Book Club, but for minis - Reaper Club?

R2ED

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Inarahyou know it's funny you mention the details.  I usually get lost in them and frustrated.  I kept that color scheme super simple and it really made the painting more enjoyable.  I need to really rethink my need for colors.  That model we all did in the beginning called Blink is a good example of too many.  

Nice skellies.  I need to do some skeletons.  It's like the thing that most painters do for "easy". I think it's a good practice piece.  Yours came out great. 

R2ED,  you are welcome. I haven’t had any time to paint this year.  Life out side of the hobby has really cut into free time.   I’ve got a bunch of bones skeletons primed up to show my brother a few painting techniques but life just keeps getting in the way.  

• Like 2

@Hiboulooks like we're all handling things in our own way.  I've been forcing myself to pick up the brush.  I can't fish because we're in a drought and the lakes here are about 10% capacity (so sad).  The variation in weather from 80s one week, down to 40s ans with snow the next.   Work feels insane with all the obstacles we're still tackling from covid and being affected by other countries restrictions.  It's rough out there for sure. 

I'm doing what i can to reinforce the positive to keep my head on and those around me uplifted.  In the grand scheme of things it's not bad, it's just awful in the moment.  I look forward to calmer days in the fall. 

As for teaching your brother, that sounds like fun.  Just put a 2 hour slot together and go for it.  My bet is it'll turn into 3 before you know it and away you'll be off painting again.  The thing that drives me to pick up that brush is the desire to share the work and feel slight improvements each time.  Some are stepping back, but even in looking through the history of this groyp i can see an incline in our work.  

Sorry to hear it's heavy over there.  Life is rough, for sure.  Don't let the moment get you, and keep the perspective of looking back and using your time to the fullest.  Good luck,  @Hibou

• Like 2

My brother is a solid painter. he took a lot of art classes in jr high and high school. He’s let those skills lapse but he still has the core competencies.  When he paints minis he does a better job than most but techniques specific to mini painting are foreign to him.  Drybrushing, washes, lining are stuff he wants to lean and skeletons are good for that.   

• Like 2

Speaking of skeletons, finished these today: 

DSCN2799.jpg.ced02cf8a6f6b76f9e5ac803986ed142.jpg

I was trying to keep colors to a minimum, but needed something in there to break up all the armor.  Got a few more of them to finish this week.

Broke out the rust red to paint the little guy with 2 axes, and his twin, and their cousins with one axe apiece. Then the little winged demons jumped in the pile.  Right now I'm working on getting base colors down. 

DSCN2798.jpg.709d43aafb23193cde21a577af675e29.jpg

• Like 2

20220430_203427.thumb.jpg.9656ee98e7105929b302b6e33b574395.jpg

Used only reaper paints this time. 

20220430_115058.thumb.jpg.a3dcf5c361aa9d54e29fe3f9139e8d46.jpg

Still hate white armor, but this one was better. 

20220430_114955.thumb.jpg.2ca59edcf14676650c223e960379cd89.jpg

@Inarahthis was one of those you were primed up to do and i pulled out to do it, but forgot to finish.  Got it done. 

• Like 2

Those all came out nice. I don't remember the vampire with bats, it may be in the pile somewhere. 

I finished all 6 skeletons but don't have a pic.  I'm slowly working through kobolds and goblins, got these done: 

DSCN2834.jpg.8dd9f6a3c70225ab1671702c4a08d42d.jpg

DSCN2806.jpg.1ffaa22d26a59e024bcd22890bc4d714.jpg

I like the little guy with his tongue lolling out. 

Also finished the dire weasel: 

IMG_20220430_095348691.jpg.6cc36250845280921411e1b7485de639.jpg

Finally got some gaps greenstuffed on the centaur, so I can continue with that. Not much to take a picture of right now.  Also pulled out a few villagers to work on when I need something easy. 

But today's project is replacing the raised garden bed. The fun never ends. 

• Like 2