Jumped in head first....

I've thought about getting a resin 3D printer for a while, but finances the way that they were it just wasn't something I wanted to spend money on. Here before Christmas, though, I decided I was going to list some football cards I thought I would get decent money for on eBay and see if I couldn't free up some spending money that didn't affect my budget. They were Davante Adams rookie year cards (Packers WR) and were in a set that has a high demand. Since COVID hit, the sports card market has skyrocketed, and I figured I'd be able to hopefully get about 1000 bucks for the 22 cards that I had, which I figured I would use towards new headlights for my truck that I need. Boy did I underestimate the demand on those! Ended up pulling in almost 3800 for them before eBay fees and shipping costs! I was flabbergasted! Anyhow, so not only am I going to be able to get the headlights for my truck, I paid for new brakes for it (they're not quite bad enough to be replaced, but getting close), a new ceramic water bowl fountain for the cat (old fountain is getting long in tooth), some new Dewalt 20V power tools (old Ryobi stuff needed replaced), stuff for my college courses, and I decided I would get a 3D printer for something fun! All that and I'll still have about 500 bucks left to play with!  Anyhow, I got the Anycubic Photon Mono printer and their wash and cure station, and a 1 kg of clear resin. Amazon had a 40 dollar off coupon for the printer. Should be here on Thursday! I already have a list of things to print with it, and have even decided that I am going to find an online tutorial for 3D sculpting that I'll sit down and do with my 5 year old, and we'll get her sculpting her own minis to paint :) She's already told me that she would love to do that, I just need to find some stuff to teach us.

Sorry for the novel LOL Just really excited to be able to say I got something (besides just minis) fun to play with which didn't kill my budget or my credit card balance to get!!

• Like 11

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I started selling some figures that I know I won't paint to try to earn some extra money to buy a new laptop and 3d printer.  I'm not going to make $3800 but so far I'm up to about $200 so I think I can make enough to make a dent in the cost but probably not enough to cover it all.

I do have a bunch of old baseball cards (from the late 80's-90's) but last I checked those didn't gain much in value.  Maybe I'll go back and check just to be sure.

Edited by NecroMancer
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

Yeah I started selling some figures that I know I won't paint to try to earn some extra money to buy a new laptop and 3d printer.  I'm not going to make $3800 but so far I'm up to about $200 so I think I can make enough to make a dent in the cost but probably not enough to cover it all.

I do have a bunch of old baseball cards (from the late 80's-90's) but last I checked those didn't gain much in value.  Maybe I'll go back and check just to be sure.

Yeah, the values of cards depends on the player and the rarity. A lot of the stuff I sold was very low numbered and hard to come by, and Adams is a high profile player this year (with the records he broke for the team). Still, I can't believe it sold for so much, so I'm still in shock. Turned out to be a perfect storm of timing for it: COVID stimulus, Adams doing fantastic, Packers getting first seed in the playoffs, the COVID price surge, and people getting money for the holidays. Heck, I even accepted a promo for selling when listing them without paying attention to what it was, and it limited the final selling fee for 10 auctions to 1 dollar, and those ended up being the most expensive of all the cards LOL Only pad 119 dollars in eBay final price fees for 3800 in sales! Seems that eBay chose poorly when giving me that promo :lol:

I think the printer, wash station, and the resin came to about 460 total, which isn't too terrible. Did a bunch of research and had long discussions with a friend of mine who also wants to get into it, and that combo of the Anycubic stuff seemed to be the best combination of value and quality of prints. I'll definitely have to post stuff as I get it printed. I have a number of things I HAVE to print and paint! LOL

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bojesphob said:

Yeah, the values of cards depends on the player and the rarity. A lot of the stuff I sold was very low numbered and hard to come by, and Adams is a high profile player this year (with the records he broke for the team). Still, I can't believe it sold for so much, so I'm still in shock. Turned out to be a perfect storm of timing for it: COVID stimulus, Adams doing fantastic, Packers getting first seed in the playoffs, the COVID price surge, and people getting money for the holidays. Heck, I even accepted a promo for selling when listing them without paying attention to what it was, and it limited the final selling fee for 10 auctions to 1 dollar, and those ended up being the most expensive of all the cards LOL Only pad 119 dollars in eBay final price fees for 3800 in sales! Seems that eBay chose poorly when giving me that promo :lol:

I think the printer, wash station, and the resin came to about 460 total, which isn't too terrible. Did a bunch of research and had long discussions with a friend of mine who also wants to get into it, and that combo of the Anycubic stuff seemed to be the best combination of value and quality of prints. I'll definitely have to post stuff as I get it printed. I have a number of things I HAVE to print and paint! LOL

Congrats on the sale of the cards. Yah, sometimes Ebay surprises you. Things you think will sell, just sit there while other things just blow up:) I know when I sold my Earthbound super nintendo game (which was all original and pretty prisitne), it had a nice bidding war and I was able to finance a Christmas trip with just the sale off that one item:)

I actually just purchased a Elegoo Mars 2 Pro and the mercury wash and cure station from aliexpress (hopefully get here before the garage is clean haha) so I am super excited to get in on the printing. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Congrats on the sale of the cards. Yah, sometimes Ebay surprises you. Things you think will sell, just sit there while other things just blow up:) I know when I sold my Earthbound super nintendo game (which was all original and pretty prisitne), it had a nice bidding war and I was able to finance a Christmas trip with just the sale off that one item:)

I actually just purchased a Elegoo Mars 2 Pro and the mercury wash and cure station from aliexpress (hopefully get here before the garage is clean haha) so I am super excited to get in on the printing. 

You'll have to let me know how the Mars 2 Pro is. I thought about getting that one,  but Amazon and other US sellers didn't have it in stock. I've never owned a 3D printer, and from what I've read the Anycubic is nearly as good as Elegoo (with some minor cons in comparison to it) and I don't know enough about it to really care about marginal increases in speed or resolution... anything will be better than what I have right now LOL I also liked that the tray for the Mono can be used to wash and cure in their wash station.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NecroMancer said:

@Ratmaster2000 you'll have to let me know how the AliExpress works.  It seems legit as Elegoo has their own store on there but I have always been a bit skeptical of AliExpress.  Plus they offer free shipping.

I personally try not to go directly to China. I know there's not much that you can get that doesn't touch their production facilities in some way shape or form, but at least going with Amazon I could get mine and pay someone at the Amazon shipping centers instead of someone in China. That and I only have to wait until Thursday to get mine LOL My wife has Prime, so just ordered through her account.

• Like 1

Yeah I was hesitant with it but it works differently than I thought.  Apparently you can select what country you want the item shipped from and Elegoo offers free shipping and it is shipped from the US.  It is also about $70 cheaper on Ali than Amazon which almost cover the cost of the curing station.

I also have Prime and I have seen they sometimes have Elegoos on sale so depending on how things work out for Ratmaster I may just see which is the better deal once I am ready to buy

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

@Ratmaster2000 you'll have to let me know how the AliExpress works.  It seems legit as Elegoo has their own store on there but I have always been a bit skeptical of AliExpress.  Plus they offer free shipping.

I have ordered (I think) from them once before and it went well. Seeing as it was directly from elegoo, and hopefully they are shipping from USA, I took a chance. I know Retro Ralph over in the arcade1up community has ordered regularly from them and has had no issues with them.

10 minutes ago, bojesphob said:

I personally try not to go directly to China. I know there's not much that you can get that doesn't touch their production facilities in some way shape or form, but at least going with Amazon I could get mine and pay someone at the Amazon shipping centers instead of someone in China. That and I only have to wait until Thursday to get mine LOL My wife has Prime, so just ordered through her account.

I was not in a big hurry, as part of me getting the printer and station was I have to do a honey do and get the garage clean (that's where it's all going). I have ordered quite a bit from overseas (both China and other asian locations as well as Europe) and have never had any major issues (and the ones I did, got resolved)

1 minute ago, NecroMancer said:

Yeah I was hesitant with it but it works differently than I thought.  Apparently you can select what country you want the item shipped from and Elegoo offers free shipping and it is shipped from the US.  It is also about $70 cheaper on Ali than Amazon which almost cover the cost of the curing station.

I also have Prime and I have seen they sometimes have Elegoos on sale so depending on how things work out for Ratmaster I may just see which is the better deal once I am ready to buy

I am hoping that is the case, and it comes from some aliexpress US warehouse. Elegoo is a Chinese company, so I do not see a big issue getting it through aliexpress Price was definitely a factor, as they had a sale on it on top of $18 coupons AND $3 off for using paypal:) Plus, paypal, any issues they will resolve it! Both out the door (By the way, they DO charge taxes, so not sure if that gives them more legitimacy or not?) was around $384.

I will definitely let everyone know how it goes. Super excited to start printing some of the stuff I have been acquiring. I also *MAY* acquire a used mars printer just because :)

• Like 4

@bojesphob congrats on the sale and the acquisition of a printer!

Have fun and don't forget to watch youtube videos about supports/settings/cleaning and such.

3Dprintingpro is a good one but there are more.

I learned a lot from watching those before tinkering with it.

Edited by Glitterwolf

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

@bojesphob congrats on the sale and the acquisition of a printer!

Have fun and don't forget to watch youtube videos about supports/settings/cleaning and such.

3Dprintingpro is a good one but there are more.

I learned a lot from watching those before tinkering with it.

Thanks for the tips!! Been doing a bunch of research before I finalized the purchase, and I feel pretty confident in my choice, and I am looking forward to a new challenge :) Not like work, taking classes for another degree, raising a 5 year old, working on house projects, and still trying to paint everything wasn't enough challenge, right? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just 1Kg of resin?   

That won't last long when you start printing. You may just as well order another bottle the moment the printer arrives. 

One thing you can design pretty quickly is knobs for cabinet doors. 

Clear resin and a brass screw should look nice. 

And there's the 'look, it's useful' aspect, too.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

Just 1Kg of resin?   

That won't last long when you start printing. You may just as well order another bottle the moment the printer arrives. 

One thing you can design pretty quickly is knobs for cabinet doors. 

Clear resin and a brass screw should look nice. 

And there's the 'look, it's useful' aspect, too.

Well. gotta start somewhere LOL Yeah, I'll probably end up getting more. As to what to design, I have actually been working on sculpting some tokens to print that are for the Marvel United game from CMON. The cardboard ones just don't seem like they will be super durable. I have the first one figured out for the main token, but have to put the design on the top and bottom for it, and that will be the challenging part. Of course, I'm using AutoCAD for it, since making proper angles for corners doesn't seem to be super easy in Blender and Mudbox.

• Like 1

WOW! OnTrac just came to the door and dropped off this huge package of two boxes taped together::o: I think it came from Chino,CA??? I was not expecting it to come in so quickly. Definitely have to get the garage going now:rolleyes: Weird though, I am hoping they just use the same packing boxes and just put a sticker on for US. on one side it says EU, but on the opposite side, they both have US strickers. Maybe I'll make a quick unboxing just showing them and verifying power:) They actually got here before the used Mars from Texas!

• Like 1