Book Club, but for minis - Reaper Club?

I am going to take this week off. I found out last night I am going to be training for a different position at work. It will require a lot of homework so my time for painting is basically non existent.  

• Sad 2
  • Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I found WIP minis while packing up to move that I didn't even know I HAD.    After the Great Unboxing, I've got my work cut out for me.   Huzzah!  --OneBoot :D 

Working on shading and midtones. Thought the blue would be darker. I'm going to have to go over it again with something.      The group so far:  

Wow so I had a goal of finished by midnight on sunday, didnt set an alarm, got lost in the fun of painting and I kid you not; I put my brush down at 11:59:57pm.    Here is Lysette, I'm calli

Posted Images

What might be easier is each week we know who's opted in.  I know the goal is every person is supposed to do it, but life does take priority. 

If on Sunday you get your completed one in and then opt out if needed, that's totally cool. That way I'm not chasing down anyone who is in, but may not have been that week.  I also updated the sheet in yellow for the minis I've picked on this week.  And i changed a column that may have confused some folks "owned" is now "people own" - it is to give a quick tally of how many x's are in that row so picking a mini that a lot of people have is easier.  So far the highest number up to what we've already done is 4.  Those who have their "box o shame" will have to update the minis list for more accuracy on what we have in common, but i know the difficulty in having to catalog... especially for those who have a previous Bones KS.

All said, this is still open to anyone who wants to join in.  Not like it's closed just because we kicked off a new week.  Anyone feeling brave enough to hit this mid-week or even on the last day, by all means let us know you're wanting in.  More is better!  

Lastly, i looked at the bones 5 spreadsheet, but I'm not sure how accurate those SKU numbers are.  I can begin adding them to the current sheet under another tab, but want to make sure i got the listings right.   The sheet I've seen so far has 3 to 4 digit SKU for Bones 5 models.  My understanding is they are usually 5 digit.  Any guidance on this? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The kickstarter numbers are usually different than the numbers they get when they go to retail. And I am terrible with keeping records of what I have. I will try to sit down and look up names and numbers for what I am painting this week. Normally I refer to what I have in general terms - Lysette would have been female wizard in my world. It makes filling out the spreadsheet a bit of a challenge ::):

• Like 1

My last two evenings have been spent househunting. It's about as fun as I imagined it would be. <_<

But! We're expecting to be stuck indoors the next couple days because of a possible ice storm. Work is also going to be quiet, so I'm looking forward to painting time!

I made progress on Lysette's staff, with the staff and scabbard somewhat color coordinated for balance. I'll likely be done with her tomorrow, and then I can start on Jakob! 

• Like 3

I've been looking up ideas for my chaos toad.  This is going to sound crazy, but I'm somewhat colorblind.  Working in greens is a real pain in the butt for me, but i continue to try.  If i can find a scheme i like, i ask my family to show me which colors are close in my paints and go from there.   I think I've got the idea of what I'm going to do.  Now i just need Saturday to get here quicker! 

• Like 3

R2ED,   I would not worry to heavily about the color choices for your chaos toad.  First off it’s a fantasy figure of an anthropomorphic toad. No color scene is out of bounds for that.  Secondly, real life species have quite a wide spectrum of coloration.

One of my friends is color blind and he makes great color choices on his minis.  He tends towards more vibrant color palettes and allot of contrasting colors.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 2/9/2021 at 11:38 AM, R2ED said:

Lastly, i looked at the bones 5 spreadsheet, but I'm not sure how accurate those SKU numbers are.  I can begin adding them to the current sheet under another tab, but want to make sure i got the listings right.   The sheet I've seen so far has 3 to 4 digit SKU for Bones 5 models.  My understanding is they are usually 5 digit.  Any guidance on this? 

Technically all Reaper SKUs are 5 digit numbers. 

But the leading zero (if the first digit is a 0...) is frequently dropped. I noticed the shared spreadsheet you’d created does this by default. 

How about put a link to this “Bones V spreadsheet” in this thread?  Then we can look at it and advise. (I think the answer is going to be that none of the B5 models have received their final catalog numbers at this point.)

• Like 2

Been a rough week so far, life has taken over but I've managed to clean up the mold lines on Hakon, he's now ready for primer and paint. With Lysette, I tried a bunch of new things and I think I'll keep pushing that envelope with Hakon too. 

Ive never tried NMM before, so that's my goal with at least his axes and chainmail. If I feel confident I'll also try NMM on the massive warhorn on his back but that has more detailed micro surfaces the might pose quite a challenge...

Side note: I ordered the Mega Bundle, should be here on friday. Is anyone else gonna be getting RVE swag? Looking forward to painting all of it, that big 75mm sculpt especially looks fun to paint.

• Like 3

I've been getting in 30-45 mins most evenings, slow but steady progress.  Nothing worth taking pics of yet.  Kind of regret not getting the new Lysette figure, did not realize she was a limited release.  Sure she will be back with the next KS, but going to check and see if the FLGS has any on their wall. They sometimes get the extras with their monthly orders. 

Looked at the new swag, really only interested in the figures.  May pick up the small box at the beginning of March (don't like the free wizard figure this month or any of the other free figures on offer, so I'll take my chances next month).  Hopefully this deep-freeze weather streak will be over by then.  Not interested in any of the new paint.  Will pick up whatever other figures interest me once the event is over. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Kind of regret not getting the new Lysette figure, did not realize she was a limited release. 

She is still available.  What makes you think she is limited?  I'm pretty sure Jon told us she would always be available.

• Like 3

First @crowsandbones, yes i had thought about purchasing one of the boxes, but i have no invested interest in cyber punk stuff.  I've tried, but i just can't even get my mind on what to paint then as because i don't know the genre well enough.  I think I'm waiting for something else. However, when i tell myself not to spend money, it's like the hobby Gods hear about it and go, "send him some emails on craft store paint deals."  Damn you,  Hobby Gods!

For progress,i can't really get anything done until Saturday, so I'm jealous of those of you who get small bits here and there.  I also love hearing testing out new techniques.  Good on you!  

Lysette, as i heard it was a new USA bones release and a permanent item in the lineup.   https://www.reapermini.com/miniatures/bonesusa. That should get you to her. I do think it's worth testing out.  The new material is hungry for paint and i like it. 

Also @Inarah

Dont let the winter doldrums get you down.  Paint like a boss and screw that cold weather.  If anything I'm grateful when weather sucks because it lowers my guilt of not going outside. 

As a side note, i got these old '84 to '91 minis mailed to me from my parents i used to paint as a kid.  I've started stripping the old, very disgusting primer off of them and can't wait to paint!   I might try to hit like 5 minis this weekend. C'mon Saturday... C'mon Saturday..

Oh!  @TGPanother thing.  I will come up with something for our sheet and bones 5. Thanks for the recommendation.  I'll get creative....

Edited by R2ED
  • Like 4

I should be receiving the mega bundle tomorrow also. Along with all the free figures, so I will have those available to paint until I have to pack up the last of the hobby stuff - probably the day I move :B):.  I am getting paint on my current figures in the few minutes I have each day. I looked them up and am working on stone giant 77336, stone giant champion KS4 625, stone giant carver KS4 626, and a skeletal chimera 77924. I am sure my players will appreciate the new paint jobs next time they meet them. Note to all - I paint for the table for the most part. If ReaperCon is live this year, I will try a little harder on something to enter.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, R2ED said:

Oh!  @TGPanother thing.  I will come up with something for our sheet and bones 5. Thanks for the recommendation.  I'll get creative....

I noticed when it sorts by the SKU column that it separates items with letters and numbers. Such as "3806B".

I did enter one item this way. He was one of four figures in a set. When Reaper creates small sets like that (with one SKU for the set) they internally list them as 3806A, 3806B, ….. 3806G and so on.

You could add something to the item numbers you have in that Bones5 sheet. Just tack something on the end of each number:

KSB5, KV, KS5, I dunno. I would avoid using A-G because Reaper has already used those letters for multi-component SKUs. Anyway if the B5 numbers sequence looked like:

131KS5

132KS5

133KS5

134KS5

It would group all of Bones5 separately when it sorts. (Possibly there is a better, preferred way to do that in a spreadsheet? I am maybe 2nd lvl with Excel or other spreadsheets.)

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Serenity said:

She is still available.  What makes you think she is limited?  I'm pretty sure Jon told us she would always be available.

:blink::ik_oops:  Totally missed that, thanks. I saw her in a January promo blurb and thought she was limited for some reason. FLGS did not have her, not surprisingly.  She is an awesome sculpt.  I picked up 77520 Deep Ones today instead. Can't have too many fishmen for the table.  I put them in the spreadsheet in case someone else wants to paint them too. 

Thanks for the words of support @R2ED.  DH and I are spending Valentine's Day painting together. Should have some photos to share. 

55 minutes ago, TGP said:

It would group all of Bones5 separately when it sorts. (Possibly there is a better, preferred way to do that in a spreadsheet? I am maybe 2nd lvl with Excel or other spreadsheets.)

Best to make a separate spreadsheet page for Bones5. Google handles having them on a 2nd page pretty well. Could even break it out by section: core, options, expansion sets each on its own page. 

• Like 4