No non-kickstarter Stygian Barge? Say it ain't so!

In the most recent Bones Live session on YouTube, it was stated that there might be no retail release of the Stygian Barge.  I hope this decision can be revisited, because I was really disappointed to have missed the Kickstarter and really want that model!  (Also, I'm hoping to pick up all the terrain pieces that haven't been released from KS4, too, so I hope those are planned for retail release!)

Did anyone else miss the Kickstarter and plan to get the Stygian Barge when it hits you're FLGS?

• Like 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This sometimes happens. 

It's a combination of issues, if I remember correctly. 

There may be problems putting together a proper retail package that doesn't take up too much space but still show it up. If it can't be displayed properly in FLGS they probably won't order it for resale.  

There's usually a limited market so 'gigantic' items doesn't sell that quickly, and production in low numbers is costly.

Setup cost in an injection moulding machine is not insignificant. And storage space for the 99% that doesn't sell immediately is also bad. 

I've seen it for sale for $50 and up online, and I really doubt that one from Reaper will be cheaper.  

It was a $30 option, and I think Post KS backers (using the PM) paid about $45 for it. 

Would you pay $100 for it?

• Like 2

Hopefully, Reaper can revisit some larger items from time to time.  Even if it is only during KS.  It would be a bit of a nightmare, though, figuring out when to revisit which.

• Like 3

Digital files of large models that otherwise can't make it to retail might be a nice compromise for folks who missed out on getting the items initially, but the items turned out to not be ideal for making long term.

I do also wonder if some of these could be made seasonally in limited runs. There may be a small enough limited demand to do that if they could have a high price for the folks that want it. Like one production run of X # barges done each Halloween - prevent them from building up in the warehouses unsold, but let a few get onto the market occasionally. Reaper isn't likely to toss the molds and whatnot needed to make these, so they'll end up sitting around anyway, yes?

• Like 2
8 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

or a pre-order with a limit of the minimum, but again, what would retail be on that thing

High, but if the desire for it is limited, enough takers at a high price might make it worth while occasionally. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't expect it to cost less than $60 if it was regular mass market retail. 

As a limited production run, though, $75 - 100 is probably a better guess. And they'd probably still require at least 100 preorders. 

• Like 3
On 1/19/2021 at 9:18 PM, strawhat said:

Hopefully, Reaper can revisit some larger items from time to time.  Even if it is only during KS.  It would be a bit of a nightmare, though, figuring out when to revisit which.

This is my favorite suggestion.  It has been mentioned in the past for other Kickstarter Exclusives - barring production accidents like Kaladrax.  But things like the weapon sprues, Dragons Don't Share, and other hard-to-find Bones items would likely have an audience  during limited KS opportunities.  Could essentially act as a pre-order.  I feel like Reaper was testing those waters with Nathavarr being included as a Power Up in Bones 5.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, MoonglowMinis said:

This is my favorite suggestion.  It has been mentioned in the past for other Kickstarter Exclusives - barring production accidents like Kaladrax.  But things like the weapon sprues, Dragons Don't Share, and other hard-to-find Bones items would likely have an audience  during limited KS opportunities.  Could essentially act as a pre-order.  I feel like Reaper was testing those waters with Nathavarr being included as a Power Up in Bones 5.

I for one would love to see Nethrymaul the Undying at it's true size! I didn't have the cash (nor did I really want to use it for the resin version) but a Bones redux would be nice thing to see.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, MoonglowMinis said:

Not to get too off topic, but was there a sizing issue with Nethrymaul?  I wasn't active during that KS and picked it up second-hand.

Yes, some reason, China got Neth & Kalay mixed up. Why Kalay is so damn big & probably why some parts were spongy. Neth was suppose to be a huge dragon vs what we got. At ReaperCon, Reaper sold the actual size Neth, but in resin (similar to Mal's resin release) for around 200 or so.

• Like 3