Getting to Know You January 2021!

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you have the misfortune to end up at my house right now, you can cook for yourself. And while you’re at it, clean up the kitchen and take out the trash.

Swears.

Does getting married count?

Posted Images

13 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 12th:

How many starter boxes/armies do you have for games you never got to play? Estimates are ok if you don't feel like digging through your hoard. Or do you just like painting and never actually intended to play a game?

Nah, I just like painting.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

But I thought the rule was always "he who dies with the most minis wins"? :huh:

That is something I am trying to avoid doing; re, the idea of having all my little treasures trashed when I am gone is horrifying.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 10
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

Yes, but I don’t want the cause of death to be “being crushed under a sliding stack of lead” ...

• Haha 13
3 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

Yes, but I don’t want the cause of death to be “being crushed under a sliding stack of lead” ...

From what I have seen of your collection in pics, that is a valid concern. You have quite the collection.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
14 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

How many starter boxes/armies do you have for games you never got to play? Estimates are ok if you don't feel like digging through your hoard. Or do you just like painting and never actually intended to play a game?

Boxes:

Warhammer 4th edition box (had three games, most recent 1997, gave the High Elves to a friend, kept the Goblins)

Mordheim (last game 2001)

GorkaMorka (never got to play, assembled/painted minis though)

Warhammer Battle For Skull Pass Starter Box (basis for my Coffee Dwarf army, still haven't assembled/painted the goblins, never got to play)

Fellowship of the Ring Starter Box, Fellowship Box, Box with Reinforcements (mostly painted except for the Fellowship, never got to play)

Pike & Shotte For King and Country Starter Box (using these as reinforcements for my Witch Hunter army)

Not Boxes:

In the course of bulking up my Angry Catholic army, I've probably got a decent start for a Reaper Warlord Crusaders army.

The Undead army I'm working on is a repaint of my 4th ed Warhammer force

In theory I have enough to build small forces for Kings of War/Oldhammer/Warlords of Erehewon/Oathmark and probably a few other rulesets if the opportunity for a game ever presented itself. In practice though, I'm just building armies of things I like.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
On 1/9/2021 at 7:14 PM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

20210109_200958.thumb.jpg.101553ce17f053c7065de458753d9036.jpg

I rolled a die and the result was ome of the plastic orginizers under the desk.  Anotjer roll selected the bottom drawer of said orginized.  Hey, whats that envelope?  Dragonbait Minis Black Halfdragon warrior sculpted by Andy Pieper!

I knew I had them somewjere but wasn't sure where until now.

I don't even have a copy of those yet!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 3
15 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Um, let's see....

Multiple Warhammer and 40k armies, boxes for Hordes, Warmachine, Infinity, Legends of Signum and Blood Bowl. I've given up pretending to want to play them anymore. My hobby is painting stuff and I'm okay with that now. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I don't even have a copy of those yet!!!

It's good to know people? ::D:

Actually, I was talking to Joe at a Convention and I was talking to him about them (I think you did a WIP on the forums back when you sculpted them or something?) and asking when they were going to come out because I wanted them, and he mentioned that he thought he had a spare set (either master casts or a test spin) somewhere at home and that he could mail them to me.  So I ran, not walked, to the ATM to take out the cash and I got them in the mail a couple of weeks later.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

rail raiders, once I read through it, it turned out to be a mess

zombicide invader, I bought this for the minis, undecided if I'll ever use it as a game

siege of the citadel, covid happened, hope to play it in the future

wander, hope to play post covid

Necron army warhammer 40k 9th ed. I played 8th ed, but well "covid"

assorted minis built for this is not a test, was supposed to start playing it the week after covid started.

battletech kickstarter minis COOOOOOVVVVIIIIIIDDDDDD

relic knights speed circuit. Game died before I finished building it

not including the ones that were bought without any intent ever to play

Edited by Werkrobotwerk
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I just remembered I have a copy of Milton Bradley's (Games Workshop's) Battle Masters that I found at Value Village. Cheap and complete (the vinyl mat was in great shape)! The original box is destroyed, the minis have had a very basic paint job and a layer dusty crud, but still usable.

pic4009930.jpg

I played it at my college's game club when it was new (early 90s), but not since. And the pieces deserve a new paint job.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Well, mine are Egyptian, so shabti?

The ancient Egyptians used to be buried with little statues (or miniatures, if you prefer) of humans. These little guys were often depicted doing chores that were common at the time, such as hoeing or spinning. They could be male or female. The afterlife wasn't a free ride, you had to work when you got there, so the idea was the little statues, called shabti, would come to life and do all those lousy things so the deceased could be on a well-earned eternal vacation. Some wealthy folk were also buried with whole dioramas in the same idea. There's a really neat one of a barn and one of a grain store. 

6 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

It's good to know people? ::D:

Actually, I was talking to Joe at a Convention and I was talking to him about them (I think you did a WIP on the forums back when you sculpted them or something?) and asking when they were going to come out because I wanted them, and he mentioned that he thought he had a spare set (either master casts or a test spin) somewhere at home and that he could mail them to me.  So I ran, not walked, to the ATM to take out the cash and I got them in the mail a couple of weeks later.

I was going to ask how Dragon Bait is to deal with. They recently acquired an Egyptian line and I'm considering placing an order. 

• Like 8
22 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Oh, more than I probably should have.

I bought the original version of "Test of Honour".The minis are fun and I kind of like the game mechanics, but I'm not that into samurai. The plan is to finish this and leave it at my cousin's cabin in the US when I can visit again. Maybe a new generation will be introduced to wargames?

I also have the MESBG (LoTR GW) reboot set from a few autumns ago in the closet. "Battle of Pelennor Fields". Will paint someday, possibly as an exercise in testing out the GW contrast paints. 

Finally, I have a number of sets from "The Walking Dead" by Mantic Games. It's a fun game, and I especially like "Here's Negan", because you can solo play it so easily. I have modern zombies everywhere. I'm not attached to the game, so I am planning on painting the base set and the expansions and selling them on the internet. 

The problem with wargames is that I live in the middle of nowhere and I have no one to play with. My family won't play any of the games. Recently, I discovered a FLGS in a nearby town, and I was excited to have someone to play something with. I bought a 40K starter set at the store and some Necrons from the internet, because that's what they play. I discovered I actually enjoy painting space marines. Then the store decided it would close on Monday, which is my day off. It's too far to go to after work, so I'm done with 40K for now. I will enter the Necrons in Armies on Parade next year, then flip those too. The space marines are my exercise in blending using glazes and look really good so far. I'll have no problems selling them. 

I have a whole display case full of armies I never get to play. Lately, I've decided to paint individuals instead of units, so I'm painting lots of Reaper minis. I'm having way more fun trying out new colour combinations and techniques than I ever did painting armies anyway. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Most of them...

Ok, being more realistic I can think of at least 12...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1