CAVCP/CAVFM on a Mac

I'm currently working on getting CAVCP/CAVFM running on MacOS Catalina and will be documenting how things are going here.

Background:

I have, in the past, managed to get the apps working by using Winebottler, which creates a WineWrapper that works well enough though there is a number of hoops to jump through and requires a new wrapper for every new version of CAVCP/FM. The hoops are also, for me at least, a bit cryptic. Of course Winebottler is free. The big issue for me right now though is that I am running Catalina and Winebottler, from what I understand, doesn't do 32-bit on 64-bit machines. This has led me to Crossover, which is based upon Wine but the company that produces Crossover has put a lot of work into their code to take advantage of Wine's code and their latest release can run a long list of windows applications on Catalina. The bad news is that CAVCP and CAVFM are not on their list. The good news is that these apps do run in Crossover on Catalina . . . mostly. In a subsequent post I'll provide more info on what problems I have run into. I'd like to pass all of this same info over to the Crossover team. Not sure how much support I'll get as a Free-Trial user, but as the programs work well enough for me to export Force Groups and Squads, I may end up buying the cheapest license and see how much support that might provide.

Edited by Maredudd
  • Like 3
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Played with FM last night. Things seemed to work fine. I did get a pop-up with an error but had the option to quit or suppress the error and continue. I took the latter option and proceeded to build a Force Group. I set the TVP for the group to 18000, just so I could keep building. Ended up with 15000+ before I decided things were working well.

I also tinkered with CP a bit and made up a "Rakshasa" for the Ritterlich. Things work ed well, even to saving the file and exporting as a PDF. I didn't try to load it as part of my FM exercise, but I'll give that a shot later today.

The error popup has occurred after several different actions but I wasn't in the ready to document the specific actions and I didn't explicitly confirmed was the same issue. I'll take that in a future session.

Ok, I spent some time looking closer at the CAVCP and CAVFM and have identified that I am getting a "DoSendMenuOpenCloseEvent" error in both CP and FM and it occurs any time I access a drop-down menu. For FM this includes the "File", "Options", and "Help" menus. In CP it happens for both the "File" and "Help" menu. The error dialog gives you three options: "Yes", to close the program, "No", to continue without closing the program, and "Cancel", to proceed with the program but to suppress this error in the future. I have encountered a few instances that the program crashed, but I'm not sure what I did differently there and I haven't been able to reliably recreate that issue.

I also captured a clip of the error dialog. 

I'll still be trying to poke holes in the CAV app running on Crossover, but at this point it seems to be stable with a quirk, with no data/effort lost due to the quirk.

Edited by Maredudd
  • Like 1