Sooo... growing up my parents were both avid amateur photographers. They had nice fully manual SLR cameras with multiple lenses and the works.  For my 17th birthday they bought me a canon EOS XSi which I shot at least a hundred rolls of film with over the course of about 4 years.  then I got on with a job and even just buying film got to be a hassle (much less getting it developed by someone who knew more about the process than 'plug the roll in here and hit this button' and it kind of fell off.  In the mid teens I was given a powershot and got back into trying to get good pictures and not quick cellphone snaps.  
I just took the plunge and bought a DSLR, I got a Canon 250d (Rebel SL3).  And I'm excited to get out and take pictures of random stuff again.  Planning on some nature/landscape/macro photography and maybe trying out some astrophotography (portraits if someone I like REALLY wants me to try but doing them was never a love for me.)
Of course, collecting camera gear looks like it could be as bad if not worse of a hobby to collecting unpainted miniatures, so, moving to a discussion topic, if anyone here's uses a dslr/mirrorless for anything other than miniatures macro photography (There's a lot of tips around for this already on these boards) what are your favorite extras? Lenses, bags, filters, kit bags, etc.

• Like 3
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't needed to use any of my DSLR cameras in years (Olympus E-500, E-3, Four-Thirds format). And I own quite a few high end lenses too (12-60mm, 14-45mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm, 50mm macro, 2.0 teleconverter, extension tubes).

The one thing I quickly appreciated for walking photography was having a battery grip. More battery life and the extra buttons to take portrait oriented pictures without being awkward to hold.

Also, flash, tripod, monopod, harness, several bags, spare batteries, color balance cards, etc.

Rabbit hole, what rabbit hole?

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Thanks 1

I'll second what Cranky Dog has said about battery capacity, but I lean more towards just having a second, first party camera battery. Battery grips are definitely handy (doubly so if they have mirrored controls all in the same place), but that's constant extra weight to deal with.  I lean heavily towards having a lighter kit, and rarely go through a full battery in one day... 

As for lenses, while I have a reasonably long list on my wishlist of what I want, I'm also of the option of "stick with the kit lens for a while, and learn what you like, and where you want more" before spending any extra on lenses.  Sure, one could go out and buy the two "main" Canon lenses (what are they, the 24-70, and the 70-200?  Can't recall off top of my head)... 

For accessories, since you mention landscape and nature photography, I would recommend a circular polarizer as well as later on acquiring a variable ND filter. Both are handy for such - the polarizer will let you eliminate reflections in water, can make foliage greener, and skies bluer, but requires a bit of practice to make good use of, and the ND filter will allow you to do longer exposures if you so wish (main example coming to mind is wispy/ethereal looking rivers and waterfalls). 

For astrophotography, are you contemplating widefield / milky way shots, or more towards deep sky objects such as nebula, star clusters, and galaxies? 

As for camera bags, I'd love one from MindShiftGear (now merged back into its parent company, Think Tank) but I suspect such will be a while longer before I get such, as the BackLight 26 is not a cheap bag. 

I personally use a Lumix G85, and only have two lenses (Lumix 12-60 f3.5-5.6, and Lumix 25mm f1.7), but have plans to eventually pick up the Lumix-Leica 25mm f1.4 II, Lumix-Leica 15mm f1.7, and the Lumix 42.5mm f1.7...  But I also chose micro four thirds for its smaller size, light weight, and video capabilities.  I also only had a set amount of money at the time - if I'd had more, I probably would have gotten that Fuji I had been eyeing up, because boy do I love their f2 lenses... And the 16mm f1.4....

• Like 1

One of my first upgrades is getting a better camera strap.  The ones that ship with the camera are never terribly comfortable.  I personally use a black rapid strap.  Peak design are also good.  

Straps are something that are best shopped for in person.   Nothing beats putting it on you camera and walking around the store. 

Edited by Hibou
  • Like 1
On 12/24/2020 at 2:23 PM, Cygnwulf said:

Of course, collecting camera gear looks like it could be as bad if not worse of a hobby to collecting unpainted miniatures

I don't know much about camera stuff as it isn't a hobby of mine, but one of my brothers has been doing amateur photography for over a decade, even to the point of doing photoshoots for some minor league teams near to where he lives. I don't know his gear, but I know he always tries to buy his lenses and other gear used. That may help you save some money, if you don't mind not having the latest tech available. I think he had a camera store near where he lived, so that probably helped enable it.

Wish I'd paid more attention when he talked about it, might have been of more help.

• Like 1
On 12/24/2020 at 4:44 PM, Cranky Dog said:

The one thing I quickly appreciated for walking photography was having a battery grip. More battery life and the extra buttons to take portrait oriented pictures without being awkward to hold.

Rabbit hole, what rabbit hole?

No doubt.  Mrs. Wulf remarked that I've barely come up for air this past week...

In any case, the battery grip thing is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure something I'd want to order without trying.  Wulfe's comments below about weight pretty  much echo my concern, since I hate having a battery case on my phone for the same reason.

On 12/24/2020 at 6:10 PM, WhiteWulfe said:

I'll second what Cranky Dog has said about battery capacity, but I lean more towards just having a second, first party camera battery. Battery grips are definitely handy (doubly so if they have mirrored controls all in the same place), but that's constant extra weight to deal with.  I lean heavily towards having a lighter kit, and rarely go through a full battery in one day... 

As for lenses, while I have a reasonably long list on my wishlist of what I want, I'm also of the option of "stick with the kit lens for a while, and learn what you like, and where you want more" before spending any extra on lenses.  Sure, one could go out and buy the two "main" Canon lenses (what are they, the 24-70, and the 70-200?  Can't recall off top of my head)... 

For accessories, since you mention landscape and nature photography, I would recommend a circular polarizer as well as later on acquiring a variable ND filter. Both are handy for such - the polarizer will let you eliminate reflections in water, can make foliage greener, and skies bluer, but requires a bit of practice to make good use of, and the ND filter will allow you to do longer exposures if you so wish (main example coming to mind is wispy/ethereal looking rivers and waterfalls). 

For astrophotography, are you contemplating widefield / milky way shots, or more towards deep sky objects such as nebula, star clusters, and galaxies? 

As for camera bags, I'd love one from MindShiftGear (now merged back into its parent company, Think Tank) but I suspect such will be a while longer before I get such, as the BackLight 26 is not a cheap bag. 

I personally use a Lumix G85, and only have two lenses (Lumix 12-60 f3.5-5.6, and Lumix 25mm f1.7), but have plans to eventually pick up the Lumix-Leica 25mm f1.4 II, Lumix-Leica 15mm f1.7, and the Lumix 42.5mm f1.7...  But I also chose micro four thirds for its smaller size, light weight, and video capabilities.  I also only had a set amount of money at the time - if I'd had more, I probably would have gotten that Fuji I had been eyeing up, because boy do I love their f2 lenses... And the 16mm f1.4....

Forgot about the CP, I loved that thing for outdoor shots on my old camera.  The one I have is a 52mm ring though and the kit lens on the new camera is a 58mm ring.  I went ahead and bought a step down convertor so I could use it, along with a very nice Hoya +1/+2/+4 macro stack and a couple of other filters, without having to use the old and probably worse off kit lens (I may still play with it, but it's a 30-80 EF lens versus the 18-50 EF-S that came with the new one.  With crop factor accounted for that means it will probably perform something like 50-120, but probably really slow light performance)

for AP - probably wide field stuff for now, don't want to hit too many rabbit holes at the same time.

For a bag - I went ahead and grabbed an inexpensive Tarion bag off the great river for now.

I've been browsing B&H's used section, I had missed Keh, I'm looking at them now.  lots of good deals.  I THINK I want to get a good short-to-medium fast prime (the good old nifty 50 is a great price used, not sure how I'll like the focal length though, I'll play with the current kit at max and see), and a 200-300mm-ish telephoto was always on my wishlist back in the day but never in the budget.

On 12/26/2020 at 10:40 AM, Hibou said:

One of my first upgrades is getting a better camera strap.  The ones that ship with the camera are never terribly comfortable.  I personally use a black rapid strap.  Peak design are also good.  

Straps are something that are best shopped for in person.   Nothing beats putting it on you camera and walking around the store. 

Hadn't even considered that.  Surely there are at least a couple of camera shops in the area, need to get looking again....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

I've been browsing B&H's used section, I had missed Keh, I'm looking at them now.  lots of good deals.  I THINK I want to get a good short-to-medium fast prime (the good old nifty 50 is a great price used, not sure how I'll like the focal length though, I'll play with the current kit at max and see), and a 200-300mm-ish telephoto was always on my wishlist back in the day but never in the budget.

On a Apsc crop framed sensor like the SL-3, a 50mm lens is going to give you a nice focal length for portraits.  The nifty 50 also gives you a super bright aperture. Which will allow for low light shooting or blurring out the background with depth of field. 

So even if you are not setting out to do portraits it’s still a solid choice.   

• Like 2

I do hobby in photography sometimes. Sigma lenses are significantly cheaper than Canon and very high quality. I also really like the Lowepro Slingshot for carrying camera equipment. One of my favorite accessories is the strap from Blackrapid.

• Like 1