Auberon Prints Mini Things

I ordered the nFEP off of the river site last week.  It stated that the product would restock on Feb 10th, but I have enough going on that I wasn't worried about waiting a bit.  Guess what shows up today without a shipping notice.  :rolleyes:  So I took the time to teach myself how to change a FEP.  We'll load a print up later at my current settings and see how it goes.  Then see if I can't tweak them a bit for a little more speed, but mostly let's hope for no random lines!

In other news I heard something dragging on my way to work this morning.  Looks like my skid plate tore loose.  The printer can print while I'm at the shop.

• Like 4
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And success!  Nothing fell off and after it was done, most of the prints popped off when the plate was flexed. I have now printed all of the Loot welcome pack heroes at default scale. I think at some

It has a very low angle.  Most of the  resin drains off of it but it could stand to be a few degrees steeper.   As promised I am returning with pics.  As a word of warning, my camera is old

a.k.a. Why does Glitterwolf get to have all the fun?   Yeah, my Sonic Mini 4K has finally arrived and I can get in on the 3D printing action.  It took about a month to ship and then a week i

Posted Images

The first print with the new EPAX nFEP was bad enough that I went ahead and stopped it halfway through.  The good news is that all of my bottom layers stuck to the build plate.  The bad news is that I had supports failing right and left.  In a few spots the prints were even peeling off of the bottom layers.  Looking at the pieces individually, one of them was completely free of layer lines while the worst looked like it was tearing itself apart.  I can see the potential for better prints than I was getting, but it's not there yet.

We'll try again tomorrow and see how it goes.

• Like 3

I made a few tweaks and tried again.  This time worked out much better.  I have things!  Now to clean them up and maybe throw some paint at them.  I'll try to remember to take some pics later.  Like tomorrow later.

• Like 3

OK, here they are.  As reprints you've already seen them. The previous round with the old FEP had the few random lines on them.  These actually do as well but they are much more subtle and less noticeable. The lines will likely disappear underneath a thick basecoat.

Print_001.thumb.JPG.f562cd1d5c4d63496cb677b13dd67bb8.JPG

Now I just need to start a thread painting these things...

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Here we have one more display base.  I happened to walk by about 15 minutes before it finished and noticed that it sounded off.  Stopping to take a look I observed that the printer was no longer moving the full lift height between layers.  So even though it will let you go over 6100 layers, somewhere around that point it actually starts to run out of room. When the print finished and the build plate returned to the top position it quite literally took only a fraction of a second as there were only a few mm left.  Fortunately it appears my FEP was separating from the print so no harm done.

It does look like I might need to start playing around with the transition layers function for these big prints.  4 layers is plenty to adhere to the build plate but the skate is pulling itself apart over the next 26 layers.  Though come to think of it, the only issues I've had have been with pre-supports done in lychee.  None of my chitubox skates have done this. Maybe because they're solid? A problem to solve another time.

502826238_3DPrinting2.thumb.JPG.a532819a2990e33a6c40925bef2c869c.JPG

For the next print I'm going to try to speed up again.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, NecroMancer said:

Where do you get your scenic bases from?

In this case it came with the figure.  There are also a number for sale on MMF and such sites. From what I've seen there is a tendency to sell them in themed packs of various sizes.

• Like 2

When is a support failure not a support failure? When it all comes back together in the end.

742545683_3DPrinting3.thumb.JPG.e6242be2814d3c688c555a279ade1aa2.JPG

On a happy note, IPA was in stock so I don't need to switch to denatured alcohol.  It works just fine, but the odor gets me.

• Like 4
On 1/5/2021 at 2:31 AM, haldir said:
On 1/4/2021 at 7:01 PM, Auberon said:

I have printed a thing!  It is a big thing (relatively speaking) as it about maxed out the z on my printer. The decorations had 3 or 4 minor failures that will be nearly impossible to spot.  Unfortunately it had one very major failure that I will have to repair.  Fortunately, said repair should be within my skill level. What is it you ask?  You will have to wait until I ship it to find out.

Secret.thumb.JPG.1c28ff201a201f54676519861ede1b1d.JPG

Huge sized base? 

Ah, I never showed the other side because it was for the exchange. Now that it's been sent I can show it, so here it is. The Reaper blood imps were obvious not part of the print.

508034900_QueenofHell01.thumb.JPG.be43315ecec96e44a37bd8f7c6aa246c.JPG577076117_QueenofHell02.thumb.JPG.10172444635c4600ab16d5acfef20038.JPG

• Like 4

You ever have one of those minis you can't seem to win with?  For this figure when I first printed the sword I though it had a large number of layer lines.  Looking closer however I realized that the sword was offset every time it connected to a support.  This had been a loaded build plate so I thought maybe being on the edge had caused a problem so I centered it and printed again.  Nope, same problem.  You can see it on the left, below.  So then I did my own supports (right) and the sword printed straight.  Yay!

1353658799_Katsumi01.thumb.JPG.07d5fa9ea6684d9e3ecc4a7c59ed8d81.JPG

Except when I dropped it into by new dedicated hot water bowl it wedged itself and broke the tip off of the sword.  But no more reprinting!  The sword is hidden under the hand so I chopped the good tip off of the bad sword and will glue it together later.

840360867_Katsumi02.thumb.JPG.9fedbe5a3a5cfdb05fb3ca24cd1c82b4.JPG

Also if you look at her right leg there was some kind of issue where it was printing ok, offset in about 0.5mm for 3/4 of an inch, and then returned to normal.  I guess I'll try to fix it with a paper thin sheet of green stuff since that would be faster than another print.

She also has another issue which has absolutely nothing to do with the print and everything to do with the sculptor.  She is looking down!  Once she is together and painted the only was to display her will be on a high shelf or you will just be looking at the top of her head!  But not too high or else you won't be able to see anything on the tatami mat I printed in an earlier post! Grrr.

• Like 6

I did a short (for me) print today of only 3000 layers so I could start, finish, and clean it all in one day.  As far as I can tell it is a set of perfect prints; no random layer lines and I didn't break anything on cleanup.  This one only has two more plates so I'll start another one before I head into work tomorrow.  Normally I might complain about working on a Sunday, but with the size of the Covid bonus I got yesterday there will be no complaints about work for the rest of the month.

2142753653_Apocalyptic01.thumb.JPG.f0886af5850edda0358b4aba006780d5.JPG

• Like 4

Here is the next plate, which was not quite as perfect as the previous one. The pre-supports were a little heavy on the gun and strap.  It still needs the last bit of cleanup, but the figure is printed.  All that's left is the base.

1460556537_Apocalyptic02.thumb.JPG.56b15129660fffc684e56675348b8867.JPG

• Like 4