Now before someone starts.

I don't care that some of you will see round vs square as some kind of blasphemy. I use rounds for various other systems. please keep all gatekeeping in your personal dungeons. I don't want to see ugliness.

NOW. so I can find out what to expect, if I show up to say, reaper convention looking to get some warlord in, would I violate any rules by using rounds?

Here is what I am doing so far:
STD: 25mm round
LRG: 40mm round
CAV: 35mm oval
GIANT: 60mm round.

If it isn't something permissible for a warlord match/tournament, I am ok with that, I am going to home brew some scenarios where I can play by myself to get to tinker with the rage system. I just would like to know about getting to play the game as the books only have me more and more excited about playing around. worse case I just buy and paint 1 army on the squares should I *have  to* but the general community spirit seems pretty permissible provide I use reaper models and don't do anything that would be "modeling to advantage" as people say in the 40k community. I am a casual guy who just loves the reaper models style and likes to have fun.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Heisler said:

You could rig something with magnets on the bottom of your rounds and then use square metal plates when needed for Warlord.

That is a neat idea, my bases are all magnetized maybe metal plates on square bases? my rounds IIRC are slightly larger than squares :P

Edited by The Steve
On 1/22/2021 at 12:45 PM, The Steve said:

here is an example of what I came up with. 2 inches was much too small for a "giant base" 

So this is one of the issues you can come across with switch from squares to rounds; many WL models that will fit just fine diagonally on a square base, won't fit on a round of the "same size". Without going in to all the boring details about how base contacts work in Warlord due to square bases, nor the points formulas involved in balancing models of various base sizes, let's just leave it as this: changing base types and sizes can cause some funky imbalances to happen. Mostly, they are pretty minor. If there were a WL tournament, you'd have issues. If you are playing a friendly game, I suspect most players wouldn't really care what your stuff was based on.

In fact, I hope your opponent would actually be more impressed that you brought a painted list, rather than be concerned about what bases they were on. I know I would.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
On 1/28/2021 at 12:26 PM, The Steve said:

that is mostly where I sit, if there was a serious tournament scene, I would be strictly adhering to the prescribed bases.

I didn't realize there was an equation, that something publicly accessible for say homebrews?

It is not; I only know about it because I was part of the design and playtesting team for WL2. Your best bet for homebrew is to find another model with a datacard that is close to what you want.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Shakandara said:

It is not; I only know about it because I was part of the design and playtesting team for WL2. Your best bet for homebrew is to find another model with a datacard that is close to what you want.

that is really cool!

yeah I figured I'd do something like that. Being you are who you are, would your perhaps have a fairly encyclopedic knowledge of suggestions??

On 1/30/2021 at 5:21 PM, The Steve said:

that is really cool!

yeah I figured I'd do something like that. Being you are who you are, would your perhaps have a fairly encyclopedic knowledge of suggestions??

Probably? I haven't played any Warlord in at least 2-3 years, and it's been much longer since I had regular involvement. I haven't forgotten everything yet, though, I'm sure. :;):

Edited by Shakandara

mostly looking at adding in the generics, rats etc. Does base hurt or help cost being larger or smaller? I don't have to be exact but it would be fun to balance the missions I am thinking of based upon a rough cost. Also is there somewhere i can find the old v1 rules? I wanna see how mercs used to be able to work in other forces.

On 2/5/2021 at 11:51 PM, The Steve said:

mostly looking at adding in the generics, rats etc. Does base hurt or help cost being larger or smaller? I don't have to be exact but it would be fun to balance the missions I am thinking of based upon a rough cost. Also is there somewhere i can find the old v1 rules? I wanna see how mercs used to be able to work in other forces.

Rats have datacards in Razig; you can probably find analogs for most "common" things in the soldier datacards for the various factions. If you are willing to dig through my old posts, there should be some discussions about how base shape and size impact potential base contacts, and what that can mean for certain abilities (Swingthrough is a good example). Again, though, since tournament play really isn't a thing anymore, I'd not be terribly concerned about it. If you find in friendly games that a model seems to over- or under-perform consistently, just change the point value slightly to adjust for the change in base size/shape. Don't sweat the small stuff (it's all small stuff).

I'd try ebay or something similar for an old copy of WL1; there are books still floating around out there.

~v

Edited by Shakandara