Book Club, but for minis - Reaper Club?

Well, folks, it's the close of another Sunday soon (freebie for those of you with a Holiday tomorrow).  I'm so glad to see more contributions and effort into the tally on the week.  It's busy, things people got to do, and yet we somehow manage to squeeze in time to get to the hobby.  I just want to say how much I really enjoy the push to get something painted as we near the weekends. I've felt much more of a push to come up with schemes or look at painting with renewed vision.  I'm really happy with posts you are all adding to this group.  

@billeecatsLove the closeup work and detail.  I think it's cool how we've all taken a slightly different take with ol' Jakob.  I also like your use of the blue/black jacket.  I'm super weak with black and using it in my painting.  I almost feel like it's cheating using it because it looks like the primer layer.  I get highlighting it brings it forward, but I'm super sucky with highlights on black.  Zombie head looks realllllll dead.  Well done!  Lysette also nice and strong.  I did some stippling effects this weekend, too with my little Dire Crab (coconut effect).  I could definitely learn by doing it some more.  

I say pick another ONE that you're feeling like hitting this upcoming week.  Since we have so few in common, it's hard to pick one we all have.  I don't want anyone to feel left out.  Unless we can agree that it's cool to pick which ones we have at least 4 in common and go for it and the folks who don't have that model can pick one from their stack of shame.  Personally, I've loved seeing the similar models we all paint and see the different takes on them.  

Dire Boar is one option 4 of us have.  Personally I've been itching to take a crack at these Mini-taurs.  They are stinking adorable and knocking out a band of them should be a lot of fun.  Anyone have any thoughts on what they want to do?  Jump into a the box o' shame or pick from the list?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I found WIP minis while packing up to move that I didn't even know I HAD.    After the Great Unboxing, I've got my work cut out for me.   Huzzah!  --OneBoot :D 

Working on shading and midtones. Thought the blue would be darker. I'm going to have to go over it again with something.      The group so far:  

Wow so I had a goal of finished by midnight on sunday, didnt set an alarm, got lost in the fun of painting and I kid you not; I put my brush down at 11:59:57pm.    Here is Lysette, I'm calli

Posted Images

Aw shucks @R2ED, thank you! :blush:

With Jakob, I wanted to try a black-gray leather effect on his coat, but I settled for the black-blue fabric instead. The next time I have an opportunity, I'd like to try stippling to achieve the leather effect. I haven't even painted ten miniatures yet, so for me, every single mini is an exercise in learning some new technique. I know I still have a ways to go to be anywhere in the same league as most everyone on this forum, but your words (and this club) are super motivating! 

I loved your Chaos Toad Savage and how neatly you mimicked the reference picture, and am kinda leaning towards picking up the same mini with a different color theme, to continue the theme of trying to do as many common minis as we can. 

That said, I'm game to pick up the minitaurs instead as well! 

For next Sunday, I'd also like to set a stretch goal of painting this month's Bones USA model, 30002 Darius the Wizard. 

Edited by billeecats
  • Like 2

@billeecatsOoooo Darius. I've been itching to give that one a shot, too.  The little familiar on his shoulder looked pretty fun.  I got that Hell Boy mini added to my card that @Inarahmentioned, but I feel like I've got too many to place an order right now with April only around the corner.  

Something worth noting is that I did it.  I finally broke down and bought an airbrush.  It's headed my way as I'm typing this.  I did the math with all the cans I purchased in just the last year since August and I've gone through quite a bit of them.  Enough for me to warrant that an airbrush and just the priming alone is worth it (not to mention way, way, way more controlled).  I figured this 200+ investment is worth the $12 to $20 cans of spray I was buying, plus the saved cost to the environment.  As with all tools it's going to have a learning curve, but I'm up for the challenge.  Bring it. This will also make the larger pieces in the Bones 5 that I bought much more primer-friendly and I can do better effects across them.  Consistently.

Mini-taurs for me it is!  If you're down for them, too all the better.  Everyone else who's in make your pick and hold yourself to it.  I really, really, really don't want it to be Monday already.

Oh, and for those of you with significant others - Happy Valentine's Day.  For those of you who don't - Happy Valentine's Day to you, too!  You've at least got us, right?

• Like 2

Very cool @ the airbrush purchase! 

If you do end up getting the hell boy mini (the lion from the Wild West Oz series), let me know and I'll be happy to paint that one along with you. I have that entire group of the Oz minis. (There's a distinct possibility I have a mini collecting problem. I'm trying to turn it into a painting problem ::D:

• Haha 2

I'm going to be focusing on the Avatar of Sekhmet and the death lilies this week. (after Jakob) I want them done before the end of the month for RCL.  Saturday my group meets online for a game, so that cuts a day for me. On the bright side this crazy cold weather means I'll be home all week.   Have fun painting the Dire Boars. I have looked but don't have that one. It should have been in the KS box, but either didn't get included by accident, or DH took it for something. It will be interesting to see how they all look. Or the mini-taurs.  I don't think I have seen anyone paint those yet. 

• Like 2

So I have to call Hakon finished. I'm not too happy with how he came out, and will probably repaint him later on. I really botched the NMM gold on the horn and feel like his over all color scheme got too muddy. I intended him to be a dirty ne'er-do-well mercenary npc... maybe not the right browns together... thoughts?

I'm confident I can do better. 

For next weeks model I'm gonna paint Vodelis Winterhand, but like @billeecats, I'd like to also paint Darius the Wizard if I manage to find the time for both.

20210215_010315.jpg

20210215_010339.jpg

20210215_010345.jpg

Edited by crowsandbones
  • Like 3

I can't wait to get moved and get my stuff out of storage! The dire boar would have been fun or the mini-taurs. I have the Avatar of Sehkmet in my box of shame so I can do that and Darius.

• Like 4

I ended up getting a snow day today so I primed and got a start on Gaaguk Bull Orc Reven Hero.

Right before the cold weather hit, I finally got my hands on some Vallejo Metal Color paints.  His weapons and armor are going to be my first real tests for them.  

• Like 4
27 minutes ago, Hibou said:

I ended up getting a snow day today so I primed and got a start on Gaaguk Bull Orc Reven Hero.

Right before the cold weather hit, I finally got my hands on some Vallejo Metal Color paints.  His weapons and armor are going to be my first real tests for them.  

I have a bottle of Vallejo Liquid Gold, but haven't tried it out yet... Maybe Vodelis Winterhand will have some of that added to his color scheme just to see how it works. I know its an alcohol base, are there any pitfalls I should be aware of besides using a dedicated synthethic brush and solvent?

Edit: will it react badly with the MSP acrylics?

Edited by crowsandbones
  • Like 1

I have not used the liquid gold but I am guessing that as long as you allow drying time between layers you should be fine.  Do not try to mix it with acrylic paint.   Since alcohol can strip acrylic I would be careful to apply small amounts very lightly at first. There's a slim chance that too much abrasion with the brush could cause an acrylic base coat to rub off.  (Like if you tried a heavy drybrush with it)  Let us know how it goes. 

• Like 3

The liquid gold and metal color are two different types of paint. The metal color is a very thin highly pigmented acrylic designed for air brushes.   Liquid Gold is an alcohol based paint with high pigmentation. 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Hibou said:

The liquid gold and metal color are two different types of paint. The metal color is a very thin highly pigmented acrylic designed for air brushes.   Liquid Gold is an alcohol based paint with high pigmentation. 

You're right, I realize that. My brain just made a big leap and I didn't phrase my question very well. I was just curious if there were any issues like @Inarah mentioned above. I'd hate to lay down some acrylic layers and then strip them accidentally with the alcohol base of the Liquid Gold. I am excited to see how the Metal Color paints work out for you!

• Like 2

As for stripping previous layers with the alcohol paints, my guess is a layer of gloss sealer would prevent that.  

The only real issue I am aware of with the Metal Colors is that you really don’t want to use your best natural hair brushes with them.  

• Like 3