Book Club, but for minis - Reaper Club?

R2ED

It's taken a while to get back to the paint table.  I still don't want to spend a lot of time there, but I do want to finish some of last year's projects and clear some space. 

This guy (guys?) was a paint by die roll at the con, originally covered in random bright colors. I figured I might as well make him useable for the table.  I left the hair in original green, most of the rest is repainted. You might see a hint of pink here and there that I missed. 

DSCN3441.thumb.JPG.c49b5e130089984fcf36c70fa5fdb907.JPG

The base was from Secret Weapon.  The original figure base was prone to tipping so I rebased him, and have to say I'm not a fan of the new material.  One foot came apart in 3 pieces as I was trying to cut it from the base.  The plastic shatters like resin.  

This little one was a speed  paint and I didn't have a great selection of paints so I wanted to brighten her a bit. 

DSCN3443.thumb.JPG.913ea7241f344e322c9976d587340b2f.JPG

I'm hoping to finish a few other speed paints later this month or next month. 

• Like 4

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@InarahI had some traveling work too, that prevented me from painting. I have a bit more travel planned later this month and some next month. I'm trying to fit these in where I can. I went big in January to get ahead while I could. 

The ettin looks fun and I can't spot any pink.  I also feel you on cutting those from their bases - they break!  I posted a general question to see how others are cutting away from the sprue, but there's no real best way, just more what works for you.  I wanted to use more of the base boss stuff I got, but the amount of cleaning and such I have to do to use them (hoping they don't shatter) is tricky as well.  Not to mention I have to cut the existing base off the minis to make them look good.  Just doesn't work when the base is a wood floor and the feet look like they were cut from cinder blocks.

• Like 3

It's not the kind of figure I like to paint, but our GM likes to put big bad guys in the game so I did what I could.  Too much effort for something that sees so little play time.  He had a LOT of details, fur, chains, belts, rope, hair, etc. 

Haven't done much with Base Boss yet either.  Was disappointed with the first few I tried to clean. Holding and cutting them is hard on my hands and my arthritis was bad this past fall.  I'm going to try doing a couple a day (when I find them again) and see if I can't get them looking decent eventually.  

• Like 2

I'm reluctant to test that theory.  Water would make the knife slippery.  I did experiment a bit today, though.  I found that if I score the plastic on both sides along the rim, then use the narrow end of the hobby knife I can more or less cut the tab off in two or three motions.  The plastic flexes a bit, but with the tip of the blade it doesn't snap like it does with the added pressure of the wider end of the blade.   I'm still not happy with the appearance of the edge of the base, and it's taking 2-3 mins to clean each base. I've got to get that down to a minute or less from cut to finish. 

• Like 2

Was able to work on this over the weekend.  It's a figure I started two years ago during a paint-along, but I was unable to keep up.  I've been going back and watching some of the original videos and taking note of what I missed.  This weekend I did a lot of lining and touch up of areas, and some color correction on the weapons.  Next I need to tackle the skin. 

IMG_20240218_161229182.jpg.a2b4fce681e06b75ed33fe5d09bc801e.jpg

• Like 4

On 2/18/2024 at 4:25 PM, Inarah said:

Was able to work on this over the weekend.  It's a figure I started two years ago during a paint-along, but I was unable to keep up.  I've been going back and watching some of the original videos and taking note of what I missed.  This weekend I did a lot of lining and touch up of areas, and some color correction on the weapons.  Next I need to tackle the skin. 

IMG_20240218_161229182.jpg.a2b4fce681e06b75ed33fe5d09bc801e.jpg

That's cool. 

I finally had more time to get back to painting.  Finished the models. Time to base!

I'll need to wait for the ground to dry so I can color and blend it.  The white looks funny right now, but it will be dark soon.

20240222_210657.thumb.jpg.c4a402e742483b831f2c07241008f72e.jpg

20240222_211405.thumb.jpg.8e29dd539ce0e7fc8ce1d4585e7810f4.jpg

Edited by R2ED
  • Like 5