I was recently hired by a private client to sculpt his wife's cat.  It is a really cute kitty with curly fur (I didn't even know cats COULD have curly fur).

image.png.26e2232f321f5e1c89ff43016afdf0c5.png

(Love those whiskers!)

I am starting with the ZBrush cat armature that I modified for my purposes and posed in the z and y planes.

image.png.bdbcbdd334995507df0e06f5e6c8d91d.png

Andy

• Like 15

Next step, I skinned it and then used the clay brush to adjust the model and bulk out all the main fur areas.

image.png.2f3dc5fbc49ceb4f76723d5db71bc66f.png

I'll start the head next, but for now I have errands to run.

Andy

• Like 12

I lengthened the face to match my reference photos and spent considerable time fluffing it out.  Then I used the Orb Crack brush to pull out ridges of fur.  This cat has fur unlike anything i have had to sculpt before, so i am having to think about it and approach it in a way different to how I normally do it. Next I will start the laborious and rather tedious process of detailing out the fur.

image.png.ed9df023afe879053525c03979730f5d.png

• Like 14

I'm working on the fur and thought I would take a shot of an interesting step.  First, I am pulling out little bumps along the ridges.  Then I draw squiggles for the hair.  Finally, I add under cuts at each layer. Later, I will probably use the move brush to pull out tufts and make things a bit less even.

image.png.8f46abb0e81838718fd84beb50d9221f.png

• Like 12
20 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I lengthened the face to match my reference photos and spent considerable time fluffing it out.  Then I used the Orb Crack brush to pull out ridges of fur.  This cat has fur unlike anything i have had to sculpt before, so i am having to think about it and approach it in a way different to how I normally do it. Next I will start the laborious and rather tedious process of detailing out the fur.

image.png.ed9df023afe879053525c03979730f5d.png

If I may offer suggestions, the nose is a little too pert.  Cats have a slope from between the eyes down to the nose.  And the muzzle is still a bit too rounded.  A cat's head is more of a wedge shape. The nose is good, but it could be flatter on the bridge, and the mouth is more dog shape than cat. A cat's mouth would not droop on the sides, it would have a more horizontal line.  Just my observations.  I know you are in the early stages and have lots more work to do, and since you like to work from real life examples you'll have plenty of pictures of cats to guide you. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@Inarah has some good observations, can you get a profile picture of the kitty? They can be really variable - one of our cats has a little short muzzle, whilst his brother has a long, almost Roman nose.

Ths kitty question is absolutely adorable and looks like they might have a little bit of Selkirk Rex in their ancestry. They have a distinctive "wooly" coat which might have given said kitty such a fine amount of floof

13687527273_932b6071bb_z.jpg.c0672bbb4f0a9271884b7d774e9e4508.jpg801443373_OIP(98).jpeg.3d29db82e4247febb369aa7d8981bdc3.jpegTHE-SELKIRK-REX-CAT-23.thumb.jpg.0226491aebf03cd8a01c6e9b9671c155.jpg

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Inarah and @Kuroneko.  I am still trying to work out the face structure.  This is a rather odd looking cat and it is black so it is hard to see the details in photos. He has a bit of a dog like droop in the mouth that I am trying to capture.  This is why it is easy sculpting a cat or dog, but extremely hard to sculpt a particular cat or dog, especially from photos.  It also has a very furry face, so that makes it harder to see the details of the underlying structure.  I'll share a few more reference photos with you tonight and you can see what I mean.

• Like 4
  • 5 weeks later...

Wow, I have missed a few updates.  I sent a photo of the near finished sculpt to the client.  He wanted whiskers added.  I have my reservations on their printability, but they are a key feature of the kitty, so I did them.  I made them a bit thicker than real whiskers and interlaced them for support.

Anyway, here is the nearly done kitty.  I'm just waiting to hear what kind of base the client wants (I'm hoping for a cardboard box; good kitties need a box to sit in).

image.thumb.png.702b722d0e0a2f8b838a6d4f4035b301.pngimage.png.86c447ed563335082f16ad33535fa9cc.png

• Like 11

Awesome! This is a change to regular mini's, sculpting someone's pet. I was going to suggest to ask for a picture when the cat has been given a bath, so you can see the underlying structure better :p but you've passed that phase already.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1