Getting to Know You January 2021!

ManvsMini

7 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 3rd:

One final query about last year, then we're putting that behind us! What's one mini/bust/box-set from your stash that you wish you had painted last year, but didn't get around to doing? Pics are welcome, but not mandatory.

BE30576C-8703-43CC-B9C5-9FA89D3BEF5B.jpeg.92c5971a2cb111553371749653a5d80b.jpeg

The most nagging unfinished 2020 project I have is this unit of 6 40mm cavalry home cast from Nuernberger Meisterzinn molds. They are intended to be British 1792 light dragoons, and I decided I would enhance their acuracy by extending the helmet crest around to the brim with green stuff, as on the front figure.  Clearly I am not cut out to be a sculptor, since procrastinating on that pretty simple little project has kept me from finishing all last year.  Once I finish these guys, the NEXT unit should be simple and straightforward by comparison.  The previous unit I painted took only a few days. :wacko:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

One final query about last year, then we're putting that behind us! What's one mini/bust/box-set from your stash that you wish you had painted last year, but didn't get around to doing? Pics are welcome, but not mandatory.

There are a couple of figures I started but didn't finish, but I think the one thing that I do wish I'd gotten done would be my Tau BFG cruisers.

IMG_20200530_225353.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

7 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

You know that's pretty much all of them.

What he said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

This bad boy, Paraxis the Scarlet. I really need to level up my NMM and OSL to attempt him properly. I really can't afford another one!

575430497_Diving-Dragon-1(1).thumb.png.c67514769fdd4d056de840db646adb4b.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Bones 1-4, most of them are unpainted.  See previous answer about procrastination.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

The Blacksting wyvern from Bones 4. It's been prepped and ready to go for a while now but every time I get it down to work on it I just sit there staring at it trying to come up with a color scheme. Then after a while, when I've given up, he goes back up on his shelf above my work bench where he can stare down at me reminding me that I've got no idea which way to go with it.

397146148_IMG_20210103_1149283012.thumb.jpg.c5e6f8df233f1b2bee6699d36aa850e6.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

DDS2.  I actually had a test piece out and primed, and a color scheme figured out.... and went to buy paint only to find my primary base color was one of the discontinued lot.  So it sits on the edge of the table until I work up the energy to start over. 

I've wanted to do the Lost Kingdoms figures I got, too.  Opened up these babies, to find they are microscopic, in multiple parts, and need flash cleaned off every piece. Sigh. 

80a9cda8bf9bea7cddc0601da17380a6_original.jpg.346327c8940378ac568eda94e3acd552.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Still didn't finish my Town House

And my Earth Tremor I printed in parts.

20201201_165728.jpg

20210103_185441.jpg

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Lots of things I needed to get done last year, mostly for my brother, but I got nothing fully painted. But what I really wanted to get done was the figures for the Dark Crystal board game by Riverhorse Games.

1547090107_darkcrystal.jpg.d064b018662e13e635303fd2497550b0.jpg

I got those three Christmases ago, and haven't even taken the shrink-wrap off the game.

• Like 9

On 1/1/2021 at 11:12 PM, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 2nd:

What piece of hobby equipment did you use most last year? (A brush does count if you are so inclined.)

Ender3 printer

20 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Everything was already boxed up when the Battletech KS showed up.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Thoramel said:

The Blacksting wyvern from Bones 4. It's been prepped and ready to go for a while now but every time I get it down to work on it I just sit there staring at it trying to come up with a color scheme. Then after a while, when I've given up, he goes back up on his shelf above my work bench where he can stare down at me reminding me that I've got no idea which way to go with it.

397146148_IMG_20210103_1149283012.thumb.jpg.c5e6f8df233f1b2bee6699d36aa850e6.jpg

I totally get your perspective with this mini. I got two in the kickstarter, fully intending to paints them as a Rathalos and Rathian (male and female wyverns from the Monster Hunter computer game), but I realized that I'd really have to do a lot of green stuff work to adapt them, so that got put on the back burner and I ended up just going for purple, turquoise and green for the one that I've attempted so far.

Rathalos

1608278277_OIP(97).jpeg.16cafdc690f7a7a9cce89bb99c649de6.jpeg

Rathian

FIG-IPN-5563_05.jpg.36ffb2fd1a882ed78a841428d4a6b5b0.jpg

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I was hoping to paint Ma'al Drakar, but never worked up the courage to tackle him. I even got an airbrush over the summer from some friends that I was hoping would help me, but I got intimidated by the airbrush instead. Finally broke in the airbrush today though! Also have some big minis to test out time saving techniques on in preparation for Ma'al. Hopefully by this time next year he'll be the center piece on my mini shelf!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I've been itching to paint goremaw since the kickstarter, but last year was the pits. At least he's been cleaned, so maybe he'll be my giant for RCL this year.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1