Sign in to follow this  
MoonglowMinis

Fly Demon (77259)

Hi everyone.  Got a couple more demons for you today.  This is a pair of Bones Fly Demons for use as Chasme in D&D.  These guys could also serve double duty as Giant Flies for Rangers of Shadow Deep.

136677648_103092211664397_4413130666282110641_n.thumb.jpg.317d95f824e897029f677eefb94140f5.jpg

More Below the Spoiler:

Spoiler

I decided to paint each of the flies up slightly differently.  One with a warmer scheme and one with a cooler scheme.  The first one I painted up was the warmer variant with a grey and brown scheme.

136099165_759488618107609_6044364213023617615_n.thumb.jpg.7802098899c381f33eae9bcb369a34f9.jpg

135827874_408104457077244_108360431776637548_n.thumb.jpg.4e4c30298cbbe1b75983f8aaba72c596.jpg

The second fly demon got painted up with a blue and grey scheme.

135743095_836193386937489_1225480290044867517_n.thumb.jpg.3ab8069222603b131a2e48280a2bb670.jpg

135763322_939775186553350_1129211319088329736_n.thumb.jpg.295610716d05fd59116a4664082cd44a.jpg

They were pretty simple paint jobs and were started and completed in one evening.  Took a couple tries to find a technique I liked for the wings, but ended up settling on the speckled dot pattern.  My only complaint about these guys is that their bases are too unique making them look weirdly uniform when next to one another.  I probably could have done more work while basing to disguise this, but that was more work than I was willing for such simple minis.

Feel free to check out more of my demons and devils in my Blood War project HERE.

If anyone has any leads on other interesting giant fly minis please share them, as I've been finding it difficult to find good models for RoSD.

Also, how do you paint insect wings?  They're such a unique feature in the animal kingdom and I'd love to see how you go about it?

• Like 21

Your solution for the wings is quite good!

I have some insect minis waiting to be painted but they are quite far down the queue. I thought about trying either a metallic white or pure metallic medium and then a few light glazes in blue, green and/or violet. But as of now I still have to paint my first insect wing...

• Like 2

Whoa, I really like how those wings turned out! The blue one in particular really caught my attention. Personally, I don't think the bases are that similar - I didn't even realize they were the same at first, until you mentioned it. I kinda get the vibe they're in the same cave and that's why they're like that.

Though if you wanted to spice things up - what about detaching one of the insects from the stem and remounting it in reverse? So the base is facing the other way or at an angle - they'll still have the same base, but the symmetry will be off and that might help break it up a bit more. That being said, you made them distinctive enough that I wouldn't worry about it. They look like too different sculpts just from the paint job you did, honestly.

Re: bugs - a while back I saw a Kickstarter for a small company out of the UK - appears to be one dude that does all his own work and resin casting - who makes some really unique and old-school-ish monsters. Company's called Whitehorn / Krakon Games, and the guy's "Krakon" on Kickstarter (runs small ones pretty frequently). I think the last one was forest-themed and there were some insect monsters in there that looked pretty neat. Might be worth looking into? I had a look into them and the company seems legit - good reviews - though I haven't ordered from them before so I can't say anything about quality.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KruleBear said:

Dang, I think your wings look great. 

6 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Great job on the wings!

22 minutes ago, Samedi said:

Your solution for the wings is quite good!

I have some insect minis waiting to be painted but they are quite far down the queue. I thought about trying either a metallic white or pure metallic medium and then a few light glazes in blue, green and/or violet. But as of now I still have to paint my first insect wing...

1 minute ago, PhantomAsh said:

Whoa, I really like how those wings turned out! The blue one in particular really caught my attention. Personally, I don't think the bases are that similar - I didn't even realize they were the same at first, until you mentioned it. I kinda get the vibe they're in the same cave and that's why they're like that.

Though if you wanted to spice things up - what about detaching one of the insects from the stem and remounting it in reverse? So the base is facing the other way or at an angle - they'll still have the same base, but the symmetry will be off and that might help break it up a bit more. That being said, you made them distinctive enough that I wouldn't worry about it. They look like too different sculpts just from the paint job you did, honestly.

Re: bugs - a while back I saw a Kickstarter for a small company out of the UK - appears to be one dude that does all his own work and resin casting - who makes some really unique and old-school-ish monsters. Company's called Whitehorn / Krakon Games, and the guy's "Krakon" on Kickstarter (runs small ones pretty frequently). I think the last one was forest-themed and there were some insect monsters in there that looked pretty neat. Might be worth looking into? I had a look into them and the company seems legit - good reviews - though I haven't ordered from them before so I can't say anything about quality.

Thanks all!  Glad people are enjoying the wings.  I think I painted the whole wing a mid-tone color.  Then added a bunch of dots with a brighter shade that was fairly thin (not enough to run but enough to be translucent - glaze medium might work better but I have yet to get any).  Then I went back with another brighter shade, more opaque and tried not to entirely cover the previous layers.  Then finally went back with a darker shade and traced out the lines on the wings, being mindful to catch the inner edges.  Tedious but worth it.

@Samedi whenever you get around to yours, make sure you post them!  I'm curious to see how that method works out!

@PhantomAsh Those look pretty cool.  I like how much character those sculpts have, unfortunately they don't seem to have what I'm looking for.  Plus I'm looking for that sweet spot between price, quantity, and quality.  I might have some luck on etsy with 3D printed options.

• Like 5

I think the stippling on the wings turned out fine. It particularly suits a mini of that size. I've just grabbed a couple of bottles of colour shift paint that I'm going to try on my next set of insect wings.

• Like 1

Another vote for the wonderful wings! And the overall coloring is spot on - enough color for interest without losing the dingy fly like mood

• Like 1