Getting to Know You January 2021!

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you have the misfortune to end up at my house right now, you can cook for yourself. And while you’re at it, clean up the kitchen and take out the trash.

Swears.

Does getting married count?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 18th:

Was there a food you disliked growing up, yet now happily eat as an adult? How about a food you enjoyed when younger, but now won't consume?

Black pepper is something I didn't like a lot of as a kid. Now I go for the spicier foods in life.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Was there a food you disliked growing up, yet now happily eat as an adult? How about a food you enjoyed when younger, but now won't consume?

Turkey.  I was not fond of turkey when I was a child.  Probably because my mother overcooked it, and didn't take all that many measures to keep it relatively moist.  Sadly, I'm still not the biggest fan of such, but if work gives me one, I definitely don't complain...  Although I do prefer it when they give spiral hams... 

As for foods I enjoyed when younger?  Biggest thing that comes to mind is hot dogs, I guess... But that's because of allergies.  Not much comes out on the "I won't eat it now" list... 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I didn't like blue cheese when I was a kid, love it these days.

Vice verse, can't think of anything.

Although I rarely drink softdrinks these days anymore.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Tomatoes.

I'm still not that keen on them, but at least I will eat them now.

There's a few heavily processed food items out there (like cheap hotdogs) that I loved as a kid but won't go anywhere near now.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Was there a food you disliked growing up, yet now happily eat as an adult?

There was such a food. 

270609_2200-800x1200.jpg

6 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

How about a food you enjoyed when younger, but now won't consume?

There are several that fit this category. In no particular order:

Marshmallows

Yellow Corn

Pork Chops

Karo Syrup

Twinkies

...and that effervescent, corn syrupy, nadir of vileness:

Mountain Dew :zombie:

And I don’t know how I forgot to place them on the second list—the will not touch list:

Cheese Whiz and

Kraft American Cheese

:zombie: :zombie:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
7 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Sauerkraut, among many others. Wouldn't touch it as a kid, now I'll gobble it up, on hotdogs or in a Reuben sandwich (minus the Swiss cheese, still don't like that).

Used to eat a product called Totino's Pizza Rolls all the time in my early teens. Then at age 17, I picked up the flu when coming home from Germany for Christmas. I ate a massive portion of pizza rolls for dinner the night after I got home (with a cheap brand of root beer) and that night the flu manifested. Heaved my guts out, haven't touched them since. Ruined for me.

• Like 7

Onions & alfredo sauce 

Green Peppers (this one was more or less due to eating pizza at a local joint after school with friends. Suddenly, one of the small pieces just jumped off the pizza. Yah we left after that.)

Stuff I won't eat now:

Soda.

While it had no bearing on me getting a gall bladder attack a few years & having it removed, I just stopped drink it cold turkey. I think my last carbonated drink was a Sprite from McDs, a couple of days before I had surgery.

I'm not a big fan of sugary cereals anymore but I'll still consume Frosted Flakes over Corn Flakes.

Waffles. (I use to eat them all the time, whether they were home made or Eggo brand. I absolutely despise them now.

Brownies

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Nowadays, I eat all kinds of foods that I didn't as a kid. Mostly foods with more spices.

But I'm not sure there's anything I used to eat that I don't anymore other than really hard candy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

No, my tastes are still my tastes, just ask my wife. (Although I have not had a Peanut butter and sweet pickle  sandwich for a while.)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

I disliked most all vegetables when I was a boy. Now there are quite a few that I enjoy...sprouts aren't one of them.

The Golden Arches lost their luster as I grew older.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
On 1/17/2021 at 1:23 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 17th:

Is there a particular movie or TV show that you regularly quote?

Surely you can't be serious?

Do, or do not, there is no try.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few....or the one.

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you.

Inconceivable! 

There were many, mostly veggies, which I've come to enjoy.

I can't think of anything I liked as a kid I won't consume now other than sugared drinks, but that's more of a "don't want my diabetes to kill me" kind of then rather than a dislike.....

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

My tastes as a youngster were weird. I was the kid who loved eating broccoli and green peas (still do).

What I hated but now enjoy:

• Cheese (highly processed things like Velveeta were okay)
  • Rice
  • Melons
  • Brussels sprouts (not a surprise to many)
  • Milk (for a while)
  • Most cooked vegetables.
  • Coffee (smell was OK)
  • Anything fermented

Now I EAT IT ALL! ::P:

Now as an adult, I don't enjoy sweets as much as I did. My sense of taste/smell has weakened a lot in the past few years, so I find lots of stuff pretty bland. And of course, for overall health, I avoid overindulging on junk food... sometimes.

Things I'm still not a fan of, and will avoid if possible: mushrooms, asparagus, bell peppers.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I recently channeled my inner German and found a love of sauerkraut. Conversely, we used to eat liver sausage all the time on toast when I was growing up. I bought some, and I discovered that it tasted too much like...liver. I also can't eat certain foods like I used to. I loved pork ribs growing up, but they are too rich for my tummy these days. I also ate a leftover chocolate pop tart so the kids wouldn't and wondered why I liked them as a kid because they are disgusting. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Eggplant. Hated it as a kid. Now, as long as it's well made, I'll happily eat it.

I don't really drink soda anymore. Too sweet.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1