter
44401 Penguin Attack Pack
Sculpted by Jason Wiebe
Penguin from the 02848 Familiar Pack V
Sculpted by Sandra Garrity or Michael Brand
The reaper minis are all available from reapermini.com
These minis were finished on Jan 23rd, 2021.
Who's Online 10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)