2021 Non-Hobby Goals

Pegazus

Just thought I'd pop this in. Not New Year's Resolutions (per se), and not hobby related, but what are your goals for next year?

I've got a bad problem of following little quirky things that pop into my head. And this idea came to mind and I decided to follow through with it, thought I'd share here, and would see what goals others might have. Anyway, on to my goal!

My goal for 2021 is to watch the top three revenue grossing movies from my birth year to now. That comes out to a bit less than 150 movies, or one movie every other day. I've already sat down and made up the list from Wikipedia's pages. Some of them are good movies (The Exorcist, Return of the Jedi, Men in Black), and some of them I'm dreading (Transformers, 2017's Beauty and the Beast). The top three movies for 2020 are going to be possibly very hard to watch, mostly because the top two are both Chinese releases (The Eight Hundred and My People, My Homeland) and I may not find them easily.

I've also decided I'd like to start streaming more, both games and painting, but that's more hobby related, kinda.

So, what's on tap for 2021?

Edited by Pegazus
  • Like 13

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Just thought I'd pop this in. Not New Year's Resolutions (per se), and not hobby related, but what are your goals for next year?

So, what's on tap for 2021?

Find work.

Move to new city.

Bonus task: Find LOVE.

I don't want a repeat of 2020. It was bearable, but for all intent and purposes, my life has been on pause for a year.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 15

Non-hobby.......

• at least cut down on the caffeine.  It has gotten a bit excessive, and waiting until things get back to 'normal' is taking too long
  • lose some weight.  Again, waiting until...blah blah bah.....is taking too long
  • Finish* organizing the garage. Made good progress last year so think I can get it pretty much organized this year.    *no garage I own will ever be completely organized....
  • new brake rotors for the RX-8. They are due after it sat for 3 years.
  • restore the headlights on the RX-8.  Bought the kit last year, never got to it. 
  • build garden box things for my wife.  I think she has a design picked put.
  • Get the storage room more organized.  Note that this is partially hobby related as there "may" be a "few" miniatures stored in there.....
  • Finish organizing and sorting my novels.  I started this a while ago, and need to get back and finish.  A good winter weekend project.

That is more than enough.....

• Like 12

1. Find work of some sort, even if it just brings in a couple hundred a month.
  2. Exercise more. A lot of aquatic therapy got dropped this year due to everything, so the progress I had made from previous injuries and surgeries has gone downhill. I'll wager I lost about 15-20 lbs in the past 4 months, both fat and muscle. Plus now with Raynaud's I have to do all I can to keep that in check.
  3. Attempt to swear less. That one will be the most challenging as the words just slip out.
  4. Somehow scrap enough money together to get better internet speed. We're running on speeds that were good 10 years ago, and it's driving me crazy that everyone can't use it at the same time without seeing performance drop.
  5. Get Molly more long walks in. With the cold weather I haven't been able to get in her twice daily long walks, and she's starting to show some increased weight. Need to keep her at a healthy weight so she doesn't develop joint problems.
  • Like 11

Work goals.

My department is imploding because telework means nobody has to be civil to anyone else ever. I've sat in on three meetings and every one was a nightmare of passive aggression. My goal this year is to elfing FLEE.

First step, get involved in the new hire training. I've already expressed interest and applied for the teaching cadre. Having spent Fall Term teaching university I already know I've been shortlisted with 3 other people (2 now, one guy already dropped). Step two, take the position of New Hire lead once it's offered. The department manager has 3 of us in mind and 2 have already said no, all I have to do is say 'yes'. Step three, earn my time in grade as a lead.

Step four, flee the department entirely. The entire process will take a year.

• Like 13

I have a couple.

One: Home improvement.  I have so many little and big projects around the house that I have been putting off.  From installing some trim, repainting, updating the bathroom and replacing the deck.  I also need to get around to building the shed for a workshop.  Right now, I have no set place to do any large scale woodworking/projects and that has been the biggest obstacle.  Right now I have to dig all the tools out of the utility closet, set them up outside somewhere and then break it down.  New England weather further complicates things.

Two: Fitness.  Weight vs Height, I'm still within what the Navy Standard allowed be to be before I retired, but I am skinny-fat, with now where near a level of fitness I would like. Planned on doing more about this earlier this year, but I've got an arm injury that is hampering things.  And by hampering, I mean giving me an excuse to not do anything.

I'm sure there are a couple others,  but these are the two biggest.  And so I'm going to get off the computer that I've been sitting in front of for most of the day in a couple of minutes (after I catch up the rest of the posts here) and get started making some room downstairs for exercising and some projects.  It's what I've been planning on doing this entire long weekend anyways.  @Pegazus thanks for the motivation (kick in the elf) no matter how temporary it may end up being.

• Like 13

• Work on my mental health.
  • Keep unpacking the house or shove a lot of stuff in the garage, either would make me happy at this point.
  • Get outside...at all. I had been in the house from the end of October up until last week when I needed to go to urgent care. 
  • Try to maintain the yard or find and hire a yard person.
  • Start a garden???

I think that's enough for now. 

• Like 15

I'm going to put up a whiteboard in my apartment, and write all the started and planned improvements on it, then hopefully erase some of them before the ink of the whiteboardmarker turns permanent. You know, like the one in my garage/workshop...

Finish installing the roller blinds and automate them(HomeSeer system.) This includes hiding the elfed wires!

Swap my hobbyroom and bedroom... No need for a large bedroom(unfortunately), and there's barely standing room in my hobby room...  

Finish automating the garage port opener....

(If a delivery driver calls, I want to be able to open the garage remotely to let him put stuff there)  

Better shelving!  

And lots of them!  

Convert my car to a micro camper before summer?

Or just get it to run properly...

• Like 13

Glad to know I'm not the only one trying to lose weight. ::P: I finally had the last of my surgeries and I'm feeling a lot better about my body, so it's time to actually tackle that project, I think... (fml)

My more personal/serious goal that I'm pretty focused on trying to do for 2021 is improving my financial habits and tracking/budgeting. I've been working on a spreadsheet budget for the last little while to give me some solid information on what I'm spending on what and where it's coming from/going to. I've been in debt for a few years and I was finally able to pay things off in 2020 - so this'll be my first year as an "adult" that I enter the year with a) actual savings, b) income sources and c) no debt. (All three!) I am determined to do more than coast through the year just nervously laughing every time I open my online banking. >.>

• Like 12

I try to stick to just one "resolution" This year will be: "I finish the things I start."

I set Quarterly goals, so these are all due in by the end of March.

1. Get my Blackbelt in Karate (test is at the end of January), after that I'll review my Kobudo in preparation to start working on my 3rd degree.

2. Lose weight (10 pounds to go)

3. Fix my knee and ankle pain (I just need to keep doing my PT)

4. Learn to paint sheer fabric (Hobby!) 

5. Read "The Great Influenza" (learn more history)

• Like 9