Auberon Prints Mini Things

2 hours ago, Auberon said:

So my plan, short term, is to do nothing because the power has already cut in and out a couple of times already. For my next attempt though I plan to up the exposure to 1.75 seconds and see what happens.  In theory I will have some detail loss but I don't know how much.

Are you saying the printer sometimes doesn't get power?

Electricity down?

Because that WILL lead to failure, it will simply stop printing.

I guess I 'm misunderstanding...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And success!  Nothing fell off and after it was done, most of the prints popped off when the plate was flexed. I have now printed all of the Loot welcome pack heroes at default scale. I think at some

It has a very low angle.  Most of the  resin drains off of it but it could stand to be a few degrees steeper.   As promised I am returning with pics.  As a word of warning, my camera is old

a.k.a. Why does Glitterwolf get to have all the fun?   Yeah, my Sonic Mini 4K has finally arrived and I can get in on the 3D printing action.  It took about a month to ship and then a week i

Posted Images

We are having winter weather today.  It started out as sleet/freezing rain and then has been nothing but snow for most of the afternoon.  Thus I haven't bothered with electronic devices (PC, TV, printer, etc) because the power has cut out five or six times already. So to be clear, I did not even turn the printer on.

On a normal day I don't have power issues.

• Like 2

My printers all live in the same closet as my NAS and UPS for that reason...  

And it's rated at 1100VA. (approximately the same as 1100W.)

Enough to run a Resin printer, a FDM printer, my networking gear, the PC for my smart home system, and my NAS with capacity to spare. 

Enough that I can take my time to shut down different bits of kit to extend the available battery time for whatever printer is running. 

(Resin Printer is 50 - 75W for most home models. FDM is 200 - 300W, usually) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've looked at getting a UPS on and off over the years, but have never had the kind of issues that made me feel the need to spend money.  Today was notable simply because it is so rare.  Also, I don't have a closet to put them all in. ^_^

The test figures at 1.75 exposure are running now.  We'll see how it all turns out in the morning.

• Like 2

This set was a total success.  Any damage you see is from me being a bit too heavy handed removing the supports.

1736190191_Testprint1_75a.thumb.JPG.4e03ef4a78523e8528f98c9d33f11b84.JPG2113388598_Testprint1_75b.thumb.JPG.63d65ef99b9d7b59a32af9eac346749b.JPG

1528839448_Testprint1_75c.thumb.JPG.56b944570e9df2e1440cfe8ddc7e26be.JPG1269734022_Testprint1_75d.thumb.JPG.4dd3ace7316e008fc3f433632103e24e.JPG

1055024848_Testprint1_75e.thumb.JPG.04a68f73b2d140d138350f248af20acd.JPG1059862357_Testprint1_75f.thumb.JPG.858ca320e73f9c1776c4dcace7b14327.JPG

359828010_Testprint1_75g.thumb.JPG.83e34b4f7b6506c9b14048e600e0eb19.JPG469669947_Testprint1_75h.thumb.JPG.45eb605d0e61653da0d8f3f968ecc668.JPG

Now that I feel better about how it printed, I need to get my Secret Sophie base stuff going before my partner hunts me down.  Of course, what I want wasn't presupported so I'll need to take care of that today.

• Like 6

I've launched the Secret Sophie print.  Wish me luck.

Speaking of printing is it normal for printers to take longer than the Chitubox estimate?  Or does it depend more on the vendor?  I've noticed my print time agrees with Chitubox for the first layer and then immediately jump by about 20-30% as soon as the second layer is up.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Auberon said:

I've launched the Secret Sophie print.  Wish me luck.

Speaking of printing is it normal for printers to take longer than the Chitubox estimate?  Or does it depend more on the vendor?  I've noticed my print time agrees with Chitubox for the first layer and then immediately jump by about 20-30% as soon as the second layer is up.

Good luck!

Hmm, depending...did you choose the right printer in Chitubox?

Maybe it estimates on the wrong machine?

• Like 1
On 1/3/2021 at 11:36 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Good luck!

Hmm, depending...did you choose the right printer in Chitubox?

Maybe it estimates on the wrong machine?

No, it's the right printer.  When I timed a full cycle it takes slightly longer than you would expect based off of chitubox, so perhaps it is a mechanical pause of 1 second times 2000 layers.

In other news, phrozen is have a sale on their resin.  Unfortunately they use flat rate international shipping, so it takes three bottles to break even vs Amazon's more expensive base price + free shipping.  OTOH this makes every bottle past 3 a nice discount ($24 vs. $40), but how many bottles do I need right now?  Decisions decisions.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Auberon said:

No, it's the right printer.  When I timed a fully cycle it takes slightly longer than you would expect based off of chitubox, so perhaps it is a mechanical pause of 1 second times 2000 layers.

In other news, phrozen is have a sale on their resin.  Unfortunately they use flat rate international shipping, so it takes three bottles to break even vs Amazon's more expensive base price + free shipping.  OTOH this makes every bottle past 3 a nice discount ($24 vs. $40), but how many bottles do I need right now?  Decisions decisions.

Two questions to consider: Does the resin have a shelf life?  And how much will you use before it expires?  Well, three; how much can you afford? :devil:

• Haha 2
20 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Two questions to consider: Does the resin have a shelf life?  And how much will you use before it expires?  Well, three; how much can you afford? :devil:

• Yes.  I don't see where Phrozen specifies it, but many brands seem to have a generic 12 month shelf life. Plus more if stored properly.
  • Unknown.  I just got my printer, thus the dilemma.
  • I believe I qualify for the government hobby check, so cost isn't my primary concern.
  • Like 3

I have printed a thing!  It is a big thing (relatively speaking) as it about maxed out the z on my printer. The decorations had 3 or 4 minor failures that will be nearly impossible to spot.  Unfortunately it had one very major failure that I will have to repair.  Fortunately, said repair should be within my skill level. What is it you ask?  You will have to wait until I ship it to find out.

Secret.thumb.JPG.1c28ff201a201f54676519861ede1b1d.JPG

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Auberon said:

I have printed a thing!  It is a big thing (relatively speaking) as it about maxed out the z on my printer. The decorations had 3 or 4 minor failures that will be nearly impossible to spot.  Unfortunately it had one very major failure that I will have to repair.  Fortunately, said repair should be within my skill level. What is it you ask?  You will have to wait until I ship it to find out.

Secret.thumb.JPG.1c28ff201a201f54676519861ede1b1d.JPG

Huge sized base? 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, haldir said:

Huge sized base? 

10mm + a bit of overhang.

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Most resins have a shelf life of about a year.

I have no idea if this means it will stop working after that.

At some point the active ingredients will degrade.  The companies are being conservative with their estimates to cover their behinds.  The question is, by how much?

• Like 3