Car Wars fans..

Spartan6

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was HUGE into Car Wars. I built arena's, ran leagues, kitbashed Hot Wheels, wrote tons of campaign stuff etc...etc....the whole nine yards. I still have most of it. Super simple game to play. Some of my fondest gaming memories revolve around Car Wars.

A while back I was a MIB for SJ Games and was going to demo Car Wars etc. like I used to, only officially. They rudely informed me that one of the two games that made that company was no longer a core product and they wouldn't support my efforts.

I tried to make the best of it and get on board with their demo program, but everyone I encountered with the exception of Scott Haring was arrogant and rude. You can imagine how pleasantly surprised I was to discover Reaper and the BL's.

Yeah unfortunatlythe groups I played with as a 'youngin' was based on a group that was biased against anything that wasn't Marvel Super Heroes or DnD...

As much as I tried to get them into Gurps, Car Wars, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, etc...etc...

There were so many cool game ideas out there that I couln't play because there was no one to play with...*sigh*

Now with the online community there are more options...but, now I have to ration my time between all my hobbies.

Laugh....i just got two armies of Warlod guys in that I have to sand, assemble and paint....and work, and keep working on the 454SS, and play poker, and geekfest, and on and on and on...

How come as I get older my hobbies get more expensive?

A while back I was a MIB for SJ Games and was going to demo Car Wars etc. like I used to, only officially. They rudely informed me that one of the two games that made that company was no longer a core product and they wouldn't support my efforts....

...I tried to make the best of it and get on board with their demo program, but everyone I encountered with the exception of Scott Haring was arrogant and rude. You can imagine how pleasantly surprised I was to discover Reaper and the BL's.

Yah, I was a fan of Car Wars too. My two favorite things were "Hammer Downs" and "Vlad, the Impala" ::P: I drifted off into other games and didn't go back...especially after realizng what Steve Jackson and his crew was like (GURPS stands for the Generic Underhanded Roleplaying Pilfering System).

Here's a bit of nostalgia though... he didn't work for SJG proper, but he wrote many of the Car Wars suppliments (Aeroduel, Tanks, and a few others)... I bet you know Craig Sheely :rolleyes: If you're having trouble placing him here's a hint. Stand next to a table with a Car Wars game running (or any game for that matter), get red in the face and scream "G*DDAMMIT!!!

I've known him for years. He lives locally down here in SW Missouri. He's much better than during the Car Wars days ( I think SJ was pushing his buttons too), but he's always been rather..... exciteable. At Cons we usually have a "When will Craig have his anurism" running bet :P

he's a quasi legend in the game publishing community for his tantrums. The guys at Battletech even made a miniature of him. I painted him up blonde to match even before I knew that it was based off Craig.

Craig.jpg

I was at Archon once playing in a game and a friend wanted me to show the figure to some guys. They were going "Well...it looks kind of familiar, but I'm not sure I know who you're talking about.." Another guy there said "Here this'll help", balled up his fists, jumped up and down yelling "G*ddammit!". The guys looked at the figure with a literal expression of wide-eyed, astonished revelation and exclaimed "It IS him!" :lol:

I still remember the name of my favorite character from Car Wars: Meredith Jazz.

She was so successful she eventually had a line of cars that were based off of her designs (in my RP world of extended, networked game groups).

The top of the line that still had a cash limit (just short of the "Unlimited class" cars which were always so customized by each driver that there was no point in having a standard model) was the Jazz Cyber. What a sweet car. Vulcan gun in a turret, two more vulcans front and one to the back. It could hit you from anywhere, but if you got in front or behind the car - watch out! It was a "cyber" cause it had a cybernetic targeting system. Mixed metal armor & plastic to reduce the wear & tear on the plastic armor. I won tournament after tournament with that car using the spoilers & airdams to reduce the difficulty of making turns, then going as fast as I could and still not have to make a driving roll around the turn. Other people would have to slow down every once in a while, & I'd get my car facing them & BLAM. 3 vulcs right down their throat. It wasn't the most risk-free maneuver, but I could take potshots with the turret any time to soften them up and as often as not got them to follow me for a bit - taking 2 vulc fire the whole time...then get them to crash trying to follow me at high speed around a turn.

By the time I set them up for the most massive attack I could muster (which they had been desperately avoiding most of the game), the risk of them being able to hit me back as hard as I hit them was purty low.

I never figured out why no one tried to copy my tactics. It was a mystery.

okay, enough slogging down memory lane. gotta do some work!

cd.