Sign in to follow this  
ManvsMini

Getting to Know You January 2021!

9 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 24th:

Open your purse/wallet. What’s the most random thing in it?

Expired business cards; expired appointment cards; membership cards; credit cards; driver's license; medical insurance card; medical info card; spare house key...

But the most random is a single, folded, US $1 bill.

I haven't carried paper currency or coins in years, let alone foreign currency, unless a special need arises.

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Sat-Sun, Jan 23-24: Who here has the forgotten gift card with the lowest non-zero remaining balance?

According to what's written on the card, I still have $1 at the liquor store.

Luckily, gift cards from specific places don't expire around here.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2021 at 1:33 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 23rd:

If you could eliminate one food so that no one would eat it ever again, what would you pick to destroy?

Based on those criteria, I'd go with dill.  (sorry, dill lovers).  It is a vile weed that the mere smell of makes me nauseous.  And "clever" cooks are constantly stuffing it into dishes where it doesn't belong and never put that fact on the menu. One of the reasons I'm not much of a fish fan is that so many dishes have been ruined by "Surprise! Dill!"

9 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Probably the Opus metro card for Montreal.   I haven't been there since 2018 (this year isn't looking good either).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I have a new (2 years old) wallet that is neat , organized, & contains nothing superfluous. HOWEVER, my old wallet is a totally different story. It is probably forty years or more old. It holds all sorts of things that might be consider trash, but actually are necessary items.

Let me explain: There is a Suffolk County disabled/elderly bus pass & a Social Services ID that I may never need again, but they bring back memories of hard times & a realization that in the hardest of times there is still joy. I have my original Social Security card from my early teens. It represents long years of working less than pleasant jobs, but it brings me memories of people I worked with who I loved & respected. There is a Mensa membership card that expired in 1972. While it might have some snob value, it has a sobering effect in that it points out all I might have been & didn't become. The bag of little rubber bands that I used to wrap brushes & balsa wood into bundles that wouldn't get wrecked in transport; it might not be used again, but who knows?.

I think I will use the new wallet & treasure the old one.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I have no random items in my wallet.

Just my cards and some photos.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I found an old SIM card in mine. I think it's been through the laundry a few times. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Nothing random. My wallet made a trip through the washing machine recently enough that it's still organized from having to empty all the stuff out of it to dry. Though when I cleaned it out there was a sticker in there that just said "Great Job" on it and I have no idea where that came from.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

22 hours ago, TGP said:

:unsure:

Ummm. Not exactly? Brain and other organs require Glucose which is a sugar. No sugar at all = extinction.

Yes and glucose can be derived from a variety of foods aside from pure sugar. Pure sugar, including high fructose corn syrup, causes glucose spikes in our systems, overloading us, eventually causing diabetes. I say this as a sugar loving nut, fully aware of my own hypocrisy, but as a species we’d be better off with out sugar cane, sugar beets, and corn.

Besides, there’s still like, 5 other plants you can derive a sweetener from, and honey.

19 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Artificial sweeteners.

They have no caloric purpose, they taste like metal, and they still cause an insulin response thus negating any sort of "benefit" they might have for most purposes.

And did I mention they taste like metal? Not even good metal like Motorhead, they taste like eating staples and dirty pennies.

Enjoy real food. Learn moderation. If you require soda may I introduce you to unsweetened seltzer, it comes in lots of flavors.

Yes, and all those flavors are angry :lol: I actually like the flavor of two of the artificial sweeteners. To me they give a milder, less harsh sweetness, that enhances the other flavors of the thing I’m drinking (which is why I can taste the cloves and nutmeg in Coke Zero, but not so much in regular Coke).

12 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

A pair of doll shoes.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

Nothing random. My wallet made a trip through the washing machine recently enough that it's still organized from having to empty all the stuff out of it to dry. Though when I cleaned it out there was a sticker in there that just said "Great Job" on it and I have no idea where that came from.

Maybe the washing machine put it there to throw you off the trail of the dryer eating a sock...

• Haha 11

16 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Either a Idaho 1 million dollar raffle ticket (New Year's drawing) I need to see if I got anything off of it or a note on what my daughter likes on her Subway sandwiches.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I thought that I was mostly cleaned up, but it appears that I have two discount coupons for potential large shopping trips that both expired in 2019...Other than that, a booklet of stamps, two freestyle session tickets for the University of Delaware ice rink (just recently reopened but I haven’t done the required COVID online training), and a credit card sized multi-tool kit in case I forget my pocket knife.  I’ve managed not to forget it at an airport so far ...

What there isn’t is any money, apart from a back-up $20 bill for emergencies. (Are there still cash emergenices?)

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

nothing interesting, drivers license, money, atm card, credit card, union card, health insurance card, library card, membership card for a game store, rewards card for panera, 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Paper insurance card for a car I haven't had since 2016, and three business cards for the same doctor.

• Like 8

23 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Nothing. That's weird isn't it? I keep my purse completely empty. I only put what I need in it when I need it. My 'wallet' is my phone case and has my id and 2 credit cards... effectively nothing. Don't get me wrong, I have lots of random stuff... I just dont carry it around with me.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Question for January 25th:

What’s the funniest (or most memorable) thing that happened on your family vacation (or a vacation just for yourself)?

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 25th:

What’s the funniest (or most memorable) thing that happened on your family vacation (or a vacation just for yourself)?

That would have to be when we went fishing at the lake with some friends, and we saw [redacted]. That's all I can say here on the forums, which is a shame because the story is hilarious.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1