ManvsMini

Getting to Know You January 2021!

2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 14th:

Besides minis, what else do you hoard? Is it something you are aware you do when it happens, or is it something you realize after the act (i.e. open the fridge and say "wow, I have a lot of ketchup packets")?

DVD's mostly Fantasy and Vampire movies/Series.

I also have quite a lot of books, comics and cd's.

I'm selling some of it to make room for stuff.

With youtube and the internet I have less need for some of it.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Besides minis, what else do you hoard? Is it something you are aware you do when it happens, or is it something you realize after the act (i.e. open the fridge and say "wow, I have a lot of ketchup packets")?

It was DVD's, I had over 3000 at one point.

I still have a lot, but it's measured in the hundreds now.

Nowadays, it could be herbs, spices and condiments, but I'm not sure how many is too many (my collection currently fills a small spice-rack, 2 old biscuit tins and 1 cupboard shelf).

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Shoes.

Not even in a female way, either. I have zero pairs of formal shoes. I have zero "cute" shoes. I have zero heeled shoes. I only have one pair of boots and they aren't even cute! But when I moved I realized I had half a dozen pairs of dead sneakers that I'd worn until they fell apart and then I kept them. I tossed them all out because even I admit that's weird but now I have 3 more pairs of dead sneakers and I don't know why they're still here. Why am I collecting stinky shoes? I'm no goblin!

I suspect such has to do with the mentality of keeping them as a just in case while you break in the new footwear..  At least it is for me, anyways, especially with work footwear... 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

In addition to minis, I am also hoarding molds for minis, both current and vintage. For example:

41AAB06B-13DC-44DC-922D-FB59079DAD38.jpeg.eb514a54fc2b948d9399702de233e9dc.jpeg

I need to spend some time getting the mold library organized before spring, so that I can find what I need when it’s time to cast it.

I also am a bit of a book hoarder, but with two moves since 2013, I’ve managed to keep that a little more under control.  

At least they are on shelves, with the history organized chronologically and the fiction alphabetically by author.

B5082C12-723E-496E-A4CD-30384DE53D40.jpeg.a12f742f4f1e99d83b94762453b1bcb2.jpeg

At this point, I’m under a thousand volumes, down from a family peak of about four thousand.  That side of the library is probably 60% of the total shelf space spread over two rooms.  

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Farm animals. I have 7 goats, 50 chickens, 5 rabbits, 10 guineas, a turkey, a peacock, 5 dogs, 6 cats

Edited by Smallbunyanga
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Question for January 14th:

hmm

Its really just minis 

Question for January 14th:

hmm

Its really just minis 

I have some D&D books.  1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3.5, 4th and 5th a modest collection from each and it starts to accumulate in terms of  linear feet. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Plastic containers. Practically every container that is made of clear plastic (typically store bakery cookies, pre-made salad containers and the like) ends up getting kept. It's a "I can use this to store ____ in, and see what's inside it" thought process, and gets saved. We have a stockpile of them, awaiting to get used, and I am aware of it as it happens.

We do have a surprising amount of ketchup packets though... and jelly packets from fast-food breakfast... and chopsticks... yeah, those are all "holy broccoli" realizations when the fridge or drawer gets opened.

• Like 9

I do tend to have backups for most everything that I use on a regular basis...it's a fear of running out with no way to get tom the store for more syndrome.

Other than ALL THOSE MINIS that will probably never see a paint brush, it is paints & thingies/trash that I know I can make something cool out of someday that have accumulated to the point of hoarding.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Miniature paint. I have some that haven't seen the light a day besides the time I bought them & opened the box up when I got them through the mail. I have some that still have the safety seal intact on them (sadly a couple of Citadel/GW bottles are in that mix). Heck, I still have old Ral Partha pots. They are just sitting in a box out in the garage right now.

Waaaay to many to be useful, but I like ordering them so the obsession continues.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Random crap by the look of it. Between my wife and I we have lived 13 different places over the last 25 years. Every time we moved several boxes, some furniture, or maybe even an appliance or two would end up packed up and left in storage. We never really thought about it until we bought the house we're currently in that has plenty of excess space for storing stuff. We moved everything out of the storage space and into the basement and attic and realized that "Oh No, we may have a problem here." We've been slowly going through all of it and either getting rid of it or repacking it into easier to store plastic totes if it's something of sentimental value. But it is slow going, and if you saw my basement even as recently as last year you'd probably think there's something wrong with us. Some of it has been really fun to find like that box with a functioning Sega Genesis and a bunch of games (lost my wife to that console for like two weeks). But most of it is stuff I just stand there scratching my head like the box full of smaller boxes. What the heck was I thinking there?

Edited by Thoramel
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

My wife is the ketchup packet hoarder....("We're doing low carb, you don't need to keep those...." *watches them go into the fridge* ). ::D:

I have a collecting issue, in that I like to.  i try to keep it close to one at a time don't really get there.

So:

Perhaps I have a small issue with minis paint. I only have two boxes of misc paints I need to fit in to my racks.  And a bag of 50+ bottle of duplicates for backup.  And I need to build another rack....

I'm (in)actively trying to reduce my book collection.  I actually gave away some last year, and recently confirmed a 2nd hand book store that is willing to look at them (conveniently across the road from the lfgs btw).

My basing materials MAY have gotten out of hand, considering how little of it I use... *checks tracking on basing materials for my Droid army*

And then there are tools.  Hand tools, power tools, all the tools. I may have an issue there.  Take sockets for example.  Everyone needs a good set of sockets. I have 3 full sets, plus 2 extra deep socket sets, plus 2 impact socket sets, plus some misc sizes that aren't in normal socket sets, plus some extra 17, 19 and 21 mm deep sockets for the cars (whichever fits the wheel nuts) since I don't like breaking up sets.....

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Some of it has been really fun to find like that box with a functioning Sega Genesis and a bunch of games (lost my wife to that console for like two weeks).

I commend both you and your wife on the choice of gaming console. I still have one of those as well. With the 32X adapter.

Today's question has inspiration from @Great Khan Artist's yesterday share of finding eight whole chickens in the freezer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, haldir said:

Miniature paint. I have some that haven't seen the light a day besides the time I bought them & opened the box up when I got them through the mail. I have some that still have the safety seal intact on them (sadly a couple of Citadel/GW bottles are in that mix). Heck, I still have old Ral Partha pots. They are just sitting in a box out in the garage right now.

Waaaay to many to be useful, but I like ordering them so the obsession continues.

Hey, isn't that @buglips*the*goblin near your garage?

• Haha 6

On 1/13/2021 at 12:21 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 13th:

If we were having a meal at your place, what would you serve? (Assume no dietary restrictions for the guest.)

Meal at my place is probably going to be for a game, so something I can make a large batch of. Likely a chili, corn pudding, and chocolate chip cookies & banana or pumpkin bread for after.

10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Books?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Ha, ha. Some dedicated paddlers have been known to live on ketchup packet soup during the height of paddling season. 

I guess, befitting of a proper Mongol, I have several hoards that rotate through the season. In the fall, I start hoarding boxes in anticipation of that perfect one for each gift at Christmas. In January, I have the great recycling hoard. In the summer, I have the great zucchini hoard. I really do have a food hoarding problem. My religion preaches having a year supply of food. I also live in the middle of nowhere, so in the winter the fridge has 2 weeks worth of goodies. I even freeze cartons of milk (it works better with skim and 1%). It's gotten so bad that when food comes home, before it goes in the pantry, I write dates on it in black marker.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1