Sign in to follow this  
Erion

d20 Future

Due to a lack of planning on my part, I will not be picking up the rules until later today.

I was sold almost as soon as I looked in the table of contents and saw all the PC races from Star Frontiers and Alternity: StarDrive listed as Heroic Races in the aliens section, and the fact that they're using Action Points, Vitality Points and Progress levels for Technology just like Alternity did sealed the deal. There are at least a dozen, maybe 18 new advanced classes included in the book as well.

As with most D20 Modern products, I'm slightly dispapointed in the interior artwork as compared to the production values for D&D or Eberron, but I also understand that the d20 Modern series of titles is no where near the moneymaker for WotC that D&D has been.

Other points I really want to dig into are the mutation system, and the design-an-alien tables included near the end of the book.

I'll post a more thorough review after I get a chance to digest the book a bit more this evening.

I'm going to have to get some green stuff soon and start sculpting me some Mechalus and Vrusk to have miniatures for this game. ::D:

Definitely. I especially would like to heat opinions on convertability of regular D&D to these rules. I have a Fading Suns D20 campaign; if these rules live up to the expectation I'll dump D&D for these...

Damon.

I'm all over d20 future. Now I just have to convince my players that sci-fi RPG's can be fun even when they're not Star Wars.

A gritty, Hammer's Slammers style, space mercenary campaign is right up my alley. Read the news from the middle east and bingo...instant campaign.

Definitely. I especially would like to heat opinions on convertability of regular D&D to these rules. I have a Fading Suns D20 campaign; if these rules live up to the expectation I'll dump D&D for these...

Damon.

Check out Urban Arcana and theMenace Manual. Both of them have dozens of D&D concepts already converted to the d20 modern style of things. I can't comment on their quality, as don't own either of them, but they may be coming soon.

D20 Modern already has a bunch of spells and the like included, if you want to see how they handled it.

I forgot to ask. Is d20 Future a supplement for d20 Modern, or is it complete in itself? I have d20 Modern so that's not a problem for me, but others might want to pick Future up without knowing they need Modern too.

I forgot to ask. Is d20 Future a supplement for d20 Modern, or is it complete in itself? I have d20 Modern so that's not a problem for me, but others might want to pick Future up without knowing they need Modern too.

According to the D20 Future book, you need to have D20 Modern. D20 future does not have Comabt rules, Feats, Skills (Except for new ones) and Core Classes (Except, again, for new ones)

It is more of a supplement.

I must have it. One of my players in my D&D game got it, and I borrowed it for the first 2 Dyas (Hey, I;m the GM!)

Answering my own question. Looks like it's a supplement for d20 Modern. So if you don't have that yet, you're looking at a hefty investment. They should have made it self contained.

Editted to add: Bryan beat me to it. Thanks.

Check out Urban Arcana and theMenace Manual. Both of them have dozens of D&D concepts already converted to the d20 modern style of things. I can't comment on their quality, as don't own either of them, but they may be coming soon.

D20 Modern already has a bunch of spells and the like included, if you want to see how they handled it.

No no no...Fading Suns is an SF RPG using the D&D D20 rules. I would want to convert it to D20 Future to GET RID of the fantasy elements!

I think the only problem area would be how classes are handled...but it may not be much of a problem..

Damon.

Check out Urban Arcana and theMenace Manual.  Both of them have dozens of D&D concepts already converted to the d20 modern style of things.  I can't comment on their quality, as don't own either of them, but they may be coming soon.

D20 Modern already has a bunch of spells and the like included,  if you want to see how they handled it.

No no no...Fading Suns is an SF RPG using the D&D D20 rules. I would want to convert it to D20 Future to GET RID of the fantasy elements!

I think the only problem area would be how classes are handled...but it may not be much of a problem..

Damon.

You must not have d20 Modern yet. See my post above. If you want d20 future, you'll have to buy that too.

The classes are nifty. 6 classes based on the 6 attributes. So you have Strong, Fast, Tough, Smart, Dedicated, and Charismatic heroes. Advanced classes (just like prestige classes, but easier to get in to) are available by 4th level. Just make advanced classes crafted to your campaign (and d20 future will probably take care of that) and you're set. My current Deadlands game is actually d20 Modern with advanced classes I made myself.

I don enjoy the rather unique way d20 Modern/Future handles character classes.

And Star Frontiers was my first RPG as well stuart, in the summer of 1986, I think.

There is apparently a mini-campaign in d20 Future Called "Star Law." ::D:

And Star Frontiers was my first RPG as well stuart, in the summer of 1986, I think.

There is apparently a mini-campaign in d20 Future Called "Star Law." ::D:

Star Law is a thinly veiled Trek game. It uses wildly different ship art, but you can tell if you read it that it is Trek.

There is apparently a mini-campaign in d20 Future Called "Star Law."  ::D:

Star Law is a thinly veiled Trek game. It uses wildly different ship art, but you can tell if you read it that it is Trek.

Actually, Star Law was the name of the interstellar peacekeeping force in the old Star Frontiers game. Your PC in the starter adventure were all under contract to the agency IIRC.

Are you thinking of ICE's Star Law rules for rolemaster? I've never even picked up that series of books. I couldn't get beyond the wildly uncreative titles.

Anyway, I am seriously breaking out the sculpting armatures, toothpicks and green stuff to craft me some miniatures for this game. Yazirians rule, and sculpting a dralasite should be fairly easy.

I am just starting a d20 modern game. (Urban Arcana type setting) I do plan on getting the d20 Future. Hehehehehehe

"As the portal disapates, you see the street. Unchanged. And then a hover car shoots by."

"A WHAT?"

:devil::devil::devil::devil:

Be advised, ironmani, that you will have to carefully define your future.

d20 Future isn't a campaign setting. It's more akin to a bunch of rules modules that you can plug into d20 modern to play a futuristic game.

That being said, a great deal of the old Alternity/Stardrive stuff I have is going to be getting the d20 modern treatment, so at the very least the background material is all taken care of. :poke: