Roderic Ambermead and Glitter, Demon Slayers

Someone is a lucky Secret Sophie participant! That's really nice. How did you make the dragon corpse/which dragon had parts sacrificed?

Only thing really missing is dragonblood pouring out of it... but this may be a PG-rated diorama (and what color is dragonblood, one wonders?).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you! Oddly, not a single dragon was harmed in the protest ^_^ The main body was from a 77262 Vulture Demon, whilst the wings were generously donated by a 77325 Bone Devil. I originally wanted a small, evil dragon in its place, but I couldn't find one that fitted the bill, so I'm happy that it reads as one!

The cliff was made up from 5 layers of an IKEA HEAT cork pot stand. It's a pretty good(and lightweight) modelling material and it's only £2 for three. I think I used two thirds of one in total.

I was originally going to go for loads of ichor, but I sadly ran out of time because I wanted to get it posted before Christmas. I especially wanted to get some dripping off the lance, but I'll just have to try it on something else.

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 6
3 hours ago, Humansquish said:

That's amazing. What's your recipe for the gold?

Thank you for all the likes and compliments everyone! 

IMG_20201229_162514990.thumb.jpg.656c33dd340913f819e2ae48d90991cf.jpg

@Humansquish, I used these paints, apologies for the bad photo. I'm currently struggling through doing a zombie dragon with the same colours. I got the recipie from this painting video by Anne Foerster, who is the genius that designed Reapers paint line.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dmgyHXIt0Po&t=1172s

She also does painting streams at 10.30am (California time) every weekday on Reapers Twitch channel.  She's an awesome painter and I truly think that she's helped me level up significantly in the last year.

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 4

Beautiful work! I really love the wings on Glitter.

the blue fabric accents also work really well. Nice job using more desaturated colors on the base and demon, so the eye is really pulled up to the triumphant duo!

• Thanks 1

Hooray for the goodguys!  They're small but feisty.  I like the scene you've created here, and your Secret Sophie recipient must be happy.

Good job on the NMM.  One thing that I like to add to my NMM is simulated reflections, especially on the lower parts turned away from the sky -- nearby clothing/materials that have different colors, rocks or grass on the base, mysterious off-camera glows, etc. -- sometimes just a subtle glaze, sometimes a tighter painted 'reflection'.  You might experiment with that on your zombie dragon, for example (though it looks pretty complicated already!).

And on dioramas, you get to be the Lighting Designer and draw our eyes with higher contrast or warmer colors, so you could (for example) paint higher highlights on the upper parts of the rock than on the lower, as a sort of spotlight to draw our eyes up. 

Thanks for sharing,

Derek

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely wonderful work!  That is one lucky Secret Sophie recipient! The display is fascinating to look at and really well done!  you definitely have better luck than me when it comes to NMM, I think  i have succeeded once out of all my tries.  This looks great!

• Thanks 1
On 12/29/2020 at 6:42 PM, Sanael said:

Beautiful work! I really love the wings on Glitter.

the blue fabric accents also work really well. Nice job using more desaturated colors on the base and demon, so the eye is really pulled up to the triumphant duo!

Thank you! I'd love to say that it was deliberate, but to be honest I think that it was more of a lucky accident! I really need to plan things out more and actually figure out all of these colour theory shenanigans :poke:

On 12/30/2020 at 2:58 AM, Iridil said:

Spending and inspiring! Great diorama, can't believe it's your first! Wonderful posing and composition - and the dragon in particular is outstanding painting

Thank you! I normally paint much larger dragons , but that little team just has so much personality that I had to try and do them justice.

On 12/30/2020 at 5:38 AM, dks said:

Hooray for the goodguys!  They're small but feisty.  I like the scene you've created here, and your Secret Sophie recipient must be happy.

Good job on the NMM.  One thing that I like to add to my NMM is simulated reflections, especially on the lower parts turned away from the sky -- nearby clothing/materials that have different colors, rocks or grass on the base, mysterious off-camera glows, etc. -- sometimes just a subtle glaze, sometimes a tighter painted 'reflection'.  You might experiment with that on your zombie dragon, for example (though it looks pretty complicated already!).

And on dioramas, you get to be the Lighting Designer and draw our eyes with higher contrast or warmer colors, so you could (for example) paint higher highlights on the upper parts of the rock than on the lower, as a sort of spotlight to draw our eyes up. 

Thanks for sharing,

Derek

Thank you for sculpting such a gorgeous mini @dks! It was such a joy to paint.

My plan is to paint another version of that lovely little dragon and his friend in about a years time to see if I've improved any. I still have to figure out what kind of horror that they've vanquished for that particular diorama, but I've got a wee while to mull it over.

The zombie dragon is intended for another diorama and is proving to be quite the labour of love. I'm intending to do some OSL effects, so NMM seemed the way to go. I always wondered why I didn't see many NMM dragons around, but now I know! There's soooo much work with all those scales ::o:

22 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Absolutely wonderful work!  That is one lucky Secret Sophie recipient! The display is fascinating to look at and really well done!  you definitely have better luck than me when it comes to NMM, I think  i have succeeded once out of all my tries.  This looks great!

Thank you! I've been trying for years, but it was the first time is actually gotten the NMM to a level where I was happy with it. It was a wrench to part ways with it to be sure, but he was always intended to fly over the Atlantic to his new home so I'm very glad his new owner is happy with him.

I can honestly say that Anne Foersters shows on Reapers Twitch channel has done wonders with helping me figure out NMM, she's such a good teacher.