Auberon Prints Mini Things

One thing about doing your own supports is that you get to see all of the gory details.  Every now and then I come across some geometric artifacts like below.  Do any of our sculptors know what causes them? That darker mass is about 6 layers thick before it joins the rest of the figure.

screenShot_Monk.png.644e8ff08bc220387b8a00bdf960915c.png

And I noticed the monk has sculpted eyes! How horrible, I'll have to check the other figures as see if they have the same issue.

screenShot_Monk2.png.4104167903d9a4e1447eab82483ac122.png

• Like 2
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And success!  Nothing fell off and after it was done, most of the prints popped off when the plate was flexed. I have now printed all of the Loot welcome pack heroes at default scale. I think at some

a.k.a. Why does Glitterwolf get to have all the fun?   Yeah, my Sonic Mini 4K has finally arrived and I can get in on the 3D printing action.  It took about a month to ship and then a week i

It has a very low angle.  Most of the  resin drains off of it but it could stand to be a few degrees steeper.   As promised I am returning with pics.  As a word of warning, my camera is old

Posted Images

The support issues on the terrain piece is hardly noticable.

I think you can easily hide it by adding something small if it bothers you.

As for the Chitubox pic, that's an island, it needs support, when you build up the mini in Chitubox you'll notice which parts will flow into each other and will build without a support or maybe with a light one.

Something like this happens all the time and if you don't support it, the mini will fail.

I have no idea if this is a sculpting issue though.

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I have no idea if this is a sculpting issue though.

That's what I'm getting at though.  As you can see below, it is just a blob between her hand and the wrappings.  It shouldn't be there and if I had a 3D eraser I'd use it.  A little further up you can see a smaller one on the palm of her hand. It shouldn't be there either, but at least it doesn't create an island.

screenShot_Monk3.thumb.png.894423d1c7845bd60d2311d4b4145741.png

For printing, more of the monk set pieces.  Here we have a table and a gong.  The renders have the gong smacker sitting happily on its stand, but in the real world one end is heavier than the other so it doesn't balance.  The table is a "tall table", but even so it appears to be slightly out of scale with a 28mm figure.  The length and width are good for gaming (1" x just under 2") so perhaps a 90% reduction of the z axis would work.

Monk_2.thumb.JPG.8f69e8e9aae839f589b1f6620fd71205.JPG

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Auberon said:

And I noticed the monk has sculpted eyes! How horrible, I'll have to check the other figures as see if they have the same issue.

screenShot_Monk2.png.4104167903d9a4e1447eab82483ac122.png

You sound like Grump! :lol:

I LIKE sculpted eyes!

Or having Grump dot my eyes for me. ::P:  He's a lot better with the fiddly details, but I'm a lot better at blending. The combos are the real winners.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Auberon

OK, first GRRRRR on the sculpted eye abominations.  Just no.  Should be able to fix the eyes with a swipe of GS after printing.

Second, those are mesh errors. That one is a particularly bad error. I'm not sure who you got that from, but the sculptor did not run the sculpt though a mesh checker and fix the errors before releasing it, like they should have (IMHO; just plain sloppy work letting that get to a customer).  Load the mini into Meshmixer (free download from AutoCad) before supporting it and run a mesh analysis.  The auto fix should fix it.  If not it needs to be done in ZBrush.

Whomever sculpted it really should have fixed that before releasing it.  9 times out of 10 a mesh has errors straight out of ZBrush, so checking and fixing them SHOULD be an integral part of sculpting.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

@Auberon

OK, first GRRRRR on the sculpted eye abominations.  Just no.  Should be able to fix the eyes with a swipe of GS after printing.

Yes, EVIL!  Also, tiny once printed.  The monk was not the best choice as a scale test piece considering how she is standing, but she appears to be in the 32-35mm range with realistic (not heroic) proportions. 

Second, those are mesh errors. That one is a particularly bad error. I'm not sure who you got that from, but the sculptor did not run the sculpt though a mesh checker and fix the errors before releasing it, like they should have (IMHO; just plain sloppy work letting that get to a customer).  Load the mini into Meshmixer (free download from AutoCad) before supporting it and run a mesh analysis.  The auto fix should fix it.  If not it needs to be done in ZBrush.

I was assuming that was what it was given it looks similar to a mesh tear in a video game, but I wasn't certain.  I have Meshmixer, but tend to forget about it even with the icon on my desktop.  I didn't have any luck with the auto fix.

Whomever sculpted it really should have fixed that before releasing it.  9 times out of 10 a mesh has errors straight out of ZBrush, so checking and fixing them SHOULD be an integral part of sculpting.

It was STL Miniatures. I've backed their Patreon maybe twice, but this was my first attempt at printing them.  I've almost finished printing the monk set so I'll post pics tonight or tomorrow.

• Like 1

OK, as promised the rest of the monk set.  I still need to finish cleaning off the contact points, which is part of why nothing sits flat.

Monk_3.thumb.JPG.4915b3ce4d2378f450e31ad1cadc19cb.JPG

And a close up of the monk.

Monk_4.thumb.JPG.2d8109d7603a4a96af8bda51a7ddbaf5.JPG

The whole set.

Monk_5.thumb.JPG.8bde30ee8a5bbc05ab210bcddb6842a8.JPG

Compared to the add.

Monk_Set.thumb.png.3c04efdf9adc59c183d53b24dfbfcb68.png

So what did we learn:

• The monk has eyes.
  • The monk has mesh errors.
  • The pieces that make up the image are not shown in scale relative to each other.
  • The gong's mallet cannot balance because its weight is not evenly distributed.
  • The weapon rack, which is not in the set shot above but in my pics, has no way to actually hold any weapons. Yes you can glue them on but in the real world that design would be a recordable incident waiting to happen.
  • The tall table is tall.

In spite of its issues it does give me some terrain that I didn't have before and I should be able to scale the table, so the set was worth what I paid for it.  Now to look through the other sets I have to see if they share some of the same issues.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Here we have an archangel printed at 75mm!  Except she's not.  It's closer to 65mm, which is slightly too small.  On the plus side, she was only 1 build plate and used 50¢ resin. Mostly I'm out the time I spent supporting her, but since I only need to bump her up to 115% of her current scale I can hopefully edit what I already have. She is covered in detailed armor so she would make a good NMM/TMM practice piece. I also plan to print her GK style, but I have to decide on 1:8, 1:7, or 1:6 and then hope I scale her properly.

144265849_Archangel01.thumb.JPG.42726b43fb0cfa9bc915b1fe1de4f5f0.JPG

• Like 3

The upgrade to 75mm mostly worked with the prior supports, though there are a couple that I need to do some support work on and print again.  While I was at it I decided to try and dial in my nfep settings a little better and did the print a second time with a shorter exposure time.  I can't really see a difference so by Talespinner's advice, go with the shorter one.

343045829_Archangel02.thumb.JPG.5a9d9f22c1e715da9e573b27b867be4e.JPG

1210354072_Archangel03.thumb.JPG.2f7eb603fab7aa2038d462c96f696210.JPG

817118633_Archangel04.thumb.JPG.2d175a61d06f4fadd143fd04e0eb5b0f.JPG

I also tried my camera phone, but I can feel its limitations.

39404373_Archangel05.thumb.JPG.f7b49061277984bad73a604403777d3d.JPG

199913579_Archangel06.thumb.JPG.07515bb20f7c1f891090bb9cf29832c2.JPG

• Like 3

It occurred to me than while there is a valid reason to print the sword blade separately at GK size, at 75mm its problem because you have to glue it on.  So I combined it with the hilt and printed a new piece, as well as a wing that didn't print right the first time.

1886389025_Archangel07.thumb.JPG.132853d0ccb5bd7e7fe1d236bea863cd.JPG

• Like 3