Getting to Know You January 2021!

ManvsMini

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 23rd:

If you could eliminate one food so that no one would eat it ever again, what would you pick to destroy?

Ooooh, that's tough to pick.  I would go with olives as well, but stuffed with the right things they're tasty, and even more important I absolutely love those middle eastern (and Greek, and a lot of countries surrounding it) treats that use the leaves wrapped around various things.  This from someone who pretty much hates olives, so much he avoids the olive bar that's at Superstore - it gets a very wide berth to say the least. 

I'd pick things that I'm allergic to, but I'm not gonna lie - if I were in Japan I can almost guarantee I'll try out tofu and other soy products even if it means a bad time 4-8 hours later because boy do I want to try out actual properly prepared tofu, as well as mochi.  I'd pick things hubby is allergic to, but by the gods are mushrooms amazing, with so many ways of being eaten, prepared, and served with other things. 

So instead, I'll go with something a little different - I would eliminate ALL of the terrible tasting veggie "burgers", "hot dogs", and such products.  Hear me out on this one.  I'm referring to those absolutely terrible ones that Yves made for years - not the actually tasty, relatively healthy, and good for you ones such as the products Beyond Meat and other companies make.  Those wanting to have a more vegetarian (or vegan, or the eighteen hundred other shades of such) diet should not be punished for such - they should have the same options we do. 

Oh, and since I'm eliminating the terrible ones in favour of stuff that's actually good, I'm going to add on to the "should not be punished" bit by saying they should be the same price as the other stuff (with no degradation in quality), for two reasons.  One, someone's diet should not force them into paying a 50% markup (that only gives them 75% as much product for some reason), and two, if they're the same price, people who are curious  will be a lot more likely to try it out. 

Alternatively, I choose to eliminate terrible cheap ground beef, because that stuff is just blech, and that was before I was spoilt by getting mine from a butcher shop. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

If you could eliminate one food so that no one would eat it ever again, what would you pick to destroy?

To make sure nobody eats it ever again?

DOG MEAT!

Hrmph...it was pointed out by our Royal Griffin @TGP that the intention is to destroy the source so nobody can eat it again.

Therefore I add a loophole, when a doggy passes away the body is cremated.

Nobody will eat dog meat again!

No living dogs will be harmed!

Should this not be allowed, then my choice is CHICORY!

That stuff makes me barf.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/21/2021 at 5:03 AM, TGP said:

Question for January 21st:

Does your family give pets both official names AND nicknames? 
If Yes, can you share some examples?

The trend is to not do that. Usually, it has been one name per animal. 

The only example I can think of was a little female cat that was half-Grey and half tabby. There was just a hint of stripes in her fur. She was an imperious, fussy, hissing little beast that acted like she hated everybody but my Dad. Even people that gave her food. ::o: !

I think her official name at the vet was “Princess” but Dad thought up another name for her: “Graymalkin”. That might be a literary reference. He liked literary references. 

She got along with one other cat, his name was “Pixel” named after the cat from the Heinlein novel, “The Cat Who Walks Through Walls”.

3 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

There are too many kinds of plant based food sources that have gone extinct to be doing that. Pass. 

The most I would do, is maybe ban Iceberg Lettuce from human consumption (there are other kinds of lettuce that are green — eat those), but it could be grown as Rabbit Food and maybe for a few other kinds of varmint-pets. Guinea Pigs...etc. 

(This is really low on my list of things and persons To Be Banned or Banished once I succeed at World Domination).

10 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

To make sure nobody eats it ever again?

DOG MEAT!

You might want to rethink this one WOOF Leader!  the premise is to prevent anyone from eating a food by destroying the source? 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I couldn't do that; re, there are a lot of foods that I think are disgusting which other folk adore. Just because I think it causes gag reactions in vultures & hyenas doesn't mean others should be denied the privilege of putting that filth in their mouths.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I would eliminate the need of any country to eat Shark fins, Rhino horns, etc.

Got to protect the endangered species 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 1/22/2021 at 5:16 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 22nd:

Tell us two truths and one lie about yourself, in any order. You can reveal the lie in a spoiler, or leave us wondering, the decision is yours.

1. I am pretty good at shearing sheep

2. I am a proud member of Team Iron Man

3. I have never seen The Goonies

9 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Another vote for olives and mayonnaise here, just the thought of them make me gag :zombie: 

1 hour ago, Dragoneye said:

High fructose corn syrup

<insert healthy eating rant here>

I'm forever grateful that corn syrup isn't a thing over here. Instead we have recipes that start with "Take a kilo of sugar....."

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, malefactus said:

I couldn't do that; re, there are a lot of foods that I think are disgusting which other folk adore. Just because I think it causes gag reactions in vultures & hyenas doesn't mean others should be denied the privilege of putting that filth in their mouths.

Yah this is probably my answer as well, thou if I REALLY had to pick one & it's not really a food, but Diet Coke would make a run at the top. I don't know how many times I've grabbed my wife's 52 oz mug & thought it was mine (I drink Lemon Lime Gatorade whenever we re-fill mugs)....BLEECH!! Even when I was still drinking soda, I couldn't stand that vile blackness of a drink!!! :lol:

6 hours ago, TGP said:

The most I would do, is maybe ban Iceberg Lettuce from human consumption (there are other kinds of lettuce that are green — eat those), but it could be grown as Rabbit Food and maybe for a few other kinds of varmint-pets. Guinea Pigs...etc. 

Technically, that lettuce is bad even for rabbits. ^_^

Rabbits shouldn't eat some lettuces (e.g. iceberg) as they contain lactucarium which can be harmful in large quantities. Some lettuce is "worse" than others - light-coloured varieties are high in water and have very little nutritional value, so are not recommended

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I'm also voting for High Fructose Corn Syrup. Stuff tears my stomach up something terrible. And it's in way too much processed foods here in the US. I mean, I don't want to destroy all corn, maybe just have the Cargills and Archer Daniels of the world produce something else.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

For pure taste and texture, I would eliminate mushrooms from the dinner plate. Let them keep growing and decompose and recycle organic matter.

P.S. Thumbs up to high fructose corny syrup, shark fin and other overly subsidized or exploited "delicacies" that are driven by greed instead of nutrition.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I follow the cardinal rule: never yuck another's yum. While I might not like something personally, it is pure arrogance to believe that nobody else should have something just because it doesn't fit my own tastes. Diversity is what makes life worth living, and sometimes you find things you've dismissed previously in your life have become a lot more pleasing later on.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Sugar, including the high fructose version. It’s basically poison and as a species, we’re addicted to it. We’d learn to exist without it.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Dragoneye said:

High fructose corn syrup

<insert healthy eating rant here>

@Dragoneye has destroyed all the corn crops.

4 hours ago, Smallbunyanga said:

I would eliminate the need of any country to eat Shark fins, Rhino horns, etc.

@Smallbunyanga has annihilated Sharks and the last few Rhinos.

3 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Another vote for olives and mayonnaise here, just the thought of them make me gag :zombie: 

A vote against Mayonnaise doesn't destroy all chicken eggs and the other ingredients of Mayo just whatever stockpiles there are of the finished product. So that is workable. However…

Olives? destroying all Olives leaves half the world without cooking oil… :unsure:

1 hour ago, Cranky Dog said:

For pure taste and texture, I would eliminate mushrooms from the dinner plate. Let them keep growing and decompose and recycle organic matter.

P.S. Thumbs up to high fructose corny syrup, shark fin and other overly subsidized or exploited "delicacies" that are driven by greed instead of nutrition.

Per the premise: this fantasy world is without Mushrooms (and perhaps goblins :lol:), cornfields, and sharks.

7 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Sugar, including the high fructose version. It’s basically poison and as a species, we’re addicted to it. We’d learn to exist without it.

:unsure:

Ummm. Not exactly? Brain and other organs require Glucose which is a sugar. No sugar at all = extinction.

• Like 6