Getting to Know You January 2021!

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you have the misfortune to end up at my house right now, you can cook for yourself. And while you’re at it, clean up the kitchen and take out the trash.

Swears.

Does getting married count?

Posted Images

On 1/28/2021 at 5:10 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 28th:

What's a word you mispronounced as a child? How did you pronounce it?

I can't think of any, unfortunately I can't ask my parents anymore.

On 1/28/2021 at 12:16 PM, TaleSpinner said:

That said, my North Wisconsin dialect has always caused me grief with certain words and makes my MN friends laugh at me on occasion.  For example, I pronounce the words "Caught" and "Cot" exactly the same, both sounding like "Cot."  I do the same with other words like "bought" and "bot" and "dawn" and "don."  

You're not alone- that's exactly how we say those words. Maybe North Wisconsin has some Scottish roots?

On 1/29/2021 at 5:07 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 29th:

When you reread a novel, do you read the entire book, or skip past the boring/slow bits to get to the parts you like?

I'll usually read the whole thing.

On 1/30/2021 at 5:41 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 30th:

Do you have any crazy roommate stories you'd be willing to share with us? (They don't even have to be crazy, I'll settle for humorous to mildly entertaining.)

How about the time my housemate decided to test how hot the boiling caramel was by sticking their finger into it? ::o::blink::angry:

Spoiler

Said finger came out of the caramel completely unscathed. I still have no explanation how we didn't end up in the emergency room.

21 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for January 31st:

Would you rather always be slightly late or super early to everything (meetings/appointments/dates/etc.)?

And that does it for me, thank you all for playing. Next month's inquisitor will be @TaleSpinner.

Early all the way, especially if it's somewhere that you have to travel to. 

Thanks for all the questions @ManvsMini, there was a great selection!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

**Found this humorous. Apparently the spellcheck doesn't approve of "pre-pandemic"; my options to change it are "per-pandemic", "ore-pandemic", "pee-pandemic", "pr-pandemic" and "re-pandemic." Pee-pandemic has me chuckling so much my ribs are hurting... just imagine a pee-pandemic hahaha.

Well, based on the toilet paper hoarders, many, many people were imagining a pee-pandemic. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
On 1/30/2021 at 10:24 PM, ManvsMini said:

Would you rather always be slightly late or super early to everything (meetings/appointments/dates/etc.)?

And that does it for me, thank you all for playing. Next month's inquisitor will be @TaleSpinner.

See, I hate being late for things, and as a rule I’m always early. Because you never know what could happen on your way there. 

But always super early??? At this point in my life, hell no. I’ll be a slightly late before I waste time sitting around doing nothing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

28th: words

I've always had a problem saying the word specifically. I can say it in my head, but when it comes out, yah whatever.

31st

Early. I've always hated walking into say a classroom late & all the eyes upon me as I enter....ugh.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
On 1/30/2021 at 11:24 PM, ManvsMini said:

Super early.  I feel that being late is the height of disrespect for others and their time, especially people who are chronically late to everything.  I usually try to be 5 to 15 minutes early.  Better I wait than I make others do so.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
On 1/30/2021 at 11:24 PM, ManvsMini said:

I believe in the SEAL’s / USN adage: If you are not five minutes early, you are late.

But, always super early is super annoying. 
But, always slightly late is useless (and perhaps deadly in non-civilian scenarios).

So I guess I’d pick super early, given only those two choices. 

But five minutes early is best practice,

gives you time to get sighted in...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

How about the time my housemate decided to test how hot the boiling caramel was by sticking their finger into it? ::o::blink::angry:

Hide contents

Said finger came out of the caramel completely unscathed. I still have no explanation how we didn't end up in the emergency room.

My grandmother used to pick up hot things and foods in the kitchen without damage all. the. time. ...my cousin and I watched her do that trick many times when we were children. 

I finally worked out how it was done all these years later. 

Griffin Follow-on Question: Do you wanna know the secret?  Or is it more fun to leave it a mystery?

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, TGP said:

My grandmother used to pick up hot things and foods in the kitchen without damage all. the. time. ...my cousin and I watched her do that trick many times when we were children. 

Griffin Follow-on Question: Do you wanna know the secret?  Or is it more fun to leave it a mystery?

I like to know!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, TGP said:

Of course! 

My housemate just claims that they have Teflon hands....

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:
1 hour ago, TGP said:

Of course! 

My housemate just claims that they have Teflon hands..

It was my toaster that gave me the clue. 

The Secret:

Food refuses to heat evenly. 

High Level cooks (XP counts!!) like my grandmother develop an innate understanding (that they might not even be aware of) of this. And they exploit it to move and touch things that ought to be too hot to touch. 

With Toast:

I noticed I could touch toast the second it was out of the toaster if I did not touch the darkest areas on the toasted bread. Some spots on the bread looked about the same colour as an untoasted slice of bread. The light-bulb moment was realizing that the colour changed the most where the bread had absorbed the most heat. 

Caramel:

I have no idea what the boiling point of Caramel is. (99°C ?) But, what I think happened is your housemate dipped their finger into a zone within the heating mass of Caramel where it was not at or near the boiling point. Thus no burnination. 

Back to my Grandma:

She would move toast about at will and tell small children, “careful that’s hot”. 

Me as child: Touch toast anyway, “Ow, ow, hot!”

Grandma: “Wait till it cools...”

Me wanting warm toast: **waits briefly** Touches toast again, “Ow !”

Grandma: “Here...” **she deftly snags a piece of toast from lower down the stack of toast, puts it on my plate**

Me: **decides that Grandma does magic**

Here is what happened: First touch, I touched a hot zone. It hurt. 

Second touch: the fresh toast on top had a chance to “rest” (is what cooks call it) which allowed heat to flow from the hottest zones into cooler areas. It started to equalize. I touched the toast when there was no spot on it that was safe to touch.

Then using her innate ability: Understand Heatflow she snagged a different piece that had radiated sufficient heat into the room air that it was safe for child me to handle. 

(A contributing factor to all this is that the skin of a single digit age kid is thinner and less tough than that of an adult.)

It also works with cookware and implements; those also heat unevenly and with lots of XP in a particular kitchen a high level cook just knows what is not touchable and when it is again. 

But knowing the ‘secret’ that:

objects and substances heat unevenly

can inform / teach you what to observe and pay close attention to so that you can more easily catch up to a very experienced cook. Knowing what to look for is the key.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
On 1/31/2021 at 1:24 AM, ManvsMini said:

Despite being a day late answering this, I prefer to be early, even super early.  Back in the before days, when we used to leave the house, I'd usually get to the move theatre early enough to be seated and snacking comfortably before the pre-show started.

On the topic of Grandmas and hot foods, another factor may be that many professional bakers and chefs actually burn their fingers enough that they end up with reduced sensitivity in them (I recall this being mentioned a few times on cooking competition shows) giving them a greater tolerance to touching hot things, as they can't feel it.

Wet hands can also protect you for a very short period of time.  Check out the assorted videos on dipping fingers into molten lead....

Caramel melts at 320-350 F, and being sticky.....were their hands perhaps wet?

Thanks for the questions @ManvsMini!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1