• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!  I think this set was the first "miniatures diorama" set I recall ever seeing.  I loved the illustration it was depicting in 3D, too.  (Found a thumbnail on a Google image search.)

Bridge_of_Sorrows__55982.1586893929.1280

Totally wanted to play a centaur knight, but of course that simply wasn't an option back then.  (Not really sure it's an option in most systems now, either.)

I imagine pinning that dragon properly has to be a real challenge when assembling this set.  How much of a challenge was it to put this together?  (I've only seen this -- once upon a time -- still in the box on a shelf.  I never saw the actual breakdown of parts, let alone actually attempting to paint it myself.)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, Jordan Peacock said:

Wow!  I think this set was the first "miniatures diorama" set I recall ever seeing.  I loved the illustration it was depicting in 3D, too.  (Found a thumbnail on a Google image search.)

Totally wanted to play a centaur knight, but of course that simply wasn't an option back then.  (Not really sure it's an option in most systems now, either.)

I imagine pinning that dragon properly has to be a real challenge when assembling this set.  How much of a challenge was it to put this together?  (I've only seen this -- once upon a time -- still in the box on a shelf.  I never saw the actual breakdown of parts, let alone actually attempting to paint it myself.)

Glad you liked the piece.  As i said earlier, its been hanging around my to do box for what seems like forever.

To my knowledge, it was one of the first.  the miniature is interesting in a lot of ways.  the miniature is a mixed materials miniature, the wizard, centaur, female barbarian and dragons body and horns are metal while the wings and the bridge are resin.  while this made the miniature physically possible at the time, it definitely caused a few problems, not the least of which is that the resin doesn't really seem to want to stick to the metal and the resin casting was very detailed in some spots and in very poor in others.  The joins of both sides of both wings to the body are completely re-sculpted with green stuff to fill in the cracks and there is a 1.5mm thick pin that runs between the two wings that i had to put in to hold them together.  his tail has a 2 mm pin holding the base section to the bridge and there is another 1.5mm pin connecting the base tail portion to the main dragon body   and both legs are pinned as well.  in addition, somewhere along the line the right leg disappeared so i had to re create the leg based on the one that i could actually see but even with the leg intact, this was pretty complex assembly.

also to get everything to stick together, CA glue was not working so i had to resort to epoxy for all of the joints

There were some cool things about the model though.  Both the centaur and the wizard have bases that lock into specific places on the bridge and make a very tight fit, especially neat when you consider that the centaur is in the collapsing section of the bridge. 

though the weirdest question I would love to ask is why does the centaur have a tail like a deer?  its short and has a definite flash like a white tail deer rather than a typical horse.  I spent some time considering changing it to a horses tail but finally decided to leave it as is.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Jordan Peacock said:

Bridge_of_Sorrows__55982.1586893929.1280

All these years & I've never noticed the woman in the dragons claw....ha ha.

Awesome work on a awesome piece.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

though the weirdest question I would love to ask is why does the centaur have a tail like a deer?  its short and has a definite flash like a white tail deer rather than a typical horse.  I spent some time considering changing it to a horses tail but finally decided to leave it as is.

I didn't notice that at first, and when you first described it I assumed it was just tied.  I used to see that sometimes at the track.

But from the image, it reminds me more of a foal's tail.  That often, to me, has a bristly appearance.  It kind of reminds me how the girls' hair would look when they wore those banana hair clips in the mid-eighties.

Maybe the knight lost a good portion of his tail in a fight, and it's growing back? (if you need a story, that is).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Inarah said:

Nice job on a rarely seen classic.  The centaur looks particularly good. 

3 hours ago, haldir said:

All these years & I've never noticed the woman in the dragons claw....ha ha.

Awesome work on a awesome piece.

Thank you! 

I understand.  i had the piece and it took me a while to figure out what it was.  things were made more difficult to figure out as that was the one part of the miniature i could not figure out how to take apart.  The lost miniatures wiki shows her to be separated at the elbow but the one I have seems to have a the arm going all the way through the claw and it all rotates.  Needless to say, it was difficult to paint and i didnt want to break any more than what had already been broken.

2 hours ago, Darcstaar said:

Fantastic work!  Thanks for the background.

Thanks!  happy to oblige.  I may have to break out another of these old pieces and see how it does...

25 minutes ago, strawhat said:

I didn't notice that at first, and when you first described it I assumed it was just tied.  I used to see that sometimes at the track.

But from the image, it reminds me more of a foal's tail.  That often, to me, has a bristly appearance.  It kind of reminds me how the girls' hair would look when they wore those banana hair clips in the mid-eighties.

Maybe the knight lost a good portion of his tail in a fight, and it's growing back? (if you need a story, that is).

Thanks for the suggestion!  I never thought to look at it like a foal.

Looking at pictures of a foal, that about describes what i think the sculptor was shooting for.  I am happy to say he got it burned off and let it go at that.

• Like 4

This is still on my shelf of shame - I've never been quite game enough to put it together. The centaur and the wizard were painted 30 odd years ago but could probably do with a repaint. I even have the issue of dragon magazine that has the artwork as the cover (need to check my bookshelves to see exactly what issue it is).

Great job on resurrecting  a wonderful vignette. I like the colour scheme on the dragon. Makes me want to clear a bit of shelf space to get mine done.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Dr Boom said:

This is still on my shelf of shame - I've never been quite game enough to put it together. The centaur and the wizard were painted 30 odd years ago but could probably do with a repaint. I even have the issue of dragon magazine that has the artwork as the cover (need to check my bookshelves to see exactly what issue it is).

Great job on resurrecting  a wonderful vignette. I like the colour scheme on the dragon. Makes me want to clear a bit of shelf space to get mine done.

Thank you, @Dr Boom I had a great time bringing this one to life!

I solidly remember wanting this so badly when it came out and, when i actually got it, being absolutely daunted by having to try and assemble and paint it.  I am very glad I got it though, it really is a nice piece.  I would appreciate it if you could find out which dragon has that cover art, my older dragons are in plastic and a pain to dig out when I am not using them

1 hour ago, Kuroneko said:

Wow, I've never seen a painted version of this mini. I love what you did with it, especially the centaurs armour- it certainly looks like metal to me :winkthumbs:

thanks @Kuroneko!  I am glad you liked it.  first piece of NMM that i have done that actually looks like metal, rather than just painted greys.  I have a number of the old vignettes, a lot of them still tucked into their boxes.  I will have to see about bringing them forth and getting them to see the light of day! 

• Like 1

Excellent work!

This really is a trip down memory lane :)

I  had the same set back in ancient times, I made spell-lightning with thin wires from twist-lock strips and glitter. Surrounded the thing with cotton wool to look like clouds or water-spray. Those were the days.

Sadly, the golden, hard and very brittle metal (I remember it made a crunching noise when bending) was subject to metal fatigue and broke off at the tail. 
It seems the pendulum-action of the dragon each time a heavy truck drove past the house was too much for it over time, and the dragon faceplanted into the centaur at one point, scarring both for life. I think I still have the set in a box somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

OUTSTANDING! Your version of the diorama is a BEAUTIFULLY  painted creation. VERY WELL DONE!

I did one long years ago for a fellow. His met a tragic end...actually it met the wall when his girl friend threw it at him.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1