• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, MoonglowMinis said:

Wonderfully vivid!  Your effort to bring out the contrast really shows.

This is an interesting point. How often when sculpting do you worry about misinterpreted details?

All the time, especially when you are trying something that is unorthodox.  Often we sculptors or the concept artists have a vision that we want to put into the model that doesn't really read right until it is painted, because color is a key component of it.  This is one of those cases.  Conversely, painters have often interpreted a part in a way I hadn't even considered, and that in an of itself is fantastic. @Kuroneko's version of the Portal is very different and WAY better than I had envisioned.  In this case, @Peithetairos painted this one almost exactly as I envisioned it, which makes me really happy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Excellent work @Peithetairos, I especially love the way that you worked the warm/cool contrast. I really like the texturing that you did too!

One of the things I love about this forum is seeing how radically different we all painting minis. Despite his fantastical nature, that Toad looks ALIVE and ready to terrorize any swamp that he decides to settle in. You really did justice to @TaleSpinners awesome sculpt.

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

All the time, especially when you are trying something that is unorthodox.  Often we sculptors or the concept artists have a vision that we want to put into the model that doesn't really read right until it is painted, because color is a key component of it.  This is one of those cases.  Conversely, painters have often interpreted a part in a way I hadn't even considered, and that in an of itself is fantastic. @Kuroneko's version of the Portal is very different and WAY better than I had envisioned.  In this case, @Peithetairos painted this one almost exactly as I envisioned it, which makes me really happy.

I've actually got this fellow and his two compatriots sitting on my desk at the moment. The current plan is to do them as poison arrow frogs, but that's mostly to do with my love of high, colourful contrast :poke:

• Like 2

@Glitterwolf Thank you. That is a great reference. I am a bit on the fence in terms of adding too much equipment to my frog sculpts, so this will serve me well for inspiration.

On 12/23/2020 at 1:25 PM, TaleSpinner said:

Beautiful.  I especially love the way you handled the scars (I was always worried that people wouldn't know what they were).  Thanks for putting so much life into it!

You are most welcome. I have to admit the sculpt looked a tad odd in the bare plastic, but painting it was really fun and I appreciated all the neat details like the turtle shell flask and little shrunk head. Only when painting it I realised the scars for what they are, I first thought they are energy sparks from the projectile. Now this chap is one of my favorite paint jobs and minis.

On 12/23/2020 at 8:13 PM, Iridil said:

Wow - beautiful use of color - inspiring - I like that the fireball is pink....

Much appreciated. I thought the magenta would work well with the skin tones.

On 12/24/2020 at 3:05 AM, Kuroneko said:

Excellent work @Peithetairos, I especially love the way that you worked the warm/cool contrast. I really like the texturing that you did too!

One of the things I love about this forum is seeing how radically different we all painting minis. Despite his fantastical nature, that Toad looks ALIVE and ready to terrorize any swamp that he decides to settle in. You really did justice to @TaleSpinners awesome sculpt.

I've actually got this fellow and his two compatriots sitting on my desk at the moment. The current plan is to do them as poison arrow frogs, but that's mostly to do with my love of high, colourful contrast :poke:

Thank you very much. I am glad I achieved what I set out to do. Kimera colours definitely helped with the contrast, as they are so vibrant. 

On 12/24/2020 at 11:35 PM, Metalchaos said:

Beautiful life-like skin and the fireball is outstanding.

Thanks! I am quite please how the projectile came out. If it wasn't for the contest I would have attempted OSL, but was too afraid to ruin the paintjob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1