Any advice on painting a rainbow oil slick?

What I'm going for is a glistening, rainbow refraction, like oil on water. Most of the advice I've seen around the internet has not been particularly helpful. My hope is to achieve this effect on the giant central orb of Reaper's Shoggoth mini (SKU: 77115). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

I was going to suggest experimenting with Color Shift as well.  For my "Carnivorous Pudding"  I drybrushed Folk Art "Black Flash" Color Shift, and Folk Art "Purple Flash" Color Shift over a black wash.  Not quite the full rainbow effect, but there is a bit of that multicolor sheen to it. 

http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2019/06/carnivorous-pudding-and-acidic-ooze.html

fullsizeoutput_4b99.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4b9b.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Greenstuffworld has a "holographic paint". It seems to be alcohol based, though, and they write that it's only suitable for air brush. I haven't tried it myself, but maybe that's what you looking for?

• Thanks 1

Look up midwinter minis on youtube, he has one where he paints an eldar battleforce really quick. He uses some cheap nail make up flakey product that he crushes and paints on to get a striking oily sheen like effect. That might be a good solution for your shoggoth eye

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Maledrakh said:

Look up midwinter minis on youtube, he has one where he paints an eldar battleforce really quick. He uses some cheap nail make up flakey product that he crushes and paints on to get a striking oily sheen like effect. That might be a good solution for your shoggoth eye

Along those lines, you might use a product from Black Gold (aka House of Kolor)

https://www.houseofkolor.com/products/kolors/

Black Gold is the hobby arm of HoK. When I was airbrushing HoK for my model cars, they were excellent paints to work with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1