Sign in to follow this  
Conan the Painter

Anuminar Winterbeard, Wizard (77661)

Welcome!  Nice detail work on the stars and owl.

Lighting advice, if you want it:

A third lamp (above the figure) would fill in those shadows cast by your two lamps.  Covering the lamps with white satin would make the light less harsh.

Including an object for color-balancing would also help -- I painted swatches of black, red, yellow, green, and blue on an index card; I do the automatic color-balance in my software, and then crop it out of the pic that I post.

Here's a shot of my setup from a few years ago; the physical setup and the lamps haven't changed, but the camera has.  I still use a 2-second delay to eliminate the shakiness of a camera held in the hand, but my current camera has a good standard macro setting rather than the manual focus and zoom that I had to use with my older camera.  Phone-cams now are pretty sophisticated, too.

(Anne Foerster gave all this advice to me 10+ years ago.  For color-balancing, she used to use pots of red/yellow/green/blue paint, with white labels and black writing.)

PhotoSetup-DKS.jpg.d9e9018351a5dd91f95919120b58667d.jpg

Keep painting and keep sharing!

Derek

• Like 4

Classic colour choices and the stars look good. 

When you observe the shadows cast by your light, you can find the areas where you may paint shadows. I use these technique while painting.

If the three lamps plus covering method is too much for you try daylight. You can achieve good results with indirect but bright daylight. Just dont put the minis into direct light or there will be harsh shadows again.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Dan S
      My first painted miniature of the year, Darius the Wizard.  Hopefully this will get the ball rolling again!

To be honest I am not generally a fan of plastic minis, I grew up in the days when miniatures were almost exclusively lead or pewter and so maybe I am a little biased, however I got this guy free with a recent order and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the new Bones USA plastic.  It feels solid, and is a lot more rigid than some of the other plastic miniatures I've had in the past, which can often be quite soft or even bendy.  The detail seems much more crisp and sharp too.  I think I may finally be converted to the world of plastic minis!

He was painted in an afternoon, whilst the base was made from Sculpy Clay, using balled up tinfoil to give it the stone like texture.

• By Darcstaar
      Another that started as a WIP.
      I was going for an East Indian skin tone.
      I find this figure curious for a mage, with armor and a spear.  And strange scalloped shapes on her back.  The color washes out the difference between the orange and yellow colors, sadly.

WIP Link below.
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/90829-darcstaar-vs-bones-1-episode-6-devona/&tab=comments#comment-1928602

Enjoy.

• By R2ED
      Based him and done. 

• By Chris Palmer
      This week I finished "Arakus Landarzad, Wizard" from the "Grey Beards" set in the Bones 4 Core box. I tried a couple experiments with this guy; one was using purple for the shadows on the yellow robes, and the other was using Citadel Contrast Paint to do the gem on the staff.  To read more about it see: http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2021/01/arakus-landarzad-wizard-bones-4-figure.html

• By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, here are pictures of the third model I entered in the Pathfinder painting contest. This is the metal version of 60009 Seoni the Sorceress sculpted by Bob Ridolfi.
      The challenging part on this one was painting the tattoos and the other freehand on her clothes.

• Who's Online   12 Members, 0 Anonymous, 70 Guests (See full list)