Christmas projects - not a wiz

I tried using a new method in pushing as many purples as i could.  This worked really well for the color scheme. 

I had some trouble with getting the color of the scroll down.  Was really debating putting some writing on there, but decided to stop now while I felt like he was in a good spot.  I've been pushing my luck lately on a few of my projects and end up totally screwing them up.  I've been trying to find my point of no return and stopping before I cross it.  Seems like this guy was good where he's at.  

Things I learned:

1. Tried black lining on the back of the cape and recesses of the robe with black acrylic ink - WIN!

2.  Tried using a wash on the top of the hat and back of robe with Nuln Oil - Fail.  Had to go over and redo.  Finding I'm getting lack luster results with washes.  I've started adding flow aid to them for better results, but I just can't seem to wash like I see other people doing.  Weird?

3.  Kept to a single color palette over the whole scheme - purple.  Win.

4.  Didn't get too carried away with flesh tones.  Just did a barbarian AP skin tone and hit it with a thinned Agrax Earthshade - win.

I'm happy with the results thus far, but I may go back later to further improve him.  Not now though...  

20201227_173901.jpg

• Like 10

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By R2ED
      Based him and done. 

• By Doug Sundseth
      Another Bones figure. I'm not entirely sure where the color scheme came from. I just started and it kind of grew. 

This is a very annoying figure to paint. The hat brim is very wide and there's detail under it that is almost impossible to get to. The same is true of the beard. But the semi-random color scheme turned into something way outside what I usually paint, but in a good way.

Bones are great for experiments, because I don't feel like I have to obsess about every detail like I would for a competition piece. And I think my quality is going up as a result.
    • By Livesay
      I noticed this model bears striking resemblance to the wizard from my favorite childhood LEGO set.

The scroll was done by a friend using a .25mm micron pen.

• By Pochi
      I painted 2 minis for @Jasper_the_2nd for the spring exchange.

I had an idea for awhile to paint a little vignette based on a funny cartoon. When I was given Jasper as my exchange partner and read his survey, I knew he was the right recipient!

I painted Galladon (one of my favorite minis, don't ask me why) as a grumpy wizard who has set out to summon a demon. He carefully prepares the spell and casts his incantation....there is smoke and a "poof"! He is so excited to see what evil he has called forth. He peers into the smoke. He sees piercing eyes staring back at him. The smoke starts to clear, his excitement builds! What the..... He grabs the scroll to see what went wrong....

• By Pragma
      I am a big fan of the HeroQuest board game, which I played with my dad and brother in the 90s. Lots of happy memories. Well, now I am the dad and my kids have gotten into my old game of HeroQuest! There were only two problems. First, we were missing the dwarf figure. Second, the heroes are all male, which didn't seem very fair to my daughter. So I decided to solve both problems with help from my collection of unpainted bones.

First, the barbarian. My daughter requested a purple dress and blue hair. So how could I resist? She also asked for either a heart or flower pattern on the shield, so I decided to make a flower out of hearts.

My son chose the dwarf, and wanted him kept fairly close to the box art. So I kept him in reds and browns, with a white beard. He made the base out of sculpey with a little help from me. He wanted lots of bones and stuff on the base, so I gave him an old skeleton mini and let him cut it up and glue the bits onto the base.

The elf I had already painted, but my daughter thought she was "the most beautiful" so I just touched her up a bit and attached her to a new base. Unfortunately she went on just a little crooked.

The wizard was also already painted, and just got a touch up and a new base. My son requested a bit of scroll on the base, and I'm happy with the way it turned out.

All the bases were done in sculpey and painted to look like squares from the HeroQuest game board. I can't wait to play our first game with the new party! Comments and criticism appreciated :).
  • Who's Online   29 Members, 2 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)