Getting to Know You January 2021!

ManvsMini

5 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 2nd:

What piece of hobby equipment did you use most last year? (A brush does count if you are so inclined.)

Toss up between

Photon S printer & Xuron nippers/Xacto knife

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

What piece of hobby equipment did you use most last year? (A brush does count if you are so inclined.)

That’s a tough question...it wasn’t a terrible year for painting, so brushes got used more than dice :rolleyes:, but I’d have to think that a more realistic answer would be “a pencil” because I spent more time doodling about plans, or “reading glasses” becuase they get used for hobby reading, painting, and the aforementioned doodling.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

A brush.

But does it count if the brush I ended the year with wasn't the same one I started with? (I got through about 3 or 4).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Last year I think my favorite sculpting tool edged out the brushes for most used tools.

Being a slob, paper towels are always in contention for most used item.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I haven't really hobbied at all last year due to reasons.

So, I guess I'll have to go with 'wallet'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

On 1/1/2021 at 12:20 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 1st:

Happy New Year! Forget the resolutions, which are usually what you are going to START or STOP doing. Tell us, what are you going to KEEP doing from last year (hobby-related or not, your choice)?

I'm going to try to keep up my goal of painting 10 minis a month (accumulative, so busy months make up for slow months)

Also going to try to continue to post minis on instagram at least once a week, preferably 3 times a week.

The astute observer will notice that my rate of painting doesn't quite match up with my desired rate of posting.  Maybe I'll keep up this year.

9 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Baking Soda and Super Glue.  This combo is great for pesky joins that don't want to hold, but my biggest use for it is quick basing.  It's cheap, and fast and means I don't have to spend so much time waiting for things to dry before priming and painting.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I’m going to keep trying my best to be a good mother. Which means being better at Adulting. Seriously, I’m so bad at it sometimes :wacko:

I am now almost certain my parents were bad at adulting, they just play-pretended otherwise much of the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

9 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Yeesh, that's a tough one (if I exclude wallet, at least.....).

After considerable thought, it shockingly isn't one of my 3D printers, although they are probably close.

It's my painting glasses and visor/lens thingy (I almost always use both).  I use them for painting, prepping, gluing, pinning, random household repairs of little things, reading tiny labels, etc.

If I'm hobbying they are usually on. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

It'd be my seam scraper. I assembled a lot of polystyrene models last year, and that one really works for getting mold lines removed without risking cutting myself or having to sharpen a blade repeatedly. Didn't work as well for some other hard plastics, but I never got the chance to use the scalpel I ordered.

5 hours ago, TGP said:

(Does / Can a computer count?)

If you hobbyed with it, yup!

• Like 11

10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I'd have to go with my wet palette.

It's the only piece of gear that I always use. More than any single brush, more than the miniature holder, more than my magnifier goggles, etc.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

I'd have to go with my wet palette.

Homemade wet palette or do you use a particular brand? I've got both the Sta-Wet Palette and the Redgrass Games palette, neither of which I've gotten around to trying because I keep going back to my homemade one. I cut a lot of parchment sheets sized for it, can't let all that go to waste.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Homemade wet palette or do you use a particular brand? I've got both the Sta-Wet Palette and the Redgrass Games palette, neither of which I've gotten around to trying because I keep going back to my homemade one. I cut a lot of parchment sheets sized for it, can't let all that go to waste.

I use the Sta-Wet with the included sponge and paper AND a layer of baking parchment paper.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

At first I was thinking my magnifying visor, because my eyes aren't so great these days. But then I realized it's actually my kegerator (refrigerator for storing and dispensing kegs of beer). It has only been empty once this year for a couple of weeks. The rest of the time it has been quietly sitting in a corner of the kitchen keeping my homebrew cold and ready to dispense. Valuable piece of hobby equipment right there. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1