Basing Bits Starter Kits? Does such a thing exist?

So, I know most people just accumulate random bits over time or cut up unused figs to get what they want.  However, I'm curious if anyone has seen a product that is a collection of bits based on a subject?

What I'm envisioning is a small plano type box with compartments for various bits that might be available in different editions, like a Fantasy Bits Box, or a Sci-Fi Bits Box.  I've seen things from GW and Green Stuff World but it's not random, usually just a bunch of a single item like Skulls.

I'm guessing there isn't much demand as usually Games Workshop stuff comes with lots of extra parts, but having mostly gaming figures and Reaper ones myself I don't have anything left over and would like to spruce up bases without destroying other figures.

EDIT: About 2 second after posting it occurred to me to check Etsy.  Looks like there are some thing close to what I'm looking for there.  I'll still leave this up to see if anyone else knows of other sources though.   Thanks. :)

Edited by Rignes
  • Like 4

Bay of E usually has sprue of some kind, check alt spelling "bitz" as well.  Reaper has a number of weapon and accessory packs, search keyword "conversion".  Crocodile Games sells bits, if you look carefully through their web store you can find not only extra shields and weapons but statuettes, urns, an anvil, etc. Bombshell Miniatures used to do the same....  but I don't see it on their site now.  Hasslefree has a ton of stuff, but you pay to ship from Europe.  Ginfritters still has lawn ornaments, not sure what happened to the other items they used to have. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Rignes said:

So, I know most people just accumulate random bits over time or cut up unused figs to get what they want.  However, I'm curious if anyone has seen a product that is a collection of bits based on a subject?

To be clear, you're looking for a product that is bits/bitz oriented, not a flock/ballast/grass kit, right? You want items that you could use to decorate a base, like skulls, weapons, etc.?

• Like 2
22 hours ago, ced1106 said:

Army Painter also has a basing kit. Probably a better deal if you have snow bases:

80iedvc.jpg?w=1080

I purchased this exact same kit (and quite a few more items) two years ago as I took my first steps into basing.

The one downside was that the basing glue bottle probably sat for ages as the glue inside it seized up into an unusable solid gel. Fortunately, I knew that diluted white glue essentially does the same job, so I filled it with my own mix and have been using that bottle ever since.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

To be clear, you're looking for a product that is bits/bitz oriented, not a flock/ballast/grass kit, right? You want items that you could use to decorate a base, like skulls, weapons, etc.?

Yeah, that's what I kind of had in mind.  Little plastic bits to dress things up.  No so much flocking, grass, or pastes.

On 1/18/2021 at 11:22 AM, SGHawkins09 said:

Model Display Products sells basing kits by Basecrafts. They have a variety of materials like flock and resin bits centered around a theme like forest or battlefield. 

The Basecraft kits look like they may be kind of what I'm looking for.  Unfortunately the Fantasy themed one is out of stock for the moment.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Rignes said:

Yeah, that's what I kind of had in mind.  Little plastic bits to dress things up.  No so much flocking, grass, or pastes.

The Basecraft kits look like they may be kind of what I'm looking for.  Unfortunately the Fantasy themed one is out of stock for the moment.

For random plastic basing bits you can just make push molds from minis you have. You usually only need one side that looks nice.

I saw, they have some nice stuff.  I might just have to through a couple things into my next order.

I also see Green Stuff World sells some interesting stuff.  The crunch plates look neat.  Just Break them down into the size you want and blend them in with some texture paste.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've ordered a couple of things from them in the past.  They have many unique products I can't find elsewhere.  I plan to put a couple of those crunch plates in my next order.  And a few bit bits in my next Reaper order too.

I guess that's one advantage for people who use GW models.  They usually have so many left over parts that you just keep those for bits.

I could just cut up other reaper models but that just somehow feels wrong.  I guess I'd have to suck it up and do that too at some point.

On 1/20/2021 at 11:48 AM, NecroMancer said:

Also Reaper does sell scatter bits.  They don't come as pre-made sets but if you just buy a couple here and there you can amass a nice variety pretty quickly. 

I assume Reaper retail links are ok

https://www.reapermini.com/search/bits

Sorry if this is obvious!

That reminds me just how much I miss the older parts ordering that Reaper used to do

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2