Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
To complement my Ent I wanted to sculpt a small toad man. None of yhe available miniatures really fit the bill, so I started from scratch.
After bulking out the body with greenstuff and milliput (to make it less bendy) I made good progress with the skin texture. The combination of micro beads, poppy seeds and super glue applicator tube produced a really nice warty skin texture.
Next are the arms and legs. He will be a plain toad, only a hand weapon will be added inspired by Polynesian arms.
By Kyra Taryn
Finished both of these awhile ago, but finally had time to take pictures now that I'm on "vacation" during quarantine.
My first conversion is for my Fallen Aasimar's necrotic shroud. I used Terezinya, Bonepander Wizard (77173) and the wings from the Bone Devil (77325). This was also my first time painting the Bones line. All my previous minis were metal and I have to say I learned my lesson. While the plastic made the conversion much easier, I just don't like the way my acrylic paints sit on it compared to the metal. Also the lower detail is disappointing. But what do I expect for a fraction of the price though, amirite? (I shared my original aasimar mini in a previous thread.)
I also completed my first green stuff sculpt from scratch. This is my aasimar's spiritual weapon: a scythe crowned with a raven skull. The magic effects are made with hot glue, which I learned from The Crafting Muse and EonsOfBattle. I thought it was a super cool trick, and I even managed not to burn myself. I'm really happy with it overall for a first attempt.
Feedback is welcome!
This is my first try at using Milliput to sculpt. One of my players has a Druid with a turtle shell shield so I made the flat metal looking shield of Tolan into a turtle shell. I may wash or glaze over the shield to tone down the contrast. Not sure what color to use though.
By Rainbow Sculptor
Hey guys! It feels like it's been too long and I miss you all! I received the sculpting assignment for the Brinewind Expansion Doxie figures and I'm excited to post a follow along thread to share my process!
These were really interesting figures. I received the concept art (done by the amazing Izzy "Talin" Collier) and began discussing with the art director some of the major changes that would need to be made. Mainly, we didn't want the orc character attached to the bed. She would be fun to play as an NPC or a PC and we didn't want to limit her usefulness for gamers by having her attached to the terrain piece. Izzy had already provided an alternate pose sketch for her so we are going with that. The more refined piece is still SUPER useful for costuming, attitude, facial expression, and general demeanor of the character.
One of the things I really love about Izzy's art is that she communicates the personality and archetype of the figure SO well. I can imagine how this girl moves, how she talks, what she would like/not like. This is such a great skill to have as a concept artist because when the project gets handed to the sculptor major elements might need to be changed for any number of production reasons. Even if I have to adjust major elements of the figure I can do so with a solid idea of what would fit with the character's personality.
I love this drawing so much! haha They're all great but this one really seemed like a lot of fun. Ron explained that the bed was made of salvaged ship parts (an idea I absolutely loved) and I think it'll be fun for people to find all the little elements throughout.
Some of the body type influences for this figure were Kim K., Marilyn Monroe, and body builders. Here's where I was at after studying those references and creating a ZSphere rig that I was happy with.
I moved the right arm to rest on her hip because I was struggling to figure out how she would rest her elbow on her lowered hip without looking unnatural/awkward. I felt like this had a good flow so I started building some musculature to make sure that the body type I was envisioning would still work in this pose. Turns out that I needed to adjust the right arm because I hadn't left enough space to build up the hip area but that was a simple adjustment. I made the arm a separate subtool by masking and splitting it from the rest of the body (dynameshing both resulting pieces) so that I could adjust it in the future as necessary without too much hassle. (https://i.postimg.cc/44V546hB/Orc-Doxie-WIP-1-5.jpg) Linked for nudity.
On review we realized this was way too similar to the pose of another character from the KS so that right arm was going to have to change. We tossed around a few options. Maybe have that arm raised behind her head, hand in her hair. Arm down just hanging, this felt too lackluster. Elbow bent resting her hand on her chest, this looked too dainty to suit her personality. Tugging at the corner of her corset to entice a client, good but not great. We decided on having her pulling up her skirts to show a little extra leg. This seemed to suit her demeanor/approach to sales well and maintained a good flow to the composition so I reposed the arm and blocked in some basic forms.
...and that's where we end day 1. I spent the first half of the day gathering reference and working on concepts for other projects so this really only represents about a half day of work on this figure but so far I'm liking how she's coming together. Thanks for checking it out, i'll see you guys again tomorrow!
Who's Online 11 Members, 0 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)