R2ED

Book Club, but for minis - Reaper Club?

I will join in.  I have B5 with a bunch of addons coming too.  Would be nice to group paint figures and look at the different styles, techniques and color.  

At the moment I am not painting bones. I have a Death May Die game that needs finishing.  :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

Nice little dragons, where are they from? 

The gold one is the black dragon hatchling from Reaper. The others were a 3d KS over a year ago.  My husband made them.  If he can tell me what the name was, I'll share it. 

edit: Monster Families from La Louve 3D

1 hour ago, slimninj4 said:

At the moment I am not painting bones. I have a Death May Die game that needs finishing.  :)

Ooof!  I have that, and that is a lot of minis. I got my copy last year right before covid caused our group to go virtual.  I've opened it, but not going to take it out and play until we can meet again.  How are the minis? Are you using primer or anything on them? 

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 1

Welcome to the team,  @slimninj4!  2 more joining in ahead of our Bones 5 drop is awesome. 

If you want to catch up on this week, please feel free to pick a mini that works for you, any we've already completed, or whatever.  I'll send you the link to add minis to,  also. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

I have that, and that is a lot of minis. I got my copy last year right before covid caused our group to go virtual.  I've opened it, but not going to take it out and play until we can meet again.  How are the minis? Are you using primer or anything on them? 

the figures are very detailed.  I do prime with an airbrush in dark grey then a white on top.  To speed things up I used mostly contrast paint on the monsters.  I ha e only 3 monsters left and parts of the heroes.  March will finish up so I can start to focus on organizing and getting B5 ready.  

• Like 1

In-progress shot of Aeowyn. The green is too bright and the red pants aren't working, but it's the 4th color I've tried and I'm stuck.  I like how her hair has turned out and the leather bits look good.  All the grey spots are going to be silver. 

IMG_20210225_170817504_HDR.jpg.f9223449f4abaa543becf913808eeba0.jpg

• Like 2

Funny that you struggled with this one too, @Inarah.  I had to do a second run on mine, too. I started by making the cape a hero blue and the tunic white.  Wrong!  The colors looked all screwy and i couldn't make it work.  I swapped to reds and browns.  I struggled a couple of times.  It was one i put down for 2 weeks and came back determined to finish.  

Your colors look good.  Push on! 

• Like 1

I should have looked at some pictures before I started.  I found a figure from DarkSword that I am going to use for inspiration. You can see the similarities. 

v_7434_f1_p_1600x.jpg.b4ef2be0e57944c8f305813b386fae1c.jpg

If I go darker on the tunic and belts, and lighter on the legs.....

• Like 1

So, heres what I added to the list.

Maskaar 04011, Aisha Female Warrior 2979, Mocking Beast (chest) 77048, Pyram the pincher (d4) 77646, Queen of Hell 77645, D'Tenian (D10) 77649, Flying Rocky 77919, Sneaky Rocky 77917, Piers Young Mage 2836, Cardolan Ranger 2565, Nonalla Ellinad Elf Wizard 3667, and Kurz Orc Fighter 3003. In case your wondering yes I have the rest of the rocky and high roller set, they've already been painted though.

DSCF7456.JPG

IMG_20210102_014057_206.jpg

20200727_050739.jpg

20201023_024748.jpg

20201114_034332.jpg

DSCF7452.JPG

DSCF7457.JPG

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Ambrousis said:

In case your wondering yes I have the rest of the rocky and high roller set, they've already been painted though.

Blue Rocky has the same expression as one of my cats when she first wakes up. :) 

Aeowyn is done. I still need to touch up her base and take better photos for show off.  I took the green on her cloak down a notch with Ancient Oak, and repainted the legs. 

IMG_20210226_164653509_HDR.jpg.1b95c6cb739fa24d0dc1732d0e92a3ae.jpg

Messed around on the back a little:

IMG_20210226_164712677_HDR.jpg.1643000a3a4408e8d18ff1040a6a128b.jpg

• Like 2

@Inarah  I flagged a line on the spreadsheet with violet.  Mini Name and Number do not agree. And you are the only owner on the list of whichever miniature it is.

( I was scrolling down the list doing a: do I own that? check… )

Edited by TGP

I'm not terribly disappointed with the direction he's taking. I'm going to stop here for tonight, and finish the details on him tomorrow. 

PXL_20210227_060444476_MP.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By R2ED
      Someone say painting weekend?

Got another one in, but sadly it's not one of the Reapers.  I purchased a cool, little Hobbit a few weeks back and the printer sent me this one that was a bad mold, but I ended up making something out of it.  What looks wrong with it you ask?  Well, for one, the details got a little sloppy.  The barrel he's on got halved in printing, his face looks like he's a stroke survivor - his left side of his face is sloped big time. I tried correcting it in the painting, but it's pretty noticiable.  There's some big gaps between the hobbit and the barrel.  Oh well - it made for a good color study.

I stuck to Orange Brown, Chocolate Brown, Light Sand, Yellow, GW Nuln Oil, GW Agrax Earthshade, Stone Grey, Fair Skin, Fair Shadow, Flat Brown.  If it's not clear already - the goal was browns.

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      * I think the shirt in that orange/cream cuffs came out pretty decent.  Went over it with a wash and brought more depth to the lines with brown diluted.  Win.
      *  Face was a mess, but considering how sloped it was, I think it wasn't too bad.
      *  Mug foam isn't terrible.  Isn't great, but first time doing foam.
      *  Barrel colors look dark and separated from the other tones.

Misses:
      * Eyes on this one were such a pain!  Big miss.
      *  Lips look like he's about dead with how much he's drunk.  I couldn't go in to give them a more natural color after a few tries I just gave in because the paint was layering up and was going to distort the look further.
      *  Mug wasn't my favorite.  I got into it a bit, but lost the momentum to finish the rings around the mug.  It also hit me after I was cleaning up that this was a tankard with a top with foam flowing out, not just a foam overflow.  May need to go back to fix that.  Boo.
      *  Hair was better than I have done on some of the others.  I made it with a 3 color setup, but it still looks...washed out.  At least it has depth and better than before, but still hate doing hair.

Without further excuses - here's Pippin sippin' and slippin with his foamy mug drippin.  

Always good for feedback if you've got any to give.

• By R2ED
      It's the weekend and you know what time it is!

Got a terrifying little foursome going here this time.  Attempted a few new things that have been given to me as feedback over the last few weeks, so thought it was a good time to put them to use.

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      * Sticking to a simple color scheme for the skin - trying to only use two tones and building up the colors.  Win - kind of.  More on that to come.
      * Making the chest area stand out from the rest of the skin I thank made for a fun touch.  Layering was done well, but learned a lot in doing it that next time could be easier.
      *  Eyes.  HOLY SMOKES!  I'm so happy with the eyes.  I did a blacked out eye area, filled in the round white, then used a black to dot in the center.  Was a shaking mess doing it?  You bet I was, but the outcome was worth it.  Each of them have eyes I'm very happy with.
      *  2 of them have a burnt umber ink wash 4:1 flow improver to DR Ink.  The wash went on well and settled into the seems, but I think there's still something I'm missing.  Had to go back with another coat and hit just the cracks for deeper color.  The other 2 were done with a diluted MSP Brown Liner.  The Brown Liner was the better of the two to really draw out the shadows, but still something to be desired.  However, both of these methods worked better than a GW wash that usually just dirties them up.
      *  Horns were pretty good prior to the wash I gave them in a transition from dark rust to a bone white.  I thought the ridges needed more depth so I washed it with that brown liner.  They dont' look bad, but they don't look as good as I hoped.  The win was learning this brown liner wash.

Misses:
      * I tried washing over the leather colored kilt with a black wash.  Big miss!  Messy, wrong tone, and ruined it.  Had to do it again.
      *  Tried a red color for the waist cloth (same red you see on the eye-patched minitaur on his wrist bands) and it was too similar in color.  I was aiming for brighter colors to break up the model.  I don't think it worked.  Did it over again with MSP Leather.
      *  I hate the fabrics on their kilts.  None of them came out as I hoped.  Only one with decent turn out was the eye-patched guy with his kilt-o-faces.  
      *  Washes ended up heavy and very, very, very glossy.  So glossy in fact, I couldn't even tell if they were dry or just glossy.  Using flow improver on top of an ink is basically like making it glass.  Good to know, but not desired look.
      *  The swords and metal overall wasn't ideal.  Kind of dark for what I wanted.  I chickened out on the NMM.  Again.

I'm happy to have these little guys done and don't think they are bad.  Just think they could have been better.  Getting to understand the washes, glossiness, what matte cote will do it after, and the eyes - oh those eyes, this was all a project worth doing even if it wasn't my ideal turnout.  Here they are.

As always send me any feedback you got.  

• By billeecats
      Newbie post. I've only painted half a dozen or so figures so far, but I'm enjoying myself, and that counts, right?! 

She's painted with a mix of Reaper MSP and Vallejo Game Color. I haven't done so yet, but I think I'd like to start chronicling the colors I use for each future mini. 

30001 Lysette, Elven Mage 

• By billeecats
      Another newbie post. This one I painted exclusively with Reaper paints. I need better brushes, but for now this will have to do. I initially wanted to paint his coat as black/gray leather, but couldn't quite figure it out, so it became this black/blue fabric thing. I need to practice my leather effects. 

44013 Jakob Knochengard

• By R2ED
      Finished him.  Since he's already got a base, I'm cashing this one in as it is.  

• Who's Online   15 Members, 0 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)