Getting to Know You January 2021!

3 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I recently channeled my inner German and found a love of sauerkraut. 

I also ate a leftover chocolate pop tart so the kids wouldn't and wondered why I liked them as a kid because they are disgusting. 

Now that I've grown to love the sauerkraut, it's saddening to look back on the years I spent in Germany and refused to touch the stuff. As for chocolate pop tarts, those always seemed a bit sketchy to me, so glad to know my avoidance was justified. The cherry ones got it going on though.

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Eggplant. Hated it as a kid. Now, as long as it's well made, I'll happily eat it.

Never had it made well, so it's on my "avoid" list.

With regards to brussels sprouts, the taste doesn't bother me (one of those people who lack the gene to taste that bitter chemical), but they were always described to me as mini cabbages. If I want cabbage, I'd rather just eat cabbage, I don't need it mini-sized.

• Like 7
  • Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you have the misfortune to end up at my house right now, you can cook for yourself. And while you’re at it, clean up the kitchen and take out the trash.

Swears.

Does getting married count?

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

With regards to brussels sprouts, the taste doesn't bother me (one of those people who lack the gene to taste that bitter chemical), but they were always described to me as mini cabbages. If I want cabbage, I'd rather just eat cabbage, I don't need it mini-sized.

Well, if I’m not mistaken, I think that cabbage, brussels sprouts, brocolli, cauliflower, and kohlrabi are all cultivars of the same species.  Brussels sprouts halved and roasted in olive oil, and dressed with lemon juice and parmesan are a favorite here.  Seldom any leftovers...

I could eat beets and liver as a child but can’t force them down now.  I love my vegetables now, but didn’t much care for them as a kid, though that may have had to do with my mother boiling them until extremely limp.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 18th:

Was there a food you disliked growing up, yet now happily eat as an adult? How about a food you enjoyed when younger, but now won't consume?

Was a pretty adventurous eater as a kid. I would happily eat pickled brussel sprouts.

Now a days I can't do a lot of sweet things. Chocolate, for the most part, has to be dark. On rare occasions I will want sweet things but not often. By

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Was there a food you disliked growing up, yet now happily eat as an adult? How about a food you enjoyed when younger, but now won't consume?

1. I'm sure there are a few things, but none come to mind immediately

2. After discoveries of food intolerances in myself and my family I now won't consume: Dairy products, Gluten-containing products and Chocolate/cocoa/cacao containing products (the first two I can still have small quantities, but as I haven't been eating them it's safer for me to avoid, the last one is all mine - chocolate etc. gives me migraines).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

One thing about Brussels sprouts is that managed to breed the bitterness out of several cultivars since the 90s. So they absolutely don't taste as bad as we remembered.

Personally, I find they taste like concentrated broccoli.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4
19 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Avocado. Would not touch it as a kid, love it now. I still despise mushrooms though.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
On 1/14/2021 at 5:27 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 14th:

Besides minis, what else do you hoard? Is it something you are aware you do when it happens, or is it something you realize after the act (i.e. open the fridge and say "wow, I have a lot of ketchup packets")?

Paints, apparently. I had to narrow my desk rack to a mere 400 and believe me, it was sooo difficult! I can't mix paints for toffee, so I usually have to buy ALL THE PAINTS in any given range so that I don't have to think about all that complicated mixing nonsense ::P:

DSCN3028.thumb.JPG.db87afe6636ebf07564c420725a2d81f.jpeg.784b559f86159115b2f6f62b895d5809.jpeg

On 1/15/2021 at 5:32 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 15th:

You are given power over one of the classical four elements (earth, fire, wind, water). Which do you choose to control?

Definitely water!

Moana-Wave-Header-2_1050_591_81_s_c1.thumb.jpg.cf2420f999d8a5684b9c6264360fbc61.jpg

On 1/16/2021 at 5:24 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 16th:

Have you ever had a side job in addition to your regular work, or considered having one? What was it or would it be?

I did once and I was totally miserable. Nowadays I value my free time a lot more.

On 1/17/2021 at 5:23 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 17th:

Is there a particular movie or TV show that you regularly quote?

I'm sure there must be some, but I can't think of any right now ::(:

19 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I used to hate tomatoes, but now I'll happily eat them as a snack. I went veggisaurus before I hit my teens, so I guess that counts for the 'won't consume now' answer. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 19th:

What is your least favorite mode of transportation? (Ex. car, train, flying, bike, etc.)

Bicycles. Hands down. Before you laugh at how poorly I ride a bike, know that I ride a bike as well as you likely ride a horse. (I love to make the horses trot at the dude ranch.) :devil:  Furthermore, how many cops use bikes to stop a riot? Exactly. They use horses. Humans are so deconditioned from horses, they think horses will trample them in a riot. Maybe trained horses will, but horses will naturally try to avoid crushing things under hoof. A cow doesn't care. Horses are used because urbanites find them intimidating. 

I really just hate bicycles. They have their places--in third world countries, and maybe Nordic countries. Mostly, it's because so many of the bicyclers are so disrespectful. Not all of them are, but you have to always watch out for that one broccoli-hole who comes flying around the corner on the trail and just about flattens you. Also, they don't belong with cars, and they don't belong on pedestrian paths. Also, they get stolen all the time. The bad guys only ever tried to steal John Wayne's horse once. Could you imagine Westerns with bicycles instead of horses? I can tell you, you would scare the absolute beans out of any cattle and cause a stampede. Save the feral bicycles just doesn't inspire people like save the mustangs.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

What is your least favorite mode of transportation? (Ex. car, train, flying, bike, etc.)

I'm going to go with train, at least here in town.  Because the LRT barely goes anywhere.  Beyond that though, I'll say ETS in general, as it's the worst transit system I've ever used.  Takes way too long to get anywhere, and costs almost as much as car insurance every month for some reason.

EDIT: Eventually I'll have an LRT station something like only ten blocks from home, but it feels like I'll have a house before that actually happens, because construction was supposed to start something like five years ago, and the current southern half of it that they're doing is easily 3 years behind at this point.  Oh, and we won't talk about the revisions coming to the bus service, it's like some idiot in a suit that never uses the system tried to make it more efficient (every trip I can think of would take at least one more bus)

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Bicycle.

I feel too vulnerable on that in modern traffic.

Second - all forms of public transport..mostly due to their inabilty to keep a schedule ( always delayed) and..well...too many people.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
On 1/17/2021 at 10:28 PM, ManvsMini said:

I hated peas and green beans, but really it was just that I didn’t like them canned. Fresh and frozen are delicious. I didn’t like beans either, now I love them. 

Actually, it was really just that my dad was a bad cook, because once I learned to cook for myself, I loved a lot of foods I didn’t care for. 

Still don’t like pickles or mayonnaise.

For a very long time I couldn’t stand pork chops, owing to a month long period when I was about 16, where all we ate was pork chops and my dad only knew one way to cook them. Bleh.

3 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Flying. My legs swell up and my body hurts intolerably. Long bus rides are a close second. At least with trains I can get up and walk around and in car rides I can stop when I please.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

pickles or mayonnaise

Brain read that as and...  My first thought was "I wonder how that combi.." and then the rest of my brain kicked in, telling me that's a terrible idea of things to mix together in the same bite. 

Well, like just a pickle coated in mayo.  Might be tasty, but I'd prefer such a combination with the rest of the burger ingredients too.  Like a burger.  With extra pickles. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 5
4 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Taxi, the car air fresheners taxi drivers use here smells very off to me to the point that it makes me dizzy. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1