My first figure 2021. I started painting about 2 years and took a year+ off from it. I decided to get back into and got some new paints and brushes for Xmas. Still working on my technique and would like to hear your opinion.

IMG_20210109_201717135.jpg

IMG_20210109_201614446.jpg

Edited by thefub
  • Like 21
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Welcome to the Forum!

Nice mini!

What are are you struggling with?

Thank you.

I have trouble with washing and dry brushing. My washes don't seem to do anything but make things dirty and my dry brushing does not make things pop out.

I have had decent results with layering but I am not very patient sometimes, lol. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, thefub said:

Thank you.

I have trouble with washing and dry brushing. My washes don't seem to do anything but make things dirty and my dry brushing does not make things pop out.

I have had decent results with layering but I am not very patient sometimes, lol. 

Ok.

Drybrushing.

It won't work on a flat surface.

You need a mini with raised details like fur, feathers, studded armor etc.

For example base colour is black, drybrush light grey .

So take that brush dip it into the paitn and then wipe almost all off on a paper towel.

Now test it on the towel and it should only show a little paint.

Then go over the raised surface, it should only bring out the raised surface and that will look good.

If you've touched too much, just take a small brush and repaint the base colour.

Washes.

Stir well.

They will creep into the nooks and crannies and yes over the whole model.

After using the wash, let dry.

Now repaint the mini with the base colour but leave the wash in the nooks and crannies to create a shadow.

You could of course not use washes, just create shadows and highlights with paint.

Hope this helps a little.

• Like 2

Another piece of advice I can give on washes; if you put in too much, you can dry off the wash brush and then use it to suck up the excess wash. I use a size 1 pointy brush with longer hairs so I have more control over it.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Inarah
      From the Kid Heroes set:  

• By Inarah
      I have to confess when I pulled this guy out of the core set I thought it was a goblin. In particular, it reminded me of a certain space goblin that backwards talks in riddles he does, mmmn.   So he's green.  

• By R2ED
      Finally got back on to some painting.  It was a minor win, but just basing this dude feels good to be done.  One cool thing i thought was fun is that i put a footprint in the mud under his left foot.  Kind of a small, but cool detail. 

Done. 
    • By R2ED
      Got another one down for the weekend. 

This time paying special attention to the face and eyes.  @Inarahmentioned to me to lighten things up a little.  So, I took her advice.  I think it turned out for the best!

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      *  Taking way more time around the face this time and really putting a lot of work into leveling up the color step by step with really thin paint worked well.  VMC Burnt Red and VMC Flat Flesh was a good blend together.  I think in the face, I could have added a bit more fare skin, but hey, he's a barbarian.  He's not going for a "best skin" award, he's going for best raging out award.
      *  The bone, leather, fur was a really fun combination to work on. I kept things pretty simple and the variation between all of them were pretty complementary.  
      *  Again using the zenithal highlight really helped features stand out and give me a good starting point. 
      *  Stages: Skin, then leather elements, then accessories, then weapons.  The working method inside to out went great.  
      *  I really like the way the scabbard came out, but I kind of thing it was supposed to be straight up and down and not off to the side, but I hate when it's up and down because it'd be impossible to get the sword out of.  However, the downside is the scabbard has NO detail behind it and it's jutting out, which Ididn't think about when I glued it in place.  Wah wah.
      *  Free hand on the handle.  I added the little black/brown element on the sword handle.  I am pretty happy with that.  I think it's a nice slight add.

Misses:
      *  Loin cloth was a deep red I was trying to lighten up.  I used a light grey, didn't work.  Then I tried white - pink?  Do you think a barbarian is going to wear pink?  "I reckon' you get your broccoli kicked for wearing something like that."  In thinking about it I could have pushed it to orange for the highlight.  Doh!
      *  Eyes - I did them better this time, to @Inarah's point, but I didn't have enough room to get much else in there.  I was also at a points where I knew if I tried to fix it, it was only going to get worse, so I called it where it was.  Meh.
      *  Sword - just a basic steel.  I tried to use a black wash on the bottom side of the blade to give it shading, but you really can't see it on the photo.  It's nothing special, and again, I wish it was more...anything.  It's pretty basic.

I'm reallllly looking forward to putting a base on this one. Needs to be something epic, so this will be a special one.  I'm very, very happy with how this turned out and feel it's a good spot to stop for the weekend.  Yay!

As always - open to feedback and would love your thoughts.

• By Conan the Painter
      I wanted Conan.  and this looked pretty much exactly like him.  I painted him up a month or two ago, and since I already posted my wizard today I decided to post Dantrag (Conan) today as well.  Again, any tips or advice on painting or photographing will be gratefully accepted.  

• Who's Online   18 Members, 2 Anonymous, 28 Guests (See full list)