Sign in to follow this  
lstormhammer

Next ReaperCon friendly banter

Ok just foolin around with the online price saving site for airfair & such, seems like it'll be about 300 or so (that's if I want to go to Minneapolis thou :rock: during the flight then to TX). Anyways, just workin on the details, cause I wanna go next year, heck gonna try for a home loan (stuff around the house needs it badly), so I figured I get some extra $$ & then put it away.

Also I must have fell asleep somewhere along the line but I know Reaper moved so it's not in Lewisville anymore or is it?? :blink:

later

Randy M

Well, Haldir, if you get here early enough we could just drive down to Texas...

I know Kel, Baasen and Skya did the roadtrip this year... :lol:

It's only 960 miles from the Twin Cities to Denton... ::D:::o:

It's only 960 miles from the Twin Cities to Denton... ::D:::o:

And all on one road, too! I find that so fascinating. *grin* A friend of mine grew up in MN and lives in San Antonio now. Catches 35W in Bloomington (MN), and gets off 35 a block from her house in SA. What a kick! I wonder how far it goes. Can you drive to Mexico on I-35?

Jess

It's only 960 miles from the Twin Cities to Denton...  ::D:  ::o:

And all on one road, too! I find that so fascinating. *grin* A friend of mine grew up in MN and lives in San Antonio now. Catches 35W in Bloomington (MN), and gets off 35 a block from her house in SA. What a kick! I wonder how far it goes. Can you drive to Mexico on I-35?

Jess

Heh, I have done that on several occasions to go visit my brother in Santa Monica, CA. I just hop on I-10 here in Houston, TX and 22 hours later i get off right where it ends @ Santa Monica.

As to I-35, yes, it goes all the way to Laredo and the Mexican border...

BTW, don't know if many people know this but there is actually a "scientific" method to the numbers in interstate highways. Odd numbers mean they run North - South and even numbers mean they run East - West...

BTW, don't know if many people know this but there is actually a "scientific" method to the numbers in interstate highways. Odd numbers mean they run North - South and even numbers mean they run East - West...

Not only that, but in general, the numbers increase as you go east and north.

A similar system is in place for the US highways, except they increase as you go west and south, IIRC.

I just wish New England adopted the exit numbering system like most of the states I have been in out west.

We just number from 1 to 25. If we decide to add another exit in the future, we have 10 a, b, c, etc, etc. New York has to be the worst though... 9 a - z it seems like around the albany area.

I really like the systems where the exit number is the mile marker. Maine is starting to adopt this now, but only after they added about 5 exits in the past 15 years.

(from the maps I've looked at Dtn looks to be a suburb of D/FW, or at least that's what I think).

Denton is not exactly a suburb of Dallas - The Dallaw & Fort Worth metroplex area covers 4 Counties (Texas counties, BTW are about the sixe of Rhode Island - Is Rhode Island even big enough to BE a state?). Anyway, Dallas and Fort Worth are the respective centers of their 2 counties, and McKinneya nd Denton are the ceners of their 2.

TV stations out here even say Dallas/Fort Worth/Denton/McKinney sometimes (I know KERA channel 13 does). But yeah - Suburb is close enough. We are about 50 miles form Dallas proper, but up North there is just no valid term for the urban sprawl that is north Texas. We have more real estate here than we do people to put init - so we have spread out over an area larger than some European nations.

I, for one, was almost overwhelmed at the "wide open spaces" aspect of Texas, followed by the "city the size of a state" effect. I had read about German soldoers in WW2 suffering from agoraphobia(sp) at the sense of vast emptiness. I never understood it til seeing east Texas. I'd never seen a "true horizon" on land before...too many trees and buildings in the east.....

Is it true that the Republic of Texas securred a guarentee that it could subdivide into several(I believe five) states when it joined the United States?

BACK ON TOPIC:Any idea when the next one takes place.....It's never too early to secure a vacation slot......

Steven, if you want wide open spaces, you should go to Eastern Colorado. Even where I live, I can see a couple of mountains from my house that are just over 100 miles away.

But yeah, when's the next one? 2005? Fall 2004? ::D:

I'm with you, Steve.

I live in California, I'm no farther than a couple of miles from a mountain. When I went to visit Texas (and the fine people at ReaperCo), I was amazed at how *flat* everything was!

Well, not exactly. But when Anne says 'It's just over that ridge' and I say 'what ridge? I see a bump in the road', you get the idea.

--LSH, misses Sonic Restaurants.... mmmm, vanilla lime-aid....

I, for one, was almost overwhelmed at the "wide open spaces" aspect of Texas, followed by the "city the size of a state" effect. I had read about German soldoers in WW2 suffering from agoraphobia(sp) at the sense of vast emptiness. I never understood it til seeing east Texas. I'd never seen a "true horizon" on land before...too many trees and buildings in the east.....

Is it true that the Republic of Texas securred a guarentee that it could subdivide into several(I believe five) states when it joined the United States?

BACK ON TOPIC:Any idea when the next one takes place.....It's never too early to secure a vacation slot......

Yes - although I think that clause may no longer be valid. But Texans would probably revolt if anybody tried to break the state up anyway.

Yeah, best not mess with Texas.

Oh, wait, they say 'Don't mess with Texas'.

(best not make that mistake, you might be beaten with a capicious chapeau.)

--LSH

Technically speaking - Alaska is a part of Russia. (I know - you people hear lots of talk about it becoming a state back in the fifties - But I don't beleive a word of it!)

Having taken the "scenic route" (drive) to Texas from MI, I can say that I was suprised ny ALOT of the scenery I saw, I thought OK was most striking. All that red clay, rolling hills, and big sky.

Though Texas' wide open spaces didn't really take me by suprise. Once upon a time, I lived in that desolate wastland of a desert called southern Arizona. Whole lotta nothin' as far as the eye could see.

With that said, I'm really looking forward to the next ReaperCon. Just being there's exciting, ne'er mind everything you learn whilst you're down there. I'm also very much looking forward to raiding that BBQ joint most of us ended up at on day one. Mmmmmmm BBQ & beers....

With that said, I'm really looking forward to the next ReaperCon. Just being there's exciting, ne'er mind everything you learn whilst you're down there. I'm also very much looking forward to raiding that BBQ joint most of us ended up at on day one. Mmmmmmm BBQ & beers....

They probably have a poster at that joint that shows all of us with

"DO NOT SERVE BEER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES"

LOL!