looking for suggestions on a black lining and wash color

So far chared brown is a great replacement for rhinox hide and I tend to use that brown on most everything so I will be purchasing this one color A LOT! there are other great colors in the MSP lines I am positively smitten with!

I am finding the black wash too thin and also too grey. I am trying to replace all my citadel products with reaper paints. present goal is to replace "nulin oil" and figure out what reaper mediums I need to supplant my contrast paints.

In my opinion you are not going to find an equivalent in the MSP line for Nuln oil. I must have at least 400 plus distinct MSP colors and I'm not aware of anything that would even be close.

• Like 2

I forget exactly which shade of brown Nuln Oil is, but Reaper products use entirely different base components so there will be no exact match.  You might check out Army Painter washes, they have several browns. I like Strong Tone, which is pretty dark, but not black. 

• Like 2

I like using Reaper's Walnut Brown, Nightshade Purple or Dragon Black for blacklining. I sometimes use Black Indigo as well if I don't want the darklining to be super dark.  I also find that Burgundy WIne works really well for "blacklining" around many different flesh tones.  I find that using Reaper's Wash Medium for making small amounts of wash works really well.  Only takes a couple of drops. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

nulin is black. I use it to pinwash and black line primarily.

This guy knows what I am aksing about. I do so like burgundy wine  just sometimes you NEED a black you know?

3 hours ago, Geoff Davis said:

I like using Reaper's Walnut Brown, Nightshade Purple or Dragon Black for blacklining. I sometimes use Black Indigo as well if I don't want the darklining to be super dark.  I also find that Burgundy WIne works really well for "blacklining" around many different flesh tones.  I find that using Reaper's Wash Medium for making small amounts of wash works really well.  Only takes a couple of drops.

Edited by The Steve
don't like multi posting.
On 1/20/2021 at 4:42 PM, The Steve said:

I am finding the black wash too thin and also too grey. I am trying to replace all my citadel products with reaper paints. present goal is to replace "nulin oil" and figure out what reaper mediums I need to supplant my contrast paints.

I don't think you can replace nulin oil or contrast paints with anything Reapers lines in a satisfactory way. Likewise you couldn't replace Reaper's triads with Citadel paint line.

There are options outside of Reaper though.

16 hours ago, cmorse said:

I don't think you can replace nulin oil or contrast paints with anything Reapers lines in a satisfactory way. Likewise you couldn't replace Reaper's triads with Citadel paint line.

There are options outside of Reaper though.

That is unfortunate but Imma try anyway. It won't be a 1:1 replacement but close enough will make me happy.

11 hours ago, TGP said:

I think I would try mixing Blue Liner, Brown Liner, Black Ink and Wash Medium. 

See what that yields. 

Next month when I do my big order, I will get these and try them.

thanks everyone for your suggestions!

base:
citadel: zandri dust spray(looking to replace with reaper terran khaki(9122)
Pinwash:
Reaper charred brown(9426)
Drybrush:
reaper creamy ivory(9144)

metals
brass: just tarnished brass mixed with charred brown and highlighted with tarnished brass
steel: the natural steel triad with a glaze of chared brown on the shadow.

warlord skellies.jpg

• Like 2

Do you have the neutrals triad - Pure White, Rainy Grey, & Pure Black?  Those are useful because they’re a basic lamp black, a true white and a middle neutral grey.

If you want a real black wash you could try diluting Pure Black or maybe Black Ink to make one.

Anne Foerster designed the core paint line.  She recommends mixing paint with Brush On Sealer and Water in a 1:4:2 ratio to make a wash. I would start there and see how it works.

Anne has a free public post on her Patreon covering thinning of MSP paints that is very useful to better understand how to work with the paint line:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/thinning-msp-pdf-41884036

Edited by rubegon
  • Thanks 2