Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Here we go again!  Turning this into quite the painting week.  With 20+ goblins I've got quite a few to get through, so trying to make it fun and challenge myself with new colors/methods each time.

 

This one was based with a darker green first in Flat Green, then washed with a 4:1 wash of Drakenshade with Flow Improver in the recesses.  Then used my usual Goblin Green to cover it.  Still messing with their eyes in a cartoon fashion, which is working well.  

1.  Learning to use wash over less of the whole area and only in specific spots I want to catch depth.  I've watched so many videos where they slather it on, but it just doesn't work for me.  I think it and use it sparingly - MUCH BETTER!  Win.

2.  Using Glaze Medium in my wash mix to thin and help spread it - FAIL.  Time it took to actually dry was hours rather than minutes.  Sticking to flow improver.

3.  Not overcomlicating the small details with multiple colors for a good outcome.  Win.

4.  Using white ink for eyes is still the best leap forward in my painting I've come across in the last few months.  

5.  Used a base coat of Black Green on the fry pan before using oily steel to top it off - Win.  Helped make the color look more believable and needed way less metallic color.  Still interested in finding out how to do NMM...but that's for another day.

 

Pretty happy with this one of the 4 goblins so far.  

20201231_210222.jpg

  • Like 17
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think using the gw Drakenshade wash in the recesses helped bring the green forward. The big eyes on these things really help me give them some life.  I'll be working more of these little guys.  We'll see...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By R2ED
      Goblin Menace indeed!  I was doing fine with the other group of goblins I did 2 weeks ago, but these little green bast...guys were not as fun.  
       
      Wins:
      * Found an EXCELLENT new paintbrush - Master's Touch from Hobby Lobby.  Dang! I've been missing this level of spring in the bristles and fine edge with them.  Love it. 
      * Tried diluting steel color with black ink to help with application.  Worked great!  Will do again.
      * Switched the Sta-Wet Palette paper that came with it to just simple parchment paper.  I don't know who uses the actual paper in the Sta-Wet Palette, but that stuff is terrible!  
      * Still using as much breast cancer awareness color pink (got like 4 bottles...need to use!)
      * dry brushing the hair came out much better this time.  Lighter touch and more layers - worked better.
       
      Misses:
      * Eyes this time were more difficult.  Tried doing those chibi eyes, but it wasn't as expressive this time.  
      * Tried a base color of off-white in the eye - also didn't seem to give as much character to them.
      * Washed with Agrax Earthshade around the major bends and muscles.  Didn't seem to work as well this time.  I think it's time to try that black lining on the next goblin and see if Iike that instead.
      * using the new brushes have a bit of a learning curve to them.  Much more springy and reduced my need for pressure, however this caused some interesting streaks when I didn't mean to.  
      * I did it again! I tried using my finger to dab off an excess streak and ended up taking off some of the baselayer AND primer.  With that being the second time it's happened - the best way I can describe what I did was the scene in Top Gun where the flight tower Captain gets a second fly-by.  
       
      Overall the color of Goblin skin still works great, but basecoat of VCG Flat Green may not have been best.  May just add black to Goblin Skin and then lighten it up as I go next time.  
       
      Attempted different primers on them:
      Girl with spear - primed in black with Vallejo Black spray primer
      Chainmail goblin - primed in Vallejo Leather Brown spray primer (didn't like that as much...)
      Stone chuckers - both of them were done in paint-on Vallejo grey primer.  (worked best)
       
      Overall, they aren't bad, but they aren't my best.  Once I base them I'll feel better.  Might even go back after a few days to touch them up to see if I can straighten out the things I missed.
       
      As always - open to feedback.  Thanks for the tips on the Metallics thread.  I put it to use, but still learning.
       
       
       




  • Who's Online   11 Members, 2 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...