Getting to Know You January 2021!

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you have the misfortune to end up at my house right now, you can cook for yourself. And while you’re at it, clean up the kitchen and take out the trash.

Swears.

Does getting married count?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 13th:

If we were having a meal at your place, what would you serve? (Assume no dietary restrictions for the guest.)

Probably one of the following....

- Cottage pie

- Mac and Cheese

- Pulled chicken mac and cheese

- Tacos

Or most likely?

- Spaghetti, with a meat sauce.  Because that's just how i am.  I like my spaghetti, meat, and sauce.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

If we were having a meal at your place, what would you serve? (Assume no dietary restrictions for the guest.)

Something gluten, dairy, soy,  peanut, cashew, pistachio and chocolate free.

The guest may not have dietary restrictions, but we do...

So if I'm cooking it would be Roast Lamb  & vegetables...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I accidentally bought a 24 ounce can of chili recently.

(Online ordering. The pix of the cans all look the same size.)

So I would serve that.

What do you like served with chili?

I am probably out of it ^ but it does not hurt to ask.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Ooohhh Guests!!!

So many things to choose from, Asian, Tapas, Greek, French, Italian....

I'll go with Greek this time, one of my favorites

Did I mention I'm a Hobby Chef?

Enter at your own risk!

You might have to roll home.

Welcome-

Shot of Ouzo

Starters -

Tiny Spanakopita ( Phyllo Dough filled with spinach and feta cheese and herbs)

Tiropita ( Same but only with feta)

Phyllo Dough with feta and honey rolls with sesame seeds.

Main Course -

A platter with grilled lamb chops,Grilled Chickenbreast, Grilled Steak and some Gyros.

All with a different seasoning of course.

And a small portion of Stifado.

On the Side-

Pita bread, French Fries, Grilled Peppers stuffed with Tomato Rice, Large White Beans in Tomato Sauce, Tzatziki, Tirokaftiki and Taramasalata.

Eggplant with Feta and Tomatosauce from the oven.

Grilled Zucchini pancakes with feta.

Salad with tomato, cucumber, feta and red bell peppers.

Green Peppers, Olives ( Black and Green).

Desert-

Bougatsa and Baklava served with a scoup of Vanilla Ice and Whipped Cream.

Digestive -

Shot of Doriki

Followed by Coffee.

Drinks during dinner -

What you prefer,

Red Wine is recommended ( Merlot) or a nice beer.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4
5 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I don't get guests, so I don't have a go to recipe for such occasions.

So you would be stuck with whatever is coming up on the meal list, which, at the moment, gives you a choice of either 'Honey and Mustard Sausage Medley', 'Chicken Milanese' or 'Crispy Fish with Lebanese Rice'.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I was going to ask how Dragon Bait is to deal with. They recently acquired an Egyptian line and I'm considering placing an order. 

So, I have only dealt with Dragon Bait at conventions so I have no idea what their mail order is like.  Joe is a great guy to deal with personally, but can be a little disorganized according to his business partner (whose name I'm blanking on ATM, I want to say Tony).  I'm pretty sure if you order anything from the web store, it should be fine.  I have had to email to remind him about stuff we discussed in the middle of the vendor hall that re wrote down on a scrap of paper, but that can be expected.  I know that he cuts really good deals in person, doing on the spot discount as you add more...and more...and more to your order.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

If I'm cooking, probably grilled burgers (I grill year round) as that can be both low carb and not. Side of green salad, if you need it (I don't make small burgers.....).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Since it's winter right now, something like beef stew or chili: hearty, filling, makes a lot, and just really good on a cold day.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
7 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Apple, walnut, lettuce, and feta cheese salad, with vinaigrette dressing 

Kashk-e bademjan (and/or maast-o khiar) with lavash or sangak

Fesenjan or koofteh ghelgheli

Homemade berry ice cream 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

How about stuffed mushrooms to start with and maybe a simple crudites with some homemade dip. Sides would be something along the line of roasted carrots and broccoli, sauteed green beans with bacon and sliced pecans, maybe some wild rice with walnuts and cranberries, and some simple salad with homemade dressing. The main course could be a beef tenderloin with a coffee spice rub (man I haven't made that in forever). For drinks there would likely be a variety of beer, wine (a Petit Syrah goes well with the tenderloin), coffee, teas, or just whatever you want. And dessert would probably take the form of a blueberry cobbler or maybe a pie of some sort. Then more coffee - with your choice of spirits if you're so inclined - and probably a plate of cookies set out for anyone still grazing. Then I tell everyone to get out because I have a lot of dishes to do.

Man I really miss having friends over for big meals. 

Editing to add that I had to wipe the drool off my keyboard after reading everyone's responses.

Edited by Thoramel
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Take out from Opie's (BBQ).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Today, you'd be diving into some ziti with homemade bolognese. I'm currently out of parm/reg but such are the times in which we live.

Usually I have company over during the summer and it's tri-tips on the grill, maybe burgs and dogs depending on the setup. I grind my own burg mix and the dogs are made about 45 minutes from my house.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2