Getting to Know You January 2021!

8 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 31st:

Would you rather always be slightly late or super early to everything (meetings/appointments/dates/etc.)?

And that does it for me, thank you all for playing. Next month's inquisitor will be @TaleSpinner.

I tend towards being early. Easier to spot an ambush that way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you have the misfortune to end up at my house right now, you can cook for yourself. And while you’re at it, clean up the kitchen and take out the trash.

Swears.

Does getting married count?

Posted Images

9 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Would you rather always be slightly late or super early to everything (meetings/appointments/dates/etc.)?

And that does it for me, thank you all for playing. Next month's inquisitor will be @TaleSpinner.

What is this 'late' you speak of? Nothing important ever starts until I arrive.

More seriously, early. I hate being late for things.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Early I suppose. I'm always early for work stuff, but I'm always a few minutes late to social gatherings. On the one hand, I can't stand wasting work time. But on the other it's always awkward to be the first to a party and then you have make a bunch of forced small talk with the host. Or even worse, they put you to work finishing getting the event ready. But between those two, not being early for work meetings would drive me nuts.

Thanks for the month of questions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

This is not even a "would your rather" question for me.

I AM always early for meetings and such.

And thanks for the wonderful questions!!!

Well, you're military. I was told military people are expected to be somewhere 15 minutes before the stated time. 

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Well, you're military. I was told military people are expected to be somewhere 15 minutes before the stated time. 

Well, that training might have something to do with it.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

This is not even a "would your rather" question for me.

I AM always early for meetings and such.

And thanks for the wonderful questions!!!

It's the snack platters and free food that has you show up early, isn't it :devil:

Get there for the good snacks, before too many others have cleared out the good stuff.. 

• Haha 4
58 minutes ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I'm not even military, but I was always told "Early is on-time. On-time is late. Late is unacceptable." It's ingrained in me so badly that I start feeling sick if I get stuck in traffic on my way somewhere.

I'm already early to everything. Even super early. I hate being "that guy who is always late." If I'm early for an appointment, I'll find someway to kill the time (at least I used to pre-pandemic).

**Found this humorous. Apparently the spellcheck doesn't approve of "pre-pandemic"; my options to change it are "per-pandemic", "ore-pandemic", "pee-pandemic", "pr-pandemic" and "re-pandemic." Pee-pandemic has me chuckling so much my ribs are hurting... just imagine a pee-pandemic hahaha.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
54 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

It's the snack platters and free food that has you show up early, isn't it :devil:

Get there for the good snacks, before too many others have cleared out the good stuff.. 

I have no idea what you're talking about...***Brps, Hic***

• Haha 5
12 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

First thing's first: I don't operate on Reaper TimeTM. (I can't find the right setting for it on my phone/computer)

I HATE being late. Too often in my life I've been made to wait like an idiot because other people couldn't be there on time. I don't mind waiting if it's of my own doing.

So for sheer courtesy and respect of my host, I always aim to arrive early or on time. If I'm 5 minutes late, something went dreadfully wrong on the way.

If I see I'm going to be super early, then I'll wander around for a while before arriving.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I'm not even military, but I was always told "Early is on-time. On-time is late. Late is unacceptable."

Very much the same. Though my dad was military, so maybe that's where I got it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Crowley said:

Early. Definitely early.

Well, with child in tow you'll need to move from Early to Obscenely Early when leaving the house, as children add a minimum 10 minutes every trip...

As for me, I used to be early, and prefer to be early, however children and wife have a different concept of 'on-time' than I do...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I hate being early, so yeah, slightly late sounds good. 

I want to clarify this, given just how many others are commenting with the thought process of "on time is late".  I took my preferred choice out of the two options.  I interpret "super early" as being upwards of an hour early, and "slightly late" as 3-5 minutes, possibly even just thirty seconds late. 

I also catch the bus to get around, and here it's commonly stated that transit will get you to your destination either half an hour early (or 45 minutes early for 45 min schedule buses) or five minutes late.  I'd love a transit system that runs on the actually posted schedule, but the idiots who plan the schedules clearly don’t catch the bus and don't bother actually trying to use it.  See previous rants about how they're changing scheduling and routes in April to "be more efficient" yet for every trip I've looked into it's 1-2 more transfers to get around, which means more opportunities to miss that every half hour (or every hour) bus you're trying to reach to get home. 

I do actually prefer to be slightly early, typically 5-10 minutes depending on things, and I also add in 15-20 minutes buffer for my travel times depending on where I'm going and how far it is...  And this tends to have me be anywhere from just on time to about twenty minutes early.  It's come in rather handy when a customer has asked my boss when I'll be visiting them, and I pad the time only to have a twenty minute train show up. 

But super early, like an hour early?  Screw that.  That puts you into even earlier in the day, typically in one of those ranges where nothing is open... 

I'm also one of those people that if something happens like say massive blizzard or bus breaks down and I know I'm going to be late, I'll call whoever I'm meeting up with to let them know. 

Just remember, that if you're stuck because the highway up ahead was closed due to air ambulance needing to land, tell your boss you got home safely when you do get home so they aren't worrying!  Yup, speaking from personal experience. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 4
17 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Slightly late.  
But for my family that means ten minutes before the announced time.

6 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

So they want you to be late?  15 till is late.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I have a friend who's super early to things. Like, half-an-hour to fifteen minutes early. It drives me crazy. So I'd stay away from that.

But I HATE being late to things. It makes me feel like I'm disappointing everyone and missing out.

So I guess I'll go with the lesser of two evils and go with early. There's really just no winning, is there?

Thanks for the fun month, @ManvsMini! Great questions!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1