Book Club, but for minis - Reaper Club?

As a side note, that Lysette model and cleaning off the excess around the knuckles on her sword hand... not fun.  Left it looking a little shredded.  The new plastic is great, but did not fare well in trying to shave off the excess rather than cutting into it.  Let's see how she holds paint. 

Edited by R2ED
  • Like 1
  • Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I found WIP minis while packing up to move that I didn't even know I HAD.    After the Great Unboxing, I've got my work cut out for me.   Huzzah!  --OneBoot :D 

Working on shading and midtones. Thought the blue would be darker. I'm going to have to go over it again with something.      The group so far:  

Wow so I had a goal of finished by midnight on sunday, didnt set an alarm, got lost in the fun of painting and I kid you not; I put my brush down at 11:59:57pm.    Here is Lysette, I'm calli

Posted Images

I started with Bones 1 and have pretty much got everything from all of the kickstarters. Unfortunately almost all of it is packed up since we are getting the house ready to sell and move. I have a couple out that I can work on until I get moved and unpacked. I will see what I have and get started.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Hibou said:

I got Jakob cleaned up and glued down to a magnetized base. I plan on getting some stynlerez primer on him and laying down some base colors tonight.  

Love the stynylrez primers. I brush it on, never had a problem.

• Like 2

I am going to be brushing it on.  I have an air brush but recently moved it upstairs for better ventilation. And right now it’s so cold out I don’t want to open that window even a crack to put the exhaust the window.  So brushes it is.  

• Like 2

I cleaned Jakob, too.  He has some weird flash on the scabbard, zombie head, and under the hat.  I think the only one that's going to really show is the zombie head, but oh well.  

I haven't used any stynlrez stuff yet.  I keep trying to tell myself not to get excited by people mentioning a tool, paint, or accessory because it's like I have to justify getting it.  I'm hitting a point of overload and need to work with what I have.  A new thing requires more time to work with it, experience it, get better at it.  FOCUS, DUDE!  Do I need it?  No.  Do I want it?  yes...

Okay, both of the models are primed and cleaned.  I can't wait to see the work, folks.  

Just to reassure those of you who don't have the matching models or can't do the paint this week - this is only the test week.  The real thing we're trying to test is the rhythm, communication, and how we organize this.  When we all get our Bones 5 it'll be a lot easier because we'll all have the figs we need to be a united front.  

• Like 1

I started to paint on the 25th Ann. Lysette, but it was not going well and she was shelved so I am going to skip the pic for now. When I have a better idea of which direction she is going I'll share. I'll dig out Jakob and start prepping him this week, too. 

I have found when trimming mold lines on bones that it needs a brand-new sharp blade and a light touch. So I keep two knives, one with a new blade, and one older blade for rougher scraping and gouging. 

Stynylrez was in the swag bag at a couple of Reapercons, so I have a bottle or two but haven't tried it yet. Reaper's brush on works fine for me when I can't spray. 

• Like 1

Well my mold lines are cleaned up with just an exacto knife, didn't have any major incidents but the plastic does have a strange shredding quality to it. Took a lot longer than I wanted to in clean up and so I think I'll try not priming this model to see how that fairs compared to regular Bones.

My partner gets to choose the color scheme, and here...we...go.

• Like 2

The plastic feels more "grippy" to the touch on Lysette.  I'm betting it'll be better for paint adhesion than without.  I can't do a mini without priming it.  I know they say you can.  Just...i can't. 

• Like 1

Well for my day one progress I got Jakob cleaned up, primed and did his hat, gloves, and boots. I also got a good start on the vampire head. 

Tomorrow I will tackle his skin tones, eyes, and hair. 

I still haven’t decided what colors I will do for his clothing.  Most of the examples of him I have seen have portrayed him as wearing a leather duster.  I think I may go a different route with mine. 
I will try and get some photos when I get a day off on Thursday.  

• Like 3
10 hours ago, crowsandbones said:

Well my mold lines are cleaned up with just an exacto knife, didn't have any major incidents but the plastic does have a strange shredding quality to it. Took a lot longer than I wanted to in clean up and so I think I'll try not priming this model to see how that fairs compared to regular Bones.

My partner gets to choose the color scheme, and here...we...go.

I had the same experience with the Krampus model. It's the first mini (ever) that I painted without priming it first. Didn't turn out terrible imo, if you discount the actual painting of it lol

Edited by billeecats
Sp
  • Like 2

I honestly think the worst part for me in this painting endeavor is not being able to paint during the weekdays.  I have my desk operation set for work from home through the week, and on the weekends get to convert it back to painting station.  Having to wait and see progress everyone might be making is pretty fun - and builds anxiety for me.  Fear not, though!  I realize that my painting weekends can usually knock out between 4 to 5 minis, so it's a matter of self-restraint and anticipation to getting to lay that brush on those minis.  

Patience young Jedi...

• Like 1

It's hard to find large blocks of time to paint, so I take a "baby steps" approach. I might clean 1 figure, or wash 1 bones model. Today I'm going to spray dullcote on a couple of last month's paint jobs. It's not an overwhelming task, it all adds up at the end of the week, and then when I have time to sit down there are figures ready.  I think too often people look at their pile, and get overwhelmed by decisions and sheer numbers and either do nothing, or leave feeling like they haven't done "enough". 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Inarah said:

It's hard to find large blocks of time to paint, so I take a "baby steps" approach. I might clean 1 figure, or wash 1 bones model. Today I'm going to spray dullcote on a couple of last month's paint jobs. It's not an overwhelming task, it all adds up at the end of the week, and then when I have time to sit down there are figures ready.  I think too often people look at their pile, and get overwhelmed by decisions and sheer numbers and either do nothing, or leave feeling like they haven't done "enough". 

Definitely feel this sometimes. Last night was fairly busy for me, had to give Lysette a trim and a bath in small bursts as I found moments. Tonight I'll take a stab at blocking in base coats and lining. Still figuring out my order of operations, this will be my first attempt with lining. I figured it would help establish shadows and add definition before I layer up.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.