Book Club, but for minis - Reaper Club?

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I found WIP minis while packing up to move that I didn't even know I HAD.    After the Great Unboxing, I've got my work cut out for me.   Huzzah!  --OneBoot :D 

Working on shading and midtones. Thought the blue would be darker. I'm going to have to go over it again with something.      The group so far:  

Wow so I had a goal of finished by midnight on sunday, didnt set an alarm, got lost in the fun of painting and I kid you not; I put my brush down at 11:59:57pm.    Here is Lysette, I'm calli

Posted Images

Got#2 done!  Although, this one was a considerable challenge due to the lack of detail in the mold. I found had to use black lining to bring out detail. Or add something like the checker pattern on the helm. Far from my favorite. 

I'll post the difficulties in the WIP. Good news is you all had me dying to paint again this weekend.  Thanks for the push.  Now i may want to venture into those old 80s Ral Parthas that got sent to me.  

Let's go, Team!  Get that paint on! 

20210213_111407.jpg

• Like 5

Got another one!   

I saw this video on a got who did his Tyranid army from Warhammer in this fashion.  Thought it was awesome. 

I'll post more on it in the WIP.

Gotta make these weekends count. 

20210213_141339.jpg

• Like 6

Nice work on the crab. I'm always a fan of naturalistic coloration on creatures.  I'm planning to pick up another one of those and do a pair sometime. 

Not sure how much is visible but I made progress today. Much happier with the blue coats on the guys, and the woman with the skull mask is done. I have to paint the face on the woman in blue and she'll be done. 

DSCN1999.jpg.da266c5ce6033c1a37f9efd46d852560.jpg

Also cleaned and based a ninja figure for later, and started cleaning up 4017 Aeowyn.  My cast is very rough and needs a lot of surface prep. With temps this week I can't prime but I want to have stuff ready for when the weather breaks. 

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, R2ED said:

@Inarahthey all look awesome.   Again, the all blue squad is a cool touch.  Who is the one with Hell Boy's Good Samaritan? 

From left to right:

59043 male ripper

59042 female ripper

59044 ripper crusader

44013 Jakob (vampire hunter)

Didn't intend for them to all be blue, but there's only so much you can do with a long coat and I did not want to go all black. 

If you like Hellboy you ought to look up SKU: 80058 

• Like 2

I got work done yesterday, but looks like today will be drywall and flooring day. Sorry for the picture, but I am currently working on a folding table in the living room with whatever I can get out of the half packed boxes. 

KS4 625 Stone giant champion

KS4 626 Stone giant carver

77336 Stone giant

77924 skeletal chimera

Not sure what I will do next week, should know and post by Tuesday. I might even have a space to set up the nice new lightbox from the RVE hobby box. I am loving the paint rack.

Paint club1.jpg

• Like 3

Aaaand calling her done as well. I can see things that need cleanup and need to be neater, but if I mess with her anymore, I'm just going to ruin whatever is actually complete. 

30001 Lysette, Elven Mage

PXL_20210215_012855907.MP.jpg

Edited by billeecats
sku
  • Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By R2ED
      Finally got back on to some painting.  It was a minor win, but just basing this dude feels good to be done.  One cool thing i thought was fun is that i put a footprint in the mud under his left foot.  Kind of a small, but cool detail. 

Done. 
    • By R2ED
      Got them based

• By R2ED
      3rd animal done this weekend, but feeling good making some good progress.  Still trying my best to commit to getting a few done every weekend.  

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      *  I watched another Dr. Faust painting video (the dude is my hero) and gathered some thoughts on how I wanted to approach this wolf.  Browns, tans, and a pink little tail.
      *  The two tones of Rust (Dark and Light) blended well across the two fur areas.  Bringing up the highlights from there was much easier using family of colors.
      *  Being VERY gentle with drybrushing and not rushing it, like I have in the past.  Thanks to much feedback I took a different approach on this and feel like it improved the outcome.
      *  I deepened some of the areas with Agrax Earthshade, but it didn't come out with as much definition as I wanted, so I swapped out for a glaze of German Black/Brown and it helped them a lot.  Win.
      *  Tusks look great, but took me about 5 different layers to get there.  

Misses:
      *  So...I clearly rushed my cleaning on this one and I kept finding more and more little mold lines.  It was making me crazy.  Shame on me!
      *  The mouth isn't as clean as it should be.  The coloration could be a brighter pink or something. 
      *  The exposed bone on the head the more I look at it, the less I like it.  Not sure how I can improve this, though.  Thoughts?
      *  Eyes, much like the bunnies were just black.  Needs something else to help it pop.
      *  Is the pink tail weird? 
      *  On the tail portion, I did laugh to myself making the nutsack stand out, but whoever made this model made that detail.  I laughed, but it needed to be done.  Sorry not sorry.

It took about an hour and a half, so I'm pretty happy with speed on this one.  Next up - basing.  Love the feedback if you've got any.

• By R2ED
      Got another bunny done for the weekend.  Feeling pretty good on getting some animals done.

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      *  Using another photo for inspiration, I was interested in that this bunny photo had a slight 'blueish' tone to the color in the grey.  I was interested in trying to match it.  Used Denim Blue, Grey, and black to get it.  Came out pretty good!
      *  The white was also one that I needed to be able to highlight up and I didn't want to use another grey. I ended up going with the Ghost White, which had a light blue to it, and I thought went with the grey color I mixed, too.  
      *  The colors blended well and I was able to use the same technique I used on the other butterscotch bunny of doing a feathering of lighter color to bring the hair detail forward.  
      *  Used a nuln oil diluted for the recesses and around the tail.  Worked good enough.  Wouldn't have minded a little more contrast, but still cute.

Misses:
      *  I didn't highlight up the fleshy colors on the nose.  I somewhat feel it needs more of a "pop" and think it was a miss that I didn't.
      * The white is still on the weaker end and coudl have gone a little darker so I could bring the white hair forward more.  Using the zenithal highlight helped, but still wanted more.

These were both super fast and only a handful of colors needed, so both bunnies were solid.  Open to any feedback ya got.  

Now I gotta base them with something cute and fun...

• By R2ED
      Finally the weekend!  What a wait it felt like to get here.  

With it being the Easter weekend, I figured it'd be fitting to do some bunnies.  I had hoped to make these for a family member and ship them out, but that didn't pan out.  However, getting them painted is still better than not.

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      *  The butterscotch coloring I saw on some rabbits on Whidbey Island, I couldn't help but use as inspiration.  Matching them to how they came out, I'd say was better than I expected.
      *  Using very, very simple colors and just pushing the colors up with mixing them worked great!
      *  Making the details come out more by using very faint streaks of diluted paint worked great to give the impression of individual hairs sticking through.  I think this will be used in other models I do as well.  
      *  Eyes have a nice pop to them, but was thinking some more color would be good.

Misses:
      *  I was thinking of putting some wash in there to bring forward the creases, but I didn't want to lose that fun color.  Any suggestions?
      *  The eyes have a strangeness to them by highlighting the eye lids.  Would you all suggest doing dark instead of light around the eyes?
      *  Speaking of eyes I wasn't sure if putting a spot of white in there was good or not, so I held off.  

Pretty happy with how this little bunny came out.

• Who's Online   23 Members, 0 Anonymous, 55 Guests (See full list)