Book Club, but for minis - Reaper Club?

R2ED

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck, @billeecats.  I know it's mixed results for everyone.  Also could be that I'm like a bull in a China shop with an xacto knife.   either way...

I've got them both cleaned, primed, and calling out to me.  "I'm sorry...i don't have time yet.  Soon.  Very soon."  

20210202_180658.jpg

I have an idea for the weeks ahead. 

Since the spreadsheet only shows one other mini with 4 of us overlapping with the same fig, i might run it next week for that one. But, the following week might be fun to do the singles that only one person owns to help clear some of the one offs.  I didn't intend for people to have to buy anything.  If we continue to do one per week, we can all make great progress until "it" arrives.  I can't even say it's name without getting too excited. 

Might be cool inspiration to see who comes up with what on their single.  I am pumped already to see what comes out of the current two choices.

• Like 2

I found Jakob and Blink the gnome today and plan to get started cleaning them tomorrow. Can't say they will be done in a week. but progress will be made.  I tend to have multiple figures in various stages of completion going at once. 

It's fun to see how others paint the same figure, but with thousands to choose from I don't expect our interests or purposes to overlap too much. 

I try my best to do stages.  

Stage one: picking 2 to 8 models to clean and prep.  Usually a theme or set that will have similar colors. 

Stage 2: priming and getting ready

Stage 3: painting 

Stage 4: adding varnish and sealing paint

Stage 5: basing

I feel like really 3 and 4 can happen in the same day and mostly so, but keeping them in stages helps me know i can stop and pick back up.  Basing is a whole other process for me, so often i get done painting and sealing, then leave a lot of them baseless until i come up with an idea for them.  Rarely does it hit me an idea all the way through all of the stages. 

• Like 1

Jakob and Blink are cleaned, based, and primed.  Expecting sub-zero temps here going forward so no more priming for a while, but plenty to paint. 

Added 77659 Willow Greenivy and 77701 Amrielle, ranger to the list of figures I have available. 

• Like 2

As of this morning, Lysette has been base coated except for her sword and the base. I had trouble with the small of her back that's hidden by her hair and will need to touch up a few spots before lining. While I didn't get as far along as I planned, I really like where she's going at this point. 

Notes: 

NO PRIMER.

So far the Bones USA plastic is taking paint like a dream. HOWEVER. I do see the benefit to under coating or priming in a base color as the dark grey may not be desirable depending on the painter/color scheme. Her hair took 3 full coats to achieve peak opacity but that's because I'm using Punk Rock Pink(my partner really challenged me there when she picked the colors!). I should have undercoated the hair with white but here we are.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, crowsandbones said:

Her hair took 3 full coats to achieve peak opacity but that's because I'm using Punk Rock Pink(my partner really challenged me there when she picked the colors!).

Nice!

I've had two unreasonably long days at work, with no time to paint. It'll be nice to get a few hours to do that tomorrow and on Saturday. 

I did get both Lysette and Jakob primed, though I will likely only get one painted this week. 

Edited by billeecats
Sp
  • Like 3

Found Lysette.  Not sure what I was thinking when I started her, not even sure what paints I tried. Going to paint over her once I have given it some thought. I have done one of her in green and one in purple.  

DSCN1974.jpg.4edf1f7172a527b36cfee4a7cc35ee7b.jpg

Older versions:

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/37903-the-beginning-of-an-elf-army/&tab=comments#comment-543880

Spoiler

DSCN7825.jpg.b73719a988688d0594783ffd68509823.jpg

• Like 2

Day 4:  I got more work done on the face and beard and more or less finished the jacket. I started doing the metallics on the sword and greaves. I did a rough NMM. It’s a skill I am just now learning and I am deciding if I want to keep it or paint over it in favor of getting done by Sunday.  

• Like 4

Yet another long day at work, but I got some basecoating done on Lysette. So far I'm going for a predictable blue-green scheme on her, although I might try a silver blonde on her hair... I've never done that on a mini before.

Still trying to figure out what I want to do with Jakob. 

• Like 2