Getting to Know You January 2021!

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you have the misfortune to end up at my house right now, you can cook for yourself. And while you’re at it, clean up the kitchen and take out the trash.

Swears.

Does getting married count?

Posted Images

8 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 13th:

If we were having a meal at your place, what would you serve? (Assume no dietary restrictions for the guest.)

If you have the misfortune to end up at my house right now, you can cook for yourself. And while you’re at it, clean up the kitchen and take out the trash.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 15
9 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

If we were having a meal at your place, what would you serve? (Assume no dietary restrictions for the guest.)

Tonight it is Egg and Garlic Linguine with Pasta Sauce and Green Beans steamed.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Today it would be (looks inside fridge):

• leftover turkey and onions
  • spicy carrot leak soup
  • couscous salad
  • roasted butternut squash
  • aged cheddar
  • sauerkraut
  • diet Pepsi or gingerale

Other options are in the freezer, but they'll require 20-35 minutes of cooking.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Assuming that I knew you were coming and the weather were nice-ish:

Either Ribs in my smoker, or steaks or burgers on my grill.  Sides at random depending of time of year and availability (corn on the cob in season).

Planning on eating your way across the country visiting all of us?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
48 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Planning on eating your way across the country visiting all of us?

After reading everyone's responses I am now! I'm sure I can pitch it to some travel show tv channel to get them to fund it. With a Christmas special at @Glitterwolf's.

Most of the cooking I learned is from my mother, so it's southern style. I'd serve a breakfast-for-dinner of homemade biscuits with homemade sausage gravy, as well as potato hashbrowns and eggs. Haven't mastered all the ways to cook eggs, so your choice is scrambled, hard-fried, or sunny side up (50% chance those will turn out hard-fried).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
14 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Veggie katsu curry (made from sweet potato, quorn, carrot, butternut squash, cassava) with sticky coconut rice. Total comfort food for this rubbish weather.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I recently took a quest to the bottom of the freezer (I'm trying to pitch "True Confessions of a Food Hoarder" to TLC. It has food and hoarding, two very popular themes in the same show.) to discover why it was so full. I found 8 chickens. 8 whole chickens, which is a lot of chickens for a single girl. I also found a disturbing amount of pies. So it would be roasted chicken with winter veg and pie. You'd be perfectly safe, no worries about disappearing into the freezer, I can't fit a pound of hamburger in there right now, let alone unwanted guests. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Question for January 14th:

Besides minis, what else do you hoard? Is it something you are aware you do when it happens, or is it something you realize after the act (i.e. open the fridge and say "wow, I have a lot of ketchup packets")?

• Haha 9
On 1/12/2021 at 11:21 PM, ManvsMini said:

Oh, I love making and eating food!! I'm definitely stopping by every house with BBQ and/or lamb on my way to Glitterwolf's. :lol:

Our cool weather food: chili, stew, cottage/shepherd's pie, pho, carnitas, carne guisada, butter chicken, various veggies. Cool weather is the best ever for living low carb!

My love makes a fantastic breakfast (his two favorites are full english and good old sausage gravy and biscuits), so y'all are welcome to stay overnight for maximum game time. :wub:

10 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Besides minis, what else do you hoard? Is it something you are aware you do when it happens, or is it something you realize after the act (i.e. open the fridge and say "wow, I have a lot of ketchup packets")?

Well this is slightly related. I don't have a Shelf of Shame. I have a Closet of Forgotten Yet Nicely Organized Projects. I accidentally hoard projects, but I'm working through them now!

Also - game screenshots and reference images. I have a 3rd hard drive.....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
30 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Besides minis, what else do you hoard?

[Schultz Voice]

I Hoard Nothing, No-o-o-thing !!

[/Schultz]

There are things I collect and build stockpiles of though. Here's three:

• Hot Wheels Cars
  • Coffee and Orange Juice bottle Caps
  • Paperboard Tins

The HW Cars are just random purchases when I wander past them in stores buying other things. The last two items are for their terrain building value. Back to Hot Wheels: I allow myself to imagine I will someday have so much money I can commission and help build a posh, fancy, model RR layout. There will be a town for the trains to roll past and the cars on its streets will be nothing but Hot Wheels. (I know it will never happen, but it makes me happy to work toward the goal anyways…)

To get into my collection of HW Cars the car can't be a wacky design, have weird neon colors, garish graphics, etc.  It has to look like a car that might really exist in an HO scale alternate reality. There are some specialty subsets within the collection though: Race Cars the Lemans Style with the stabilizer fins; Gaslands fodder for conversion/repainting; and Unique things. 

That Last category includes Airshow planes, a mini-sub, and a few Federation Starships. Don't ask me how those things ended up being churned out by a Malaysian Hot Wheels factory but they were worth a $1 to me.

Is it something you are aware you do when it happens, or is it something you realize after the act (i.e. open the fridge and say "wow, I have a lot of ketchup packets")?

Both. 

Things I stockpile I need to organize better. But I am aware I kept them.

Miscellaneous packets (the technical term used by the industry is: cachets By the way) of ketchup, hot sauce or salsa get chucked if found in quantity. I will try to determine which handful is the freshest and pitch the rest. 

I actually manage to use some of them once in a while.

00054800030804-spanish-style-325x366.png

A packet of this ^ Tex-Mex rice benefits from the addition of two packets of hot sauce obtained from a fast-food source. Does not need more than that. So the having "cachets" saves from having to buy a whole jar of salsa just for a couple of Tablespoons of sauce.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

I'll admit to LEGO I may also have trouble throwing things out, but I'm not admitting to that

and I'm very much aware of it 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

I'll go with scale models.  They're kind of similar in some ways, except instead of it taking two weeks before you remember to prime it, it sits along with its compatriots in whatever areas you've stashed them away, and they plot... They've forgotten what they're plotting, but it's gooooood. 

This isn't based at all on the fact my collection has exponentially grown over the past little while, or that the current kit I'm working on I'm having to take more breaks than I was expecting due to so many small, tiny, detailed parts... 

Or that I want to order in even more kits, and am portioning them out in $80-100 purchase increments, as if such amounts were free shipping thresholds at some local shops... 

I also hoard collect older computer parts, as I used to competitively bench computers, and even used dry ice.  It was a ton of fun, but the past while I haven't had any desire to do such, and might not get back into it.  I used to be proud of how the stuff I had specifically acquired for benching had only been like $1k CAD worth of stuff, although I'd suspect there's a whole lot more involved if we include the cost of the gaming rig hand me downs...  Best part was at one point I was seriously considering having such  on display, or at least more organized so it could technically be shown off.. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Tea, the drink of the civilized.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 7
2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Shoes.

Not even in a female way, either. I have zero pairs of formal shoes. I have zero "cute" shoes. I have zero heeled shoes. I only have one pair of boots and they aren't even cute! But when I moved I realized I had half a dozen pairs of dead sneakers that I'd worn until they fell apart and then I kept them. I tossed them all out because even I admit that's weird but now I have 3 more pairs of dead sneakers and I don't know why they're still here. Why am I collecting stinky shoes? I'm no goblin!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7