6 hours ago, malefactus said:

I am not sure just how much of the Harlequin line Black Hat carries. I got a bunch of their Dwarves from the USA store a few years ago...VERY cool old style minis.

Just looked at their site and it says "
We have sold all of our wargames ranges of figures to other companies and, as of 10th September 2018, no longer produce any wargaming figures."

He gives links to the other manufactures. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well 2020 is over and even though the year wasn't so great I did get my dragon goal of 12 dragons completed (actually completed 15 !) So with the new year I'm looking to try it again.   The

Final pics before I go to the show off thread. I think the whole thing came out pretty amazing!  At the last I added a small interloper who may or may not be permanent... He sort of snuck in and

Started on the dragon body.  No real surprise here, going for a bright reddish orange.  I think I want the wings in blue or green just to add to the contrast.  Thd belly will will be a reddish ivory w

Posted Images

6 hours ago, malefactus said:

I am not sure just how much of the Harlequin line Black Hat carries. I got a bunch of their Dwarves from the USA store a few years ago...VERY cool old style minis.

I don't haunt the Lost Wiki site much. Nostalgia makes me sad; re, I miss all those guys that I knew from my war gaming days & have lost contact with forever. Finding out what happened to the old companies can be interesting though. 

I love the Lost Mini Wiki, no sadness at all, it’s fun to peruse and wander though.  The only thing that gets me down is that so many of those minis are gone, never to be sold again.

With the Lost Mini Wiki, I just wish more people would create pages in the Artists’ section.  It’s lonely out there.....

• Like 3

Did some assembly and pinning work last night.  I'm trying to get ar least a stubby pin in each joint because the metal is so soft.  

20210126_094644.thumb.jpg.e1dba3c17f726244f0aa81a35f1f0b8c.jpg

So I'm having to put in stubby little pins because the Mini isn't that thick but they should help with the structural support.

The nice thing is that the fit on the parts is pretty tight. Here are some pictures of the joints

20210126_094921.thumb.jpg.597c22871d341167416211943f82d6d9.jpg

Everything seems to fit together pretty well.  I bent the wings to give me a little better access (this dragon has a very flat back)  for painting and because it makes the dragon looks more active.  

20210126_094610.thumb.jpg.458dc50092891572370e4762421f863a.jpg

So here is what she looks like today (with some support clamps 

20210126_094845.thumb.jpg.d754c539bd49a97b163297839eee61ad.jpg

Thanks for looking everyone!  More tomorrow.

20210125_215452.jpg

• Like 8

A little further today.  Got the body assembled and the thieves ready to go.  When assembled everything lined up nicely and straight!  There are some fins and tailspikes that still need to be added but not until I get some areas painted.  Next step is greenstuff and primer!20210127_003132.thumb.jpg.165fa6a373fd7dd6752a22f2f5081210.jpg

20210127_003014.thumb.jpg.36e094a07956f8ccc8a2480440240233.jpg

20210127_003048.thumb.jpg.028b97905ec8d45b1f450935de54bdfb.jpg

More to come. Thanks for looking!

• Like 10
11 hours ago, haldir said:

For my attack, I cast Bigby's Clamp!!::P:

I think this needs to be a spell in someone's world!

10 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Clamps to hold things together...  That's what I'm doing wrong with some of my Infinity models! 

You would be surprised at how often this solution doesnt work!  the classic problem of a round peg/square hole comes leaping to mind.  Just yesterday i was stuck acting as a human clamp holding the tail still so the epoxy could set.  This is especially true of ,ahem, 5 minute epoxy.  they should really name it:  Epoxy that does nothing for 5 minutes followed by a 30 second window during which you better be right followed by a lifetime of too late!

every epoxy i have used has gone from liquid to stuck in a bout 15 seconds.  the only delay is how long it takes to get to the 15 second mark.

• Like 6
On 1/29/2021 at 5:19 PM, 72moonglum said:

I love the guy carrying the egg. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a miniature panic before!

I really like the thieves in this piece.  I don't think the guy in the front realizes they are in trouble yet, and the guy in the back is trying really hard to tell him but he's scared speechless!

I finished up with getting all the pieces together filling the gaps (small as they were) with greenstuff and then prime the whole thing in Stylrez red. I think I am going with the classic red for the dragon.  So I painted her, basecoating with liner red so I can paint from darkest to lightest.  That technique seems to to really well for me to keep up contrast levels and prevent the model from looking overexposed.20210130_220046.thumb.jpg.4f0b934ca725ce3ff8f6af2dd4cc2351.jpg

The thieves and the eggs I haven't decided yet but I still have some time for that and for the actual base before I have to commit. 

Overall the detail is really very good and I'm looking forward to actually starting to paint!

• Like 10

Started on the dragon body.  No real surprise here, going for a bright reddish orange.  I think I want the wings in blue or green just to add to the contrast.  Thd belly will will be a reddish ivory working up from the same dark red baseFor now though I'm deciding if the red is bright enough or if I need to come further into yellow.  Anyway, here is where she stands now

20210201_183103.jpg.61b8b34ccf187b619805e17a45733446.jpg

20210203_022716.jpg.fbde670a4416abfbc7dd2a75895db73d.jpg

Looking at the pictures I think I need to go back into the shadows a bit and restore some darkness, especially on the side with the raised rear leg, the color looks too even but I will ask group opinion.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 12

A little more each day.  Today was the belly scales and spines.  I also wanted to try a base blue to see what it would look like its not a bad choice though I will probably need to retake these 

20210203_224211.thumb.jpg.abab7797933a65b45bcb4ca139381bba.jpg

20210203_224217.thumb.jpg.598f9bd3ba8fbd0beceab9980667b008.jpg

The belly scales are nut brown, bone shadow, tusk ivory and polished bone.  The wings look like I'll start with ultramarine shadow and I plan to go to true blue as the strongest highlight and then some sort of swirly yellow or green pattern to break up the large flat surface

• Like 9

got a few more stages done on the clutch of fear this week.  First finished up most of the painting (except the dragon eyes... I cannot figure out if I want to leave that blazing yellow or put in an eye.  I'll probably try something and if I don't like it, white it out and go back.  Anyway, next thing Is placement.  The box art shows the dragon and her eggs on a small island among waters so I thought I would go with that path.  first the appropriate sized board

cof1.thumb.jpg.6b553f7399ff15824d5b4a8507e87c1d.jpgcof2.thumb.jpg.80fd78da522240735c7a4d90f2f1b6e6.jpg

and a placement shot to give some perspective from the thieves point of view

cof3.thumb.jpg.4ec6cf5c1c9198916b63dd3fba07f71d.jpg

after I set up the play I did some carving and some routing work (I enjoy it when 2 of my hobbies can come together...) and then backfilled with more of the island and some additional rocks and a gravel path.

cof1a.thumb.jpg.fc78dd7be00a006a15e0ff7b01633cd7.jpg

cof2a.thumb.jpg.8d27fa2efbcabb845f09abbd02689e64.jpg

cof4a.thumb.jpg.5f2a89262aea96bbbd312d72291a8413.jpg

and then a special view from the thieves perspective with flash and without the overhead lights.  I left the end tab on the board so I have something to grab onto and work from.  I may either put a title plate on it and a small picture of the box art or just cut the end off, I am not sure yet (thoughts are welcome.  I left about an eighth of an inch cutout for the resin water.  next step will be to put on a tape fence around the whole thing and then color the water areas and sand around the island.  then the whole thing gets a clear resin pour to give a thin hot spring effect (like Yellowstone) of water.  Once the base resin is in I will decide if I want the water still or if I need to add ripples in the surface. If the group has thoughts or suggestions, I am happy to hear them!

finally, its a little blurry but I like this shot for displaying just what these thieves got themselves into.  Momma is not happy! 

cof3a.jpg

Edited by Kangaroorex
  • Like 10

Getting there... the base is getting it paint and getting ready for a resin pour

20210211_211904.jpg.9920d560941cd42cce61a3897aed20ce.jpg

20210211_211924.jpg.08eebdba3a21b4c2d0d5098179ffdb42.jpg

20210211_214850.jpg.8b3c8cb1121a37f43d14ecdccb71a3a9.jpg

I am not sure why mama dragon wanted a lapis lazuli obelisk at her hatching ground but she wanted it is she got one.  Painted the sand and Rocks as well as the missing spot for the taken egg. Next step is to pour the pool of sugar waters around the nest.  A hot spring is just the place for a young red wyrmling to take his first steps 

20210213_224502.jpg.15420a9502202ba87a2439b753ffe2e7.jpg

I really like how the color came

out.  Now I get to see if and how badly the seal leaked and if I need to make a second pour.  Tune in tomorrow to find out!

Edited by Kangaroorex
  • Like 11